Active Ex-Billiken Transfer List

Compton

1 hour ago, willie said:

He certainly knew how to get fouled. 

If I recall correctly Miles had ample practice in getting fouled while he played for us. I remember seeing him getting patched for small cuts that were bleeding during a game. You can say anything you want about Miles but he really had a lot of enthusiasm and gave his best during play, oftentimes getting banged up in the process.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Milik got benched for a good chunk of Illinois State's loss to lowly Charleston Southern. That was coming off being suspended for their D2 regular season game vs. Quincy. 

Judging by last season this ends their hopes of dancing unless they take Arch Madness

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, been a long time follower but first time poster. Not sure if this has been posted yet but found this article on Milik as a prospect. Seems like it fits well with what we saw at SLU, tons of potential, just couldn't get it together consistently.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21825964/2018-nba-draft-sleepers-best-underrated-wing-prospects

Milik Yarbrough | Illinois State | Junior

Player type: The deep sleeper

Physical profile: 6-foot-6, 210 pounds, 7-foot-2 wingspan

The 6-foot-6 Zion, Illinois, native originally committed to St. Louis, choosing the Billikens over Iowa State, Michigan, Illinois, Kansas State and other high major schools. Yarbrough showed a lot of promise as a freshman, starting 22 games and earning Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team honors. He regularly clashed with head coach Jim Crews, though, and eventually opted to transfer to Illinois State.

"I just didn't fit the style of play, and it just wasn't working for me. Me and the coach butted heads a lot," Yarbrough said. "We weren't on the same page, and I blame that on myself. Here it's almost the same way, but I listen, I learn, and I've matured so much. I understand what they're trying to tell me now. That's why I developed so much and became the player I am."

Yarbrough's father, Del, played at Illinois State for four years, scoring more than 1,000 points, and was eventually selected in the ninth round of the 1980 NBA draft by the Milwaukee Bucks. While Milik was in the midst of his transfer season last year, Del passed away in his sleep. Yarbrough admitted that he wanted to quit basketball after the loss, but the support of his team and family has been a driving force in his emergence as a prospect. Now wearing his father's old number, 52, Yarbrough is the only player in the NCAA to average at least 25 points, seven assists and seven rebounds per 40 minutes, and he's doing so with a 62.3 true shooting percentage and impressive size.

Impressed with the versatility of Illinois State's Milik Yarbrough. 6-6, 230 and can really handle and pass. Tough. Jumper improving. pic.twitter.com/n3PRECrp5f

- Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) November 19, 2017

Strengths

• Comfortable with the ball in his hands. Can operate as a primary facilitator. Changes speeds and directions. Uses both sides of the floor as a passer. Plays an unselfish brand.

• Physical driver. Lives at the free throw line (10.8 free throw attempts per 40). Doesn't shy away from contact.

• Good instincts on the glass. Attacks the boards aggressively when locked in.

• Greatly improved shooter. Flat-footed but 38.5 percent from 3 and 80 percent from the free throw line.

• Has the frame and length to be a versatile defender when engaged

Improvement areas

• Needs to be more consistent in his approach. Still maturing from a mentality standpoint. Suspended for one game this season. In and out of the rotation earlier in the season.

• More long and fluid than explosive. Below-the-rim finisher. Won't be able to rely on drawing fouls nearly as much against better competition. Can he get by athletes? How does he score efficiently in the half court at the NBA level?

• Still has to prove himself as a shooter. Inconsistent mechanics. Not all that squared to the basket. Not a threat to pull up off the dribble.

• Turnover-prone. Can be a bit wild with the ball (5.9 turnovers per 40 minutes). Won't have as much freedom at the next level.

• Defensive effort and intensity can improve.

Outlook

The 22-year-old Yarbrough is trending up coming off back-to-back big games against Murray State (30 points on 19 shots) and Ole Miss (25 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists in 27 minutes). His physical profile and versatility will continue to catch the eye of NBA scouts as the season progresses. With only mid-major programs remaining on Illinois State's schedule, Yarbrough has a great opportunity to surge through the rest of his junior season and cement himself as a legitimate NBA prospect.

