RIP bonwich

Quickdraw

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Looking at Joe Bonwich's picture, I'm wondering if I may have at least met him at SLU's last NCAA Tournament appearance in Orlando.  Does anyone know if he was there?

There is a very nice write up for Joe at stltoday.com, the online version of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

I don't remember him being there. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely atrocious news. Horrible. Joe was still pretty damn young.

Brain aneurysms are terrifying. I had an uncle pass away a little over a year ago from one.

I just want to say to all of the billikens.com family, if you or anyone you know has a family history of these conditions, PLEASE see a doctor and get examined. Brain aneurysms are treatable by surgery if detected before they burst. An aneurysm can kill you in a split second. Don't ever brush it off as something that can't happen. A simple MRI could save you or someone you know or love's life.

We'll all be missing Bonwich a hell of a lot. I'm so sorry for the pain his family is going through.

9 minutes ago, Soderball said:

ust want to say to all of the billikens.com family, if you or anyone you know has a family history of these conditions, PLEASE see a doctor and get examined. Brain aneurysms are treatable by surgery if detected before they burst. An aneurysm can kill you in a split second. Don't ever brush it off as something that can't happen. A simple MRI could save you or someone you know or love's life.

Best post on the subject. These things are the nonviolent equivalent of being shot in the head by a sniper. Maybe you survive, but you’re going to be fuoked up the rest of your life. 

Here is the information about the memorial service for Joe from the Press Club.

11 a.m.Friday, Nov. 24, Christ the King Catholic Church, 7316 Balson Ave, University City, 63130. The family has invited all who would like to celebrate Joe’s life.

For those of you who wish to donate to the Press Club's Joe Bonwich scholarship fund, you can do so at stlpressclub.org/JoeBonwichDonation.html, or by emailing [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

More info from the Press Club - celebration at a restaurant after the service:

Dear Press Club members and friends,
Jennie Bonwich has sent me the following to share with you:

Dear Friends and Family,
A celebration to honor the life of longtime food writer Joe Bonwich will be held this Friday, November 24, at Grbic Restaurant (4071 Keokuk) from 12:30-3:30 p.m. It will follow a public service at 11 a.m. at Christ the King Catholic Church (7316 Balson) in University City.
Bonwich had the longest tenure of any local restaurant writer or critic, and his contributions to the food scene are immeasurable. All of St. Louis foodies, citizens, scribes owe a debt of gratitude to the man who worked diligently and often in anonymity.
The Bonwich family welcomes all who wish to honor his memory.
Anyone wishing to contribute in his name may do so to The St. Louis Press Club Joe Bonwich Scholarship

Click Here for a map.