Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Cant wait to see Goodwin and thatch in the lineup together. And man, add french and santos or gordon. this is a beefy lineup. 

I hope we run into a Big 10 team or two next year in an early season tourney. I wouldn't even mind going on the road to a place like Purdue or Wisconsin and not even request a return game (I'm normally against SLU doing that, but wouldn't mind it next year).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I live in between Hillsboro and Cedar Hill I will have to attend some games this season.

I traveled a lot last year and really wanted to go see Hillsboro and I will make it my mission this season.

I actually teach and coach at Hillsboro.  Definitely a fun team to watch play but compared to those other 3 teams they don't have the same athleticism.  With that said definitely worth watching a game or two if you can.   

On 11/8/2017 at 1:42 PM, Pistol said:

"The Statesmen play No. 2 Memphis East on national television December 14, play regionally-ranked Wheeler of Georgia at the Cancer Research Classic and then travel to the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions where five other FAB 50 teams await. This team will do the “Springfield Double” and opens the City of Palms Classic against No. 5 Hudson Catholic in one of the best holiday tournament opening-round matchups we’ve ever analyzed with regards to with how it relates to rankings position."

We may get murdered in this one. Bad bad matchups everywhere. 6