Active Ex-Billiken Transfer List

Compton

In case anyone's interested in following what those lost along the way are up to this year, here's a quick refresher on who's where: 

• Marcus Bartley - SIU-C (MVC)
  • Brett Jolly - U. of Arkansas - Fort Smith (Heartland - DII)
  • Miles Reynolds - U. of the Pacific (West Coast)
  • Milik Yarbrough - Illinois State (MVC)

'17-'18 Red Shirts:

• Zeke Moore - Tulsa (American)
  • Matt Neufeld - UC Davis (Big West)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Malik had 25 & 8 on 8 of 10 shooting in ISU's exhibition win over Lewis.

Malik, besides being a head case, was just not very savvy as a player during his time at SLU (to say the least).  Flashes of greatness, but often he was like one of those out of shape but very athletic guys you get into a pick up game with, who always wants the ball and always wants to shoot it.  Really and truly, like an amateur Charles Barkley, who needed to lose about 40 pounds.  (Like Barkley, Malik was extremely quick off the floor, even though hefty)   I did think he had much potential, maybe the most of that group;  but in some ways the least discipline, the least court IQ, and the biggest head case among a large group of head cases.  I will say that among the pleasures of working with adolescents, is when one of them with good potential literally grows up before your eyes, over a period of 3-4 years.  Good for him, if this continues!!

JMM28 likes this

13 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Malik, besides being a head case, was just not very savvy as a player during his time at SLU (to say the least).  Flashes of greatness, but often he was like one of those out of shape but very athletic guys you get into a pick up game with, who always wants the ball and always wants to shoot it.  Really and truly, like an amateur Charles Barkley, who needed to lose about 40 pounds.  (Like Barkley, Malik was extremely quick off the floor, even though hefty)   I did think he had much potential, maybe the most of that group;  but in some ways the least discipline, the least court IQ, and the biggest head case among a large group of head cases.  I will say that among the pleasures of working with adolescents, is when one of them with good potential literally grows up before your eyes, over a period of 3-4 years.  Good for him, if this continues!!

Maybe the coaching staff did not know how to use him or coach him.  He was a big scorer in high school

Crews' major downfall in recruiting was he brought in the wrong guys for what he wanted to do.  He wanted to run an offense based on passing, quick cuts and perimeter shooting like his best Evansville teams.  Yet he would bring in ball dominant guys who couldn't shoot or shooters who wouldn't move the ball.  He waited too long to bring in guys like Welmer and Bishop.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Crews' major downfall in recruiting was he brought in the wrong guys for what he wanted to do.  He wanted to run an offense based on passing, quick cuts and perimeter shooting like his best Evansville teams.  Yet he would bring in ball dominant guys who couldn't shoot or shooters who wouldn't move the ball.  He waited too long to bring in guys like Welmer and Bishop.

After watching those 2 seasons I'd be hard pressed to say what Crews wanted to do besides retire.

Yarbrough was an undisciplined child.  As long as he had the ball and could start and finish (see his many one-on-four rushes) he was happy.  I though the had promise and maybe he will fulfill that promise at ISU.  Good luck to him.  But I for one won't miss him when he throws down 30 (as I believe he is apt to do).  It will all depend on how much rope Muller is willing to give him at ISU.  As long as Milik is the show, it'll be fine. 

Where I began to wish his departure was late that final season at St. Joe's.  Sitting just above the bench, I got to watch him and Jolley yukking it up with each other in a 14 point loss as they closed out the season on a 1 and 5 run.  Yarbrough got 11 minutes that night and four fouls.  Jolley never got his ass off the bench.  Yet they were all fun and games on that bench while their teammates struggled.  That ended it for me on Yarbrough: Jolley was persona non grata his first game.  Always wondered what [dead's] game plan really was. 