Consistency is Yarbrough's swing skill, and teams will want to do their homework on why he has had a tendency to clash with coaches or find himself in and out of the lineup. But from a tools, talent and versatility standpoint, the 22-year-old Yarbrough is a legitimate NBA prospect worth following.

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates:

- Yarbrough is averaging 18 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 4.5 apg, 3.5 turnovers per game for ISU. He's averaging 22.7 ppg in conference play. ISU is 9-7 

- Reynolds is is averaging 11.8 ppg and 2.5 apg for a 7-10 Pacific team

- Bartley is averaging 6.8 ppg, and 3.8 apg while shooting 39% from 3 for a 10-7 SUI team

- Crews' prized recruit, Brett Jolly is average 4.8 ppg and 4.8 rpg for D2 Arkansas Fort Smith

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Some updates:

- Yarbrough is averaging 18 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 4.5 apg, 3.5 turnovers per game for ISU. He's averaging 22.7 ppg in conference play. ISU is 9-7 

- Bartley is averaging 6.8 ppg, and 3.8 apg while shooting 39% from 3 for a 10-7 SUI team

- Crews' prized recruit, Brett Jolly is average 4.8 ppg and 4.8 rpg for D2 Arkansas Fort Smith

thanks for update

9 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Sounds like he's got about 4.8 toes per foot out of the wash basin.  I'd like to see him get up over 5, but I just can't see him sustaining this level of mediocrity through the conference season at any level, really.

NH likes this

On 12/22/2017 at 7:06 PM, Sweet Lou said:

Hi all, been a long time follower but first time poster. Not sure if this has been posted yet but found this article on Milik as a prospect. Seems like it fits well with what we saw at SLU, tons of potential, just couldn't get it together consistently.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21825964/2018-nba-draft-sleepers-best-underrated-wing-prospects

Milik Yarbrough | Illinois State | Junior

Player type: The deep sleeper

Physical profile: 6-foot-6, 210 pounds, 7-foot-2 wingspan

The 6-foot-6 Zion, Illinois, native originally committed to St. Louis, choosing the Billikens over Iowa State, Michigan, Illinois, Kansas State and other high major schools. Yarbrough showed a lot of promise as a freshman, starting 22 games and earning Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team honors. He regularly clashed with head coach Jim Crews, though, and eventually opted to transfer to Illinois State.

"I just didn't fit the style of play, and it just wasn't working for me. Me and the coach butted heads a lot," Yarbrough said. "We weren't on the same page, and I blame that on myself. Here it's almost the same way, but I listen, I learn, and I've matured so much. I understand what they're trying to tell me now. That's why I developed so much and became the player I am."

Yarbrough's father, Del, played at Illinois State for four years, scoring more than 1,000 points, and was eventually selected in the ninth round of the 1980 NBA draft by the Milwaukee Bucks. While Milik was in the midst of his transfer season last year, Del passed away in his sleep. Yarbrough admitted that he wanted to quit basketball after the loss, but the support of his team and family has been a driving force in his emergence as a prospect. Now wearing his father's old number, 52, Yarbrough is the only player in the NCAA to average at least 25 points, seven assists and seven rebounds per 40 minutes, and he's doing so with a 62.3 true shooting percentage and impressive size.

Impressed with the versatility of Illinois State's Milik Yarbrough. 6-6, 230 and can really handle and pass. Tough. Jumper improving. pic.twitter.com/n3PRECrp5f

- Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) November 19, 2017

Strengths

• Comfortable with the ball in his hands. Can operate as a primary facilitator. Changes speeds and directions. Uses both sides of the floor as a passer. Plays an unselfish brand.

• Physical driver. Lives at the free throw line (10.8 free throw attempts per 40). Doesn't shy away from contact.

• Good instincts on the glass. Attacks the boards aggressively when locked in.

• Greatly improved shooter. Flat-footed but 38.5 percent from 3 and 80 percent from the free throw line.

• Has the frame and length to be a versatile defender when engaged

Improvement areas

• Needs to be more consistent in his approach. Still maturing from a mentality standpoint. Suspended for one game this season. In and out of the rotation earlier in the season.

