RIP bonwich

Quickdraw

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad. Great poster and member of this little community. I never met the man but we had some correspondence from time to time when, for personal reasons, he'd want me to send him a Hong Kong magazine. He was always so grateful, and offered many times to take me out to one of his favourite restaurants when I visited St Louis. I should have taken him up on the offer.

Wow, just wow.  So incredibly sad.  My heart sunk when I read this.  What a huge loss for so many.  Joe helped me out a few times when I had friends or business acquaintances in town and needed a good dinner spot for them.  Knowing I was born and raised here, he would never throw out the names of some of the "go-to" places, but he would ask me questions about the visiting parties to make it a better overall experience for them.  He always followed up after as well to see how they enjoyed the places they ate.  Such a great guy who loved his family deeply.  Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.  This board now has a huge gap in it.  

It is an amazing commentary on the new digital society that we live in that I am so bummed about the passing of someone I never actually met.  It is crazy how the world we now live in allows you to get to know someone without actually ever laying eyes on them.  He will be missed.  I'll be praying for his family.

HenryB likes this

Wow....very sad. I never met Joe or needed his help like so many of you, but I've been reading his posts since I came to the board almost 20 years ago now. He struck me as one of the classiest guys this place had. Always stayed above the bickering and came here will level headed, genuine responses....often times with a hint of incredibly witty humor. Even though I barely post or make it to STL, I will miss Bonwichs' presence here greatly. My prayers go out to his family in this difficult time.

Joe & I were PM buddies for years - he once gave me  funny dirt on one my older relatives for which I had to bite my tongue when said relative gave me something & I knew the source.  Great sense of humor.  Sad for all of us.  Even noticed that BR used caps & punctuation this once in his tribute.

24 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Joe & I were PM buddies for years - he once gave me  funny dirt on one my older relatives for which I had to bite my tongue when said relative gave me something & I knew the source.  Great sense of humor.  Sad for all of us.  Even noticed that BR used caps & punctuation this once in his tribute.

Joe always gave me trouble about it so thought i'd make an exception in this instance.   had to read over it a few times.  probably still missed something. 

Like many on here, I've been trying to process this all day.  I wrote on his FB page, along with lots of other stunned folks.  the nice thing there is, all the photos.  Yes, Joe dearly loved the family -- that wedding in Bloomington was Oct. 8 weekend, just 4 weeks ago.  I guess there is some consolation in having the family all together for that event.  I appreciated all those stories, too -- especially the one about the Avis Meyer family, of which Joe was one of many brothers in arms.  What a loss...We were planning to get together pretty soon now for another OBC luncheon.

Take a look at the page:  and here's hoping to see you again on the other side, Joe.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.bonwich

7 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

It is an amazing commentary on the new digital society that we live in that I am so bummed about the passing of someone I never actually met.  It is crazy how the world we now live in allows you to get to know someone without actually ever laying eyes on them.  He will be missed.  I'll be praying for his family.

What he said...

at least with someone so popular we are able to find out on here. If I go it will just appear that I've stopped posting :)

https://www.stlmag.com/dining/remembering-joe-bonwich/

" As smart as he was—skipping three grades, graduating from St. Louis University High School at 16, attending Saint Louis University, and enrolling in a master’s program in econometrics at the University of Wisconsin at age 20—he never celebrated the fact. He was quiet, sarcastic, funny, and, when asked by this editor to clarify an apparent miscue, Bonwich was usually right."

Very well done by George Mahe.