Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

I assume that even a close loss (~5 pts) moves K state up in to Q1 territory for us.

-if this is the case it goes to how or why NET is built in favor of the P5 as it doesn't give enough weight to winning the game

2 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

We moved up after our 6 pt loss to Auburn 

-and I have a problem with that, we lost, winning seems not as highly regarded as I think it should be in the NET

-with that, losing on the road to a top team should not be too much of a detriment

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-and I have a problem with that, we lost, winning seems not as highly regarded as I think it should be in the NET

-with that, losing on the road to a top team should not be too much of a detriment

Just because at team can lose to a top team and improve their NET ranking by a few spots, doesn't mean that winning isn't highly regarded.  I've seen teams that beat at top 10 team on the road improve their NET ranking as much as 22 spots. 

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

we moved up because the computers essentially realized we were probably ranked too low. 

31 minutes ago, almaman said:

Riding K State's coattales ain't looking good down 9 1/4 way thru to #1 Baylor.

5 point game at half. Had it down to 3 before Baylor made a tought layup right at the buzzer.

I'm watching the Misery-A&M game (I have A&M covering in the last game of a small parlay, I don't give a fu©k about Misery basketball)...it's hard to watch. Just a hideous basketball game.

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I'm watching the Misery-A&M game (I have A&M covering in the last game of a small parlay, I don't give a fu©k about Misery basketball)...it's hard to watch. Just a hideous basketball game.

I'm not sure what to make of Mizzou.  As a Mizzou alum, I like Cuonzo and I always root for the local guys (Mark Smith, Tilmon, Pickett) but they are so hit or miss.  They came back from 20 to beat Georgia the other night but have struggled for most the year.  It's clear who the better Missouri program is.

1 hour ago, Fraz42 said:

I'm not sure what to make of Mizzou.  As a Mizzou alum, I like Cuonzo and I always root for the local guys (Mark Smith, Tilmon, Pickett) but they are so hit or miss.  They came back from 20 to beat Georgia the other night but have struggled for most the year.  It's clear who the better Missouri program is.

You finished strong so that's all that counts but I'd work on your opening. 

GBL_Bills likes this

11 hours ago, Fraz42 said:

On offense Mizzou is like St. Joes, they take a ton of 3 pointers (42.9% of their shots are 3s, 57th in the nation), but aren't particularly good at making them (30.5% as a team, 298th in the nation).  With a formula like that you're going to look awful if you're cold from 3 (loss to Charleston Southern) and good if you get hot & hit them (see wins over Illinois, Florida, & Georgia).  It also lends itself to big swings within games (Georgia & A&M games in Columbia).  Overall, though it is not a winning formula unless you can hit them at a better rate.  Mizzou's defense is a lot better than St. Joes so they aren't totally terrible, but they're still a bottom level SEC team.  At the rate they're going 12th or 13th in the 14 team SEC is their most likely finish.

8 minutes ago, almaman said:

They have no Ryan. 

That is true.  They don't have anyone who takes as a high a % of their teams shots as Ryan Daly does for St. Joes.  Keep in mind Daly only shoots 31.7% overall from 3 point range though.  He just happened to be hot against us.  Mizzou has plenty of guys who take a lot of 3 pointers and don't make them at a great clip though.  They also have various guys who can get hot in any given game.  Dru Smith's numbers might look like Daly if he dominated the ball more.

The Mizzou player that really boggles my mind is Torrence Watson.  He had a decent freshman season even if he was a little one dimensional - hitting 36% of his 3s.  He's been totally cold all sophomore year and his shooting just 28.8% while taking over 100 3s.  That's a huge drag on offense.  Even worse, Watson made 8 of 13 against a terrible Chicago State team.  If you take out those mostly garbage time 3s vs an awful opponent,  out he's shooting just 24.1% from 3 on 91 attempts.  He was a very highly touted shooter / scorer in HS.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

That is true.  They don't have anyone who takes as a high a % of their teams shots as Ryan Daly does for St. Joes.  Keep in mind Daly only shoots 31.7% overall from 3 point range though.  He just happened to be hot against us.  Mizzou has plenty of guys who take a lot of 3 pointers and don't make them at a great clip though.  They also have various guys who can get hot in any given game.  Dru Smith's numbers might look like Daly if he dominated the ball more.

The Mizzou player that really boggles my mind is Torrence Watson.  He had a decent freshman season even if he was a little one dimensional - hitting 36% of his 3s.  He's been totally cold all sophomore year and his shooting just 28.8% while taking over 100 3s.  That's a huge drag on offense.  Even worse, Watson made 8 of 13 against a terrible Chicago State team.  If you take out those mostly garbage time 3s vs an awful opponent,  out he's shooting just 24.1% from 3 on 91 attempts.  He was a very highly touted shooter / scorer in HS.

Torrence Watson will be tearing it up at SIUE next year 

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Watson is an athletic 6'5 volume scorer.  That kind of player looks awesome in high school.  But when you break down his game, he's above average at everything offensively but great at nothing.  It's not until such a player is placed in a high major situation that he gets exposed.  Just because you have the resume to go to a high major school doesn't mean you should.

Watson is a better all around offensive player than somebody like Xavier Sneed but Sneed is a plus athlete and a good standstill jumpshooter.  That's been enough to carry Sneed offensively at the high major level but he really doesn't have much else.  Even after four years of development he's only an average ballhandler for his position.  Sneed is much better suited for the "3 and D" role than Watson is.

The college game is turning into a game of specialization.  You better be great at something and build the rest of your game around that.

AGB91 and MusicCityBilliken like this