I don't think there is any question with what Ford is doing.  {dead's] recruits might have played well to a low-level, low conference team in the Valley.  And yes, maybe too at Army-West Point.  Not here.

billiken_roy likes this

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Yarbrough was an undisciplined child.  As long as he had the ball and could start and finish (see his many one-on-four rushes) he was happy.  I though the had promise and maybe he will fulfill that promise at ISU.  Good luck to him.  But I for one won't miss him when he throws down 30 (as I believe he is apt to do).  It will all depend on how much rope Muller is willing to give him at ISU.  As long as Milik is the show, it'll be fine. 

Where I began to wish his departure was late that final season at St. Joe's.  Sitting just above the bench, I got to watch him and Jolley yukking it up with each other in a 14 point loss as they closed out the season on a 1 and 5 run.  Yarbrough got 11 minutes that night and four fouls.  Jolley never got his ass off the bench.  Yet they were all fun and games on that bench while their teammates struggled.  That ended it for me on Yarbrough: Jolley was persona non grata his first game.  Always wondered what [dead's] game plan really was. 

I don't think there is any question with what Ford is doing.  {dead's] recruits might have played well to a low-level, low conference team in the Valley.  And yes, maybe too at Army-West Point.  Not here.

totally agree.   it still is hard to believe that crewsie wasted those excellent rickma teams and didnt capitalize recruiting wise.   there is no excuse for it.   the last 3 seasons should have never ever happened considering what preceded those three seasons.

and seeing the likes of selfish out of shape yarborough and jolly on the floor, i cant even fathom the game plan of piecing together crewsplatt's future roster.   incredible.  

brianstl likes this

Malik needed a different coach than Crews if he was going to reach his potential.  I would have liked to have seen what he would have done under Ford, but it was probably best for all that he didn't come back.  I guess we will see if Mueller can get through to him.  If Muller is successful, Malik will put up really nice numbers and IL St. will have a pretty good season.  If he doesn't, I think Milik has the potential to be a cancer on that team.

Muller has gotten Malik in shape and that is more than half the battle.  

Reynolds played 24 minutes for Pacific in the exhibition match last night.  Led team with 16 points, had 4 boards, 1 assist, 0 TOs, 6-7 FTs.   Damon Stoudamire is his coach.  I genuinely liked Reynolds.  Why would Crews recruit a shooting guard who had to have the ball but also couldn't shoot?  In the right system, Reynolds just gets to the rim and makes Fts.   Hopefully he has a coach who knows what he can do and goes to his strengths.

Jolly had an exhibition game against Middle Tenn.  17 minutes 4 points 4 fouls 2 TOs.  The worst scholarship Billiken in my lifetime.

DeSmetBilliken, I think Crews and Platts did both things, could not identify talent, and whatever talent their recruits had they could not get it to work either. I am very glad to hear that Yarborough and Reynolds are both doing well with their new teams. All the best to them.

53 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Reynolds played 24 minutes for Pacific in the exhibition match last night.  Led team with 16 points, had 4 boards, 1 assist, 0 TOs, 6-7 FTs.   Damon Stoudamire is his coach.  I genuinely liked Reynolds.  Why would Crews recruit a shooting guard who had to have the ball but also couldn't shoot?  In the right system, Reynolds just gets to the rim and makes Fts.   Hopefully he has a coach who knows what he can do and goes to his strengths.

Jolly had an exhibition game against Middle Tenn.  17 minutes 4 points 4 fouls 2 TOs.  The worst scholarship Billiken in my lifetime.

I liked Reynolds too. He was a "gamer."

I liked Stoudamire too. He was also a "gamer."

Might have to check out some of those nationally televised Pacific games. 

Not really a coincidence as much as an oddity of SLU/MIZZOU basketball cast-offs crossing paths; on 11/18 Brett Jolly and the UA-Fort Smith Lions will play Kim Anderson's Pittsburgh State (Kansas) Guerrilla's.

Also, Matt Neufeld and Miles Reynolds face each other on 11/15 in Stockton. 

More expectedly, Milik Yarbrough and Marcus Bartley square off on 1/13 in Carbondale and 2/8 in Normal. 

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

Obi?