Other games

brianstl

58 minutes ago, doowop said:

Seton Hall is going to be tough to beat. Their guards are quick and Powell is a very good shooter.  They should have beaten Michigan State but State got help at the end.

So now we can expect the officials to help Seton Hall, even in Chaifetz.  I won't be surprised if at least one of the Big 3 gets two fouls, at least one of which is highly questionable, in the first 10 minutes.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Hall gets shafted at the end by the refs, lose by 3. 

Shut down Powell, we win on Sunday. 

What a game that was. The tall white dude with only consonants in his name was clearly fouled on the arm. Tough break for Seton Hall. A Seton Hall win last night would have amplified our victory on Sunday but I'll still take the win.

BYU beats Houston at Houston with a buzzer beater.

Houston should have won with a steal with  7 seconds left however Houston turned it over going for a dunk, palming call with 5.1 left.

Better idea is to make the opponent chase you until time runs out rather than a dunk that only puts you up by 3.

The new flop rule played a role in MO State losing to Xavier by 3. With 57 sec left, what looked like a likely foul on X on a three pointer was turned into a flop call on MoState. So instead of 3 FT for MoState, X got 1 FT and the ball.  Turned out to be a possible six point swing.

57 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The new flop rule played a role in MO State losing to Xavier by 3. With 57 sec left, what looked like a likely foul on X on a three pointer was turned into a flop call on MoSt. So instead of 3 FT for MState, X got 1 FT and the ball.  Turned out to be a possible six point swing.

What is the new flop rule? Does it apply to trying to take a charge?

10 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

What is the new flop rule? Does it apply to trying to take a charge?

The NCAA established a new rule this offseason that penalizes players for trying to fool referees.

The rule is 4-10.1.C.4 and it is used to identify faking a play, likely on a block, charge, 3-point shot or any other tactic to fool the official.

If an official decides there is a flop, he or she will give a warning to the team who committed the act. If it happens again, the player will be hit with a Class B technical foul. 

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Belmont's shooting guard Adam Kunkel has been playing out of his mind this season.  He only averaged 2 ppg last year.  This year he's had games of 13, 28 and he's torching Boston College for 24 points and counting.  

Big win for Belmont 

16 hours ago, courtside said:

Belmont is a good program. They will not miss a beat with their new coach, Casey Alexander, a former player and long time Rick Byrd assistant. He did a great job as head coach at Lipscomb. He will do great at Belmont. 

I do find it funny hes already coaches at 3 different ASun schools

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The A-10 is 34-14 as of this morning. Third best winning percentage of all mid-major conferences, just behind the AAC and the WCC.

tomorrow are some sneaky games.  Nicholls stats @ RI and Nevada @ davidson

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I do find it funny hes already coaches at 3 different ASun schools

Playing and assistant coaching at Belmont during a couple of decades, he was a known commodity in the league to get hired as head coach at Stetson. When Lipscomb opened, it was a chance to move back to Nashville where he spent so much time. (He is a Tennessee native as well). Then after 6 years there, he was considered the top choice to replace Rick Byrd at Belmont when Byrd retired. So he moved back across town (Belmont now in the Ohio Valley) which makes sense since he played there and coached there so long. 

Some thought Brian Ayers, long time Belmont assistant 21 years, and Lipscomb grad, would slide over to be their head coach but he stayed at Belmont with Alexander. James Strong, who played at Vandy, and had been on the Belmont staff for 8 years, returned to Vandy to be on Jerry Stackhouse’s staff.  Lots of Nashville shuffling around. There are some good athletic programs there. (All three of Vandy, Lipscomb, and Belmont made the women’s soccer D-1 NCAA’s this year.)

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think taking a run at Loyola would have been the move. Get into the Chicago market, an area we recruit consistently.

Belmont would be solid but I agree Loyola is ideal.  Double switch, we take Loyola and MVC takes Belmont. 

AGB91 and MusicCityBilliken like this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Belmont would be solid but I agree Loyola is ideal.  Double switch, we take Loyola and MVC takes Belmont. 

Anything to move the center of this conference this direction.

For me, the first move the conference would make to get better is clean out the bottom of the league. See you later LaSalle and Fordham. Perennially Patriot League level teams. Philly is already good with St. Joe's and Fordham just doesn't move the needle in NY anyway