• More long and fluid than explosive. Below-the-rim finisher. Won't be able to rely on drawing fouls nearly as much against better competition. Can he get by athletes? How does he score efficiently in the half court at the NBA level?

• Still has to prove himself as a shooter. Inconsistent mechanics. Not all that squared to the basket. Not a threat to pull up off the dribble.

• Turnover-prone. Can be a bit wild with the ball (5.9 turnovers per 40 minutes). Won't have as much freedom at the next level.

• Defensive effort and intensity can improve.

Outlook

The 22-year-old Yarbrough is trending up coming off back-to-back big games against Murray State (30 points on 19 shots) and Ole Miss (25 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists in 27 minutes). His physical profile and versatility will continue to catch the eye of NBA scouts as the season progresses. With only mid-major programs remaining on Illinois State's schedule, Yarbrough has a great opportunity to surge through the rest of his junior season and cement himself as a legitimate NBA prospect.

Consistency is Yarbrough's swing skill, and teams will want to do their homework on why he has had a tendency to clash with coaches or find himself in and out of the lineup. But from a tools, talent and versatility standpoint, the 22-year-old Yarbrough is a legitimate NBA prospect worth following.

Another Yarbrough NBA prospect article. "NBA teams have been intrigued by his all-around game."

http://amp.si.com/nba/2018/01/08/nba-draft-m id-major-prospects-watch-alize-johnson-mike-daum?__twitter_impression=true

On 1/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, slufan13 said:

Some updates:

• 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I heard that former target Biedscheid was arrested yesterday on felony drug charges and resisting arrest.

nope. dont believe that for one second. great kid, bright future. 

Bartley started for SIU in their 76 to 68 loss against Milik and ISU.  TYarbrough stared as well.  Line:

Bartley             21 mpg .... 2/6  FG ....2/6 3FG ....2/2 FT ..... 1 reb .... 2 ast ... 3 steals ... 2 TOs ... 4 fouls ...  8 points

Yarbrough       34 mpg .....3/10 FG ....1/3 3FG...4/6 FT ...... 9 reb .....5 ast .... 1 steal .... 9 TOs .... 3 fouls ... 11 points

Itr's only a box score but looksliek Bartley still shoots from deep, still shoots good free throws, but stil lfousl like a banshee.  Yarbrough is still jacking them up and I was impressed with the nine rebounds but then gagged at the nine turnovers.  That's a lot.  SIU is 16 and 10, Ill Statte is 14 and 11.  Both are 8 and 5 in the Valley.

Out at Pacific, Reynolds started, played 31 minutes, shot 5 for 13 with 1 of 2 from three..  Made both free throws, grabbed 3 rebounds, Had one each in assists and steals and 2 TOs with 3 fouls.   Second leading scorer at 13 behind one with 15.  Pacific is 12 and 14 this year with 7 and 6 in conference. 

I'd say average players on average teams.

Rather than focus on one game's box score, I'd prefer to look at a full season of results. Malik has been impressive, there is no doubt. I'd put up with 4 turnovers per game to get 16, 6 and 5. As much as we all love Goodwin, he's only putting up 11, 7 and 4. People shouldn't downplay Malik.

Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
Milik Yarbrough 24 26.8 16.4 6.3 4.7 1.0 0.7 3.8 .457 .786 .313

Given the severe roster depletion and depth issue caused by Situation 2.0 and its sequellae, and because the 3 are D1 Basketball Players, SLU could use all 3 of them.

i saw Miles Reynolds play in person for Pacific (UOP) in its 69-67 Loss at USF.  Reynolds scored 19 points in that one, going 13-17 at the FT line, including missing the last FT on purpose. Reynolds has been on a recent hot streak. He still has an outside shooting issue, but is good at driving to the hoop, getting fouled and is an excellent free throw shooter. He is starting for a UOP team that has improved as the season has progressed under Coach Damon Stoudamire to the point UOP lost 72-69 to 11th ranked nationally St. Mary’s, and lost 71-61 last night to 12th ranked Gonzaga.

14 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Milik was pretty darn talented.  Crews just had no clue on how to rein him in. 

I dont think any coach has a chance to rein him in. He’s got “what could have been” written all over him.