Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

likely two big reasons for his fall (my opinion) 1. his suspect attitude / temper (inseason suspension) and 2. he signed with the billikens.  (how good could he be if he signed with the billikens right?)

And his true height, more like 6'7", not 6'9" from pics and video I have seen.  Kind of small for an in the paint player.  But glad to have him .....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

And his true height, more like 6'7", not 6'9" from pics and video I have seen.  Kind of small for an in the paint player.  But glad to have him .....

I dont know - I think he's considerably taller than I am (6-5) after being floor level at one of his games

8 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I wonder if he signed with Kansas what his rank would be. The true blue bloods probably pay high to keep their incoming players at top hype 

You think Kansas pays money to ESPN to keep their players ranked high?

9 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

You think Kansas pays money to ESPN to keep their players ranked high?

No, they don’t need to. If ESPN sees a guy is signed with Kansas, they assume he’s a good basketball player. The same way if one of our recruits were to get an offer from Kansas, we’d assume they’re pretty good. While it can be annoying in that it doesn’t help SLU recruits, it’s probably a pretty effective method overall.

7 minutes ago, NH said:

No, they don’t need to. If ESPN sees a guy is signed with Kansas, they assume he’s a good basketball player. The same way if one of our recruits were to get an offer from Kansas, we’d assume they’re pretty good. While it can be annoying in that it doesn’t help SLU recruits, it’s probably a pretty effective method overall.

This is obvious to me. I was wondering if GloryRavs actually thinks that goes on

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

-I think worthy of posting the text, here's to Mickey Being a Fantastic Billiken.....

MICKEY PEARSON

JOHN HARDIN, SENIOR, 6-7

* Why he’s on the team: Averaged 25.5 points and 11.0 rebounds (fifth in the state) while leading the Bulldogs to a 28-8 record and a trip to the Sweet 16. Shot 55.1 percent from the field, 38.4 percent from 3-point range (73 of 190) and 74.8 percent from the free-throw line. Named Fifth Region Player of the Year by the Kentucky Association of Basketball Coaches.

* Future: Saint Louis University signee.

* Quotable: “There aren’t many guys in the state with his size and athleticism and length that can do all he can do,” Bulldogs coach Jared McCurry said. “He’s so skilled, can handle the ball, guard any position on the court and play any position on the court at the high school level. He’s a go-getter on the boards. He can go above the rim and get the ball.”

Write-up from Stu in the post today, mainly about Thor but touches on the other recruits.  Ford has a lot of basketball contacts over in Iceland which is how he hears about players over there.  He says he thinks Ingvi is potentially the better shooter between him and his brother.  

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/iceland-is-a-hot-spot-for-slu-s-ford/article_3183b51d-a830-5e9d-b1c5-39ad3cd8a5d3.html

23 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Write-up from Stu in the post today, mainly about Thor but touches on the other recruits.  Ford has a lot of basketball contacts over in Iceland which is how he hears about players over there.  He says he thinks Ingvi is potentially the better shooter between him and his brother.  

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/iceland-is-a-hot-spot-for-slu-s-ford/article_3183b51d-a830-5e9d-b1c5-39ad3cd8a5d3.html

In my mind Ingvi might as well be a transfer player with eligibility right away. I really think he’s going to be an immediate impact player off the bench early and battle for a starting spot if we go 3 guards at times. I expect him to be a more immediate threat than Mick and Thatch 

39 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Interesting. He calls Jacobs a wing. 

Guessing this is the Icelandic center ford was after:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/the-nba-drafts-most-intriguing-prospect-is-a-farmer-from-iceland/ 

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

Nice article.

Ford has shown he isn't afraid to sing the praises of his recruits/players. There's no sandbagging on expectations.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Interesting. He calls Jacobs a wing. 

Guessing this is the Icelandic center ford was after:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/the-nba-drafts-most-intriguing-prospect-is-a-farmer-from-iceland/ 

That's him. I think there was a particularly bright, enterprising, young poster who identified him as Ford's target back in 2016:

We knew he was looking at a big man, and he was the only one who made sense (although I was clearly just using process of elimination and had no actual insight). Early Jon Axel Gudmunsson mention there, too.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

In my mind Ingvi might as well be a transfer player with eligibility right away. I really think he’s going to be an immediate impact player off the bench early and battle for a starting spot if we go 3 guards at times. I expect him to be a more immediate threat than Mick and Thatch 

I don't know about that.  I don't think he is as complete as a player as his brother was when he came over.  I think their will be a period of adjustment.  

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's him. I think there was a particularly bright, enterprising, young poster who identified him as Ford's target back in 2016:

We knew he was looking at a big man, and he was the only one who made sense (although I was clearly just using process of elimination and had no actual insight). Early Jon Axel Gudmunsson mention there, too.

The death metal highlight video is still a favorite.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't know - I really like what Thatch brings to the table defensively and rebounding. As much as TFord loves athletes and rebounders, I imagine Fred will get major PT this year because he's less raw than Jacobs offensively while providing more of a spark on the ball on D and being an elite rebounding guard

Regarding Mickey Pearson, any ideas why he is not ranked by Rivals? The guy seems to be a future star to me. A 6’8” wing who can handle the ball and shoot the three. A finalist for Mr Ky Basketball as well. I remember in an earlier interview that Ford had said he would be one of the best ball handlers on the team. Seems like he will be able to play 3 or 4 positions. Just can’t believe he is not at least a 3 star if not 4 star. 

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Regarding Mickey Pearson, any ideas why he is not ranked by Rivals? The guy seems to be a future star to me. A 6’8” wing who can handle the ball and shoot the three. A finalist for Mr Ky Basketball as well. I remember in an earlier interview that Ford had said he would be one of the best ball handlers on the team. Seems like he will be able to play 3 or 4 positions. Just can’t believe he is not at least a 3 star if not 4 star. 

just a couple of thoughts, a lot of times what we see in high school doesnt exactly translate to college.   for example, goodwin had 2-3 dunks per night in high school.  he had 3 this past season for the billikens.   the difference in competition and size and talent between high school and D1 college is a lot.    

second, how often is kentucky basketball actually viewed by the "experts" that make these ranks?  remember, if he signed at saint louis, he must not actually be that good.   

just a couple of thoughts, a lot of times what we see in high school doesnt exactly translate to college.   for example, goodwin had 2-3 dunks per night in high school.  he had 3 this past season for the billikens.   the difference in competition and size and talent between high school and D1 college is a lot.    

second, how often is kentucky basketball actually viewed by the "experts" that make these ranks?  remember, if he signed at saint louis, he must not actually be that good.   

With Pearson, I use the eyeball test. I get it when a 6’3” player is dominating in high school around the rim, to have some skepticism, but Pearson is 6’8” and seems to have multiple ways to score. Be nice if he was our next Harry Rogers.

Second, how often is kentucky basketball actually viewed by the "experts" that make these ranks?  remember, if he signed at saint louis, he must not actually be that good.   

In Pearson's case it is  not only Kentucky, it is the Appalachian mountain area of Kentucky. This is a region where the people in Rivals and other outfits cannot conceive anything good ever comes out of. Something similar could be said about Thatch. Sikeston?, no way. Rankings do not always reflect reality. There are a lot of expectations placed on kids signing up with the "right" programs and coming out of the "right" places, other kids that do not sign with the right schools or come from the right places may go entirely under the radar. I fully agree with Roy, I believe this was the case with Pearson.