Other games

brianstl

2 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I believe recruiting guru, Brick Oettinger, invented the term mid-major. He was writing for what's now known as the ACC Sports Journal, then called the PooP Sheet, and covered recruiting extensively in the 70s and 80s. As a way to distinguish among the quality of recruits he invented the term "mid-major" to describe players he viewed as a two rungs below the "blue-chippers" and the "difference-makers" at the highest level.

After a few years of using this designation, Dickie V and the hoop talkers of the day, began describing programs in terms of whether they were high major or mid-major. I knew Brick from my days living in Chapel Hill, and while he was a pioneer in the analysis of high school talent, I never liked how his term began to describe programs.

Some quick examples of teams who were viewed as terrific with no thought of being called "mid-major" were the '63 Loyola-Chicago Ramblers, the late '60s Dayton teams, the Bob Lanier led St. Bonnie teams, and the excellent teams from Charlotte in the 70s to name a few. No one thought of them as mid-majors and I liked it better that way.

Bird's ISU

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Jordan Barnes put up 27 points in a win over Northern Iowa last night. 10-18 from the field, 5-12 from 3 (He makes his layups), 9 rebounds, and no turnovers. Wasn't tall enough for Jim Crews though. 

The highlight package looks pretty impressive, too. Just think of how useful he'd have been this season.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The highlight package looks pretty impressive, too. Just think of how useful he'd have been this season.

This made me more depressed because I was thinking he was a junior. The Tatum recruitment seems that far away. 

I'm sure this team couldn't have used a 48% 3 point shooter that is averaging 17 points per game....

plus the story goes, we give barnes a scholarship tatum is a billiken.   sigh.  lose lose  however crewsplatt was smart enough to sign brett jolly

2 minutes ago, teamarete said:

So Barnes and Tatum were tight enough to pull Tatum to SLU?

Tatum's dad suggested this several times.  According to Justin, Crews told him that he felt good about the SLU's PG situation and he wasn't interested in Barnes.

6 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Mizzou best Georgia, next w stands at 12-4, 2-1. Jontay Porter got his first start and had a double double, and is beginning to show up on mock drafts. There is a decent chance that Tilmon is theonly of the 5 freshman to return next year. 

I would say that is highly likely even if Jontay doesn't declare.  The Porters and Martin have supposedly had a falling out. Supposedly this is why Harris left.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would say that is highly likely even if Jontay doesn't declare.  The Porters and Martin have supposedly had a falling out. Supposedly this is why Harris left.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yea the Michael Porter thing has been odd.  Luckily I get to watch from the outside as not a fan but the whole not talking to any reporters for awhile and then goes on ESPN during the bragging rights game and talks there for his first interview.  He keeps sending out cryptic instagrams it seems that he may be back early almost like he wants to make sure the attention stays on him instead of the basketball team.  

Even Gabe DeArmond the other day on TMA when asked about the relationship said there isn't much of one because he's injured.  I would still think the coach would have a solid relationship with an injured player, especially one whose brother is on the team playing and dad is an assistant coach.  Pretty crazy that such a solid recruiting class has already had 2 transfers at semester.  

4 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea the Michael Porter thing has been odd.  Luckily I get to watch from the outside as not a fan but the whole not talking to any reporters for awhile and then goes on ESPN during the bragging rights game and talks there for his first interview.  He keeps sending out cryptic instagrams it seems that he may be back early almost like he wants to make sure the attention stays on him instead of the basketball team.  

Even Gabe DeArmond the other day on TMA when asked about the relationship said there isn't much of one because he's injured.  I would still think the coach would have a solid relationship with an injured player, especially one whose brother is on the team playing and dad is an assistant coach.  Pretty crazy that such a solid recruiting class has already had 2 transfers at semester.  

Remember, Porter did not talk to Martin when he was injured and did not consult with him about the surgery.  I would think that the father would not want to lose the big money he is making but I guess a settlement could be reached.

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Very interesting indeed. With all the other Porter boys in the pipeline that would be a big loss to the long term future of the program.

if Jontay does leave and with the graduation of Robertson and Barnett, there won’t be much talent left on the team. They don’t exactly have a great class coming in either. Time for Martin to find some players to decommit I guess...

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Very interesting indeed. With all the other Porter boys in the pipeline that would be a big loss to the long term future of the program.

if Jontay does leave and with the graduation of Robertson and Barnett, there won’t be much talent left on the team. They don’t exactly have a great class coming in either. Time for Martin to find some players to decommit I guess...

Might be his shortest run at a school yet. One shining round of 32 moment! 

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

The other guy I can't believe we didn't offer is Mike Lewis II.  Guy is one of the best players in the A-10 and would be a huge boost on this team.

The awfulness of Crews' recruiting really knows no bounds. An inability to out-recruit teams for decent players coupled with a horrible eye for talent is a deadly combination. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Martin is probably pissed because he feels like he got sold damaged good.

When he told ESPN he had been hurt for years I bet Coach wasn't very happy.

All that money for Dad and the entire family new he was injured.  I don't know for sure but I'm guessing Porter was never planning on playing this year. He was just going to get the surgery on Mizzous dime and get Dad a job.

Porter probably figured this out and isn't very happy.

Just my conspiracy theory.

23 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The awfulness of Crews' recruiting really knows no bounds. An inability to out-recruit teams for decent players coupled with a horrible eye for talent is a deadly combination. 

Every time I watch a Butler or Xavier game and see Kelan Martin and JP Macura as some of the best players in the Big East, I remember that we had both on campus and were in both player's final 3-4 schools. It's crazy that our backup plan to guys like Martin, Macura, and Tatum were guys like Jolly, Bartley, and Moore. 

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Every time I watch a Butler or Xavier game and see Kelan Martin and JP Macura as some of the best players in the Big East, I remember that we had both on campus and were in both player's final 3-4 schools. It's crazy that our backup plan to guys like Martin, Macura, and Tatum were guys like Jolly, Bartley, and Moore. 

were martin and macura the main targets or were they the back up plans to jolly, bartley and moore?    remember we are talking about crewsplatt.   

32 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Worst part is that they were following Tatum for a long time and went to a ton of his games.  Therefore, they would have seen both Lewis (on Chaminade) and Barnes (on the Eagles) multiple times.  No excuses for missing on those two guys.