Other games

brianstl

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If this keeps up the Power 5 with their big boys will start wanting to set themselves apart from the mid majors like football did.  The problem is this is what makes college basketball so exciting and profitable.

Yep, and of course Mizzou is fully on that bandwagon now that NCAA actually had the gall to punish them for, ya know, cheating.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all a little anxious about the P5 or P7 pulling the plug on mids sooner rather than later. After the shockers we've seen in Nov, i.e. Evansville and SFA, and the unlikely and exciting upsets we see every March, I'm not so sure the plug will be yanked any time soon. A lot of fans like rooting for the underdog, and college hoops is the best game out there to provide the David v Goliath drama fans love to watch. TV sports execs are aware of this. I think they know it's the reason March Madness is so special. They will be the final decision makers on the future of college hoops. I don't think they're in any hurry to sign off on an all major bb scenario. 

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

Ugh, Tenn hits a buzzer beater to knock off VCU.

We were happy with the 3 dagger from LaMonte Turner as my wife is a Vol Alum. They played bad the night before with 21 TO's against FSU. Turner had many of the TO's. 

2 hours ago, almaman said:

maybe a turkey overdose reaction but I will be happy with only one serving of the Spiders this season, with or without those 2. up 21 on poor BC with4 left.

The Billikens were up 20 on Boston College, too, but tried to milk the clock without having really mastered that yet, so the Eagles closed the gap some.  I wouldn't use the comparative scores to suggest Richmond is better than the Bills.  Also, isn't Richmond at home?  That makes a difference, too.

We're all a little anxious about the P5 or P7 pulling the plug on mids. After the shockers we've seen in Nov, i.e. Evansville and SFA, and the unlikely and exciting upsets we see every March, I'm not so sure the plug will be yanked any time soon. A lot of fans like rooting for the underdog, and college hoops is the best game out there to provide the David v Goliath drama fans love to watch. TV sports execs are 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The Billikens were up 20 on Boston College, too, but tried to milk the clock without having really mastered that yet, so the Eagles closed the gap some.  I wouldn't use the comparative scores to suggest Richmond is better than the Bills.  Also, isn't Richmond at home?  That makes a difference, too.

The scary thing about the Spiders is that they did it w/o Golden. Hmmm. 

12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I hear you, but Golden has his way against us last year. If the guards are rolling and Golden is playing, Richmond is gonna be a tough W for us.

Your right about Golden and I hope in time Jimmy Bell will learn enough to defend him.  Golden will get points but he will have to deal with a big and tall defender in the paint.

I think Weaver and Collins will defend against Gilyard and wear him out.

Richmond is a good team but we are deeper and better than last season.

Richmond is my second surprise team in the A10 this year.  Well, maybe surprise is the wrong word.  Dayton leads the pack but as three-star said (or brian) a bad night from Obi and who knows.  Chatman and Watson have done well.  And Johnson is finding his sea legs after a year of inactivity.  Also Mikesell and Landers have been, well, Mikesell and Landers in terms of senior leadership and adequate role playing.  Crutcher can be the best PG in the conference.  I see them a notch better than VCU who depends more on streaky shooters like Vann, Crowfield and Simms.

Richmond is, as someone said, five men deep.  Francis is as good as advertised and Sherrod is back at full strength.  I don't have a lot of respect yet for Cato but he did well enough last year and mental toughness is a decent attribute.  But they have no bench of which to speak even with those two sophs who started last year -- Wojcik and Gustavson.  An injury, fatigue or foul trouble will hurt.  There is no way Bell guards Golden --- maybe some inside but Golden will trot to the top of the key where he can shoot or drive.  He ate French  up last year.  We put Hankton or Perkins on him and he'll got down low.  He's a Euro 4 with inside skills ---- much better than Brajokic at Davidson.  

Duquesne is undefeated and Mason is 8 and 1.  Mason has played no one except Maryland and lost there.  But they are developing Miller and Greene with Kier still out.  Duquesne has also played no one but I've seen them a few times.  Carry is doing well and they have a nice compliment in Michael Hughes.  But they have two new guys, 6'11" transfer Baylee Steele and 6'5" freshman Maceo Austin who are doing well.  Again, confidence.  Plus Dambrot is impressing me.  

Rhodey remains the big three.  St.Joe's is Ryan Daly.  Davidson is an enigma at 3 and 4 right now.  Fordham, La Salle and Umass have played no one as they try to build confidence.  Osunniyi is back at Bonaventure but they barely beat Mercer.  The development of teams at Duquesne and Mason will make the overall league tougher.

slu72 and MusicCityBilliken like this

Been waiting for Taj Mahal 79's report on the A10 while he was out playing Gunsmoke in AZ. Tx. It does appear from this casual observer's point of view the league from 1-10 is tougher overall than the past 3 years. If we're 2nd tier, 5-10, that's where a lot of eat your own could take place. 

I've seen DU and am impressed. I've seen Davidson 3 times and  can't figure them out at all. But have no fear Mckillop will get it all sorted out come January. No doubt Dayton and VCU are the cream. Barring serious injuries they should be lock dancers come March. 

I'm not convinced yet that the Bills will do much beyond 17-13. Like I said we're gonna be one of the eat your own second tier teams. Subject to change if we somehow knock off Auburn. The KState game should tell us a lot about what we really have this year. A W against them might mean we're just a notch below Davidson, but still not on DU or VCU level. 

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Your right about Golden and I hope in time Jimmy Bell will learn enough to defend him.  Golden will get points but he will have to deal with a big and tall defender in the paint.

I think Weaver and Collins will defend against Gilyard and wear him out.

Richmond is a good team but we are deeper and better than last season.

I doubt If anyone will wear Gilyard out. He’s an upperclassman now, knows the ropes, and is playing 35+ min per game. He’s hitting over 50% from the three. The KC native has had an All A10 start to his junior year. 

Richmond will be a load for us. They are 8+ deep this season and we all remember how Golden had his way with us in the past. We just don’t have a good matchup for him. He twisted an ankle and missed last game but it doesn’t appear his injury is severe. 

Moody is coaching as his job depends on this season, and it does. 

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I doubt If anyone will wear Gilyard out. He’s an upperclassman now, knows the ropes, and is playing 35+ min per game. He’s hitting over 50% from the three. The KC native has had an All A10 start to his junior year. 

Richmond will be a load for us. They are 8+ deep this season and we all remember how Golden had his way with us in the past. We just don’t have a good matchup for him. He twisted an ankle and missed last game but it doesn’t appear his injury is severe. 

Moody is coaching as his job depends on this season, and it does. 

I would like to see Hankton or even Perkins step up to take him on. If French gets him, they'll play Golden outside all night. Best D against UR is probably the 1-3-1. 

HoosierPal likes this