Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched a most incredible game. It was Kentucky U (3rd seed) vs Oakland College (from Michigan 14th seed), they played in Pittsburgh. Oakland beat Kentucky 80 to 76. Oakland has an ancient coach they hired in the 1980s. He was so old that one of his best players when he started coaching there, had a son playing with this team. As the game came close to the end the Oakland coach was sweaty, poppy eyed, and red in the face. I honestly feared he was going to have an MI right there and require resuscitation right there and then. They had a crazy 3 point shooter that had transferred from a D2 school, Goehlke or something like that was his name. Nobody had ever hit more than 8 3 pointers against Kentucky under Calipari and this Goehlke guy did. Oakland had a very low turnover rate 3 or 4 TOs for the whole game, and their FT shooting was not that good, so their scores were mostly field goals. Both teams had very good defense.

Oakland College advances to the second round for the first time ever in the history of the school. I do not know how many times they have gone to the dance, but I am sure this may be their first or second time. The coach was beyond himself when he was interviewed, Goehlke was calm and collected.

I think we  may have our Cinderella team for this Dance here if they can keep on playing this way. I hope their coach does not have a cardiac event as they advance in the tournament.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

It's nuts in this day and age to have a coach for 40+ years.

Maybe  yes, maybe no. I have not checked the school, but there are tiny to small colleges that really have extremely low resources for an athletic program. Many of these manage to have them by using multipurpose facilities much like a small high school gyms that can be used as basketball courts, gyms, auditoriums, or theaters. I do not know this for sure but these schools probably pay very low salaries to their coaches, and almost certainly have difficulties to get more money to pay coaches a better salary. Under these conditions it makes sense to maintain a low paid coach for a long time.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I just watched a most incredible game. It was Kentucky U (3rd seed) vs Oakland College (from Michigan 14th seed), they played in Pittsburgh. Oakland beat Kentucky 80 to 76. Oakland has an ancient coach they hired in the 1980s. He was so old that one of his best players when he started coaching there, had a son playing with this team. As the game came close to the end the Oakland coach was sweaty, poppy eyed, and red in the face. I honestly feared he was going to have an MI right there and require resuscitation right there and then. They had a crazy 3 point shooter that had transferred from a D2 school, Goehlke or something like that was his name. Nobody had ever hit more than 8 3 pointers against Kentucky under Calipari and this Goehlke guy did. Oakland had a very low turnover rate 3 or 4 TOs for the whole game, and their FT shooting was not that good, so their scores were mostly field goals. Both teams had very good defense.

Oakland College advances to the second round for the first time ever in the history of the school. I do not know how many times they have gone to the dance, but I am sure this may be their first or second time. The coach was beyond himself when he was interviewed, Goehlke was calm and collected.

I think we  may have our Cinderella team for this Dance here if they can keep on playing this way. I hope their coach does not have a cardiac event as they advance in the tournament.

Wow was it on TV? 

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

I enjoy your dalliances using AI for these hilarious posts. I’m a little behind on newer technology so how does one go about accessing the AI function? Looks like fun and I hope to try it out.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

I enjoy your dalliances using AI for these hilarious posts. I’m a little behind on newer technology so how does one go about accessing the AI function? Looks like fun and I hope to try it out.

There was  a time when I was heavy into AI use for market trading, 6-8 years, used Ward's Neuroshell Day Pro which is great and offers almost infinite numbers of variations. I quit this in 2014 after the death of my son. I know real AI, ChatGPT is basically a toy not a usable AI, at least in my opinion. I have never used it. Sorry I cannot help you with  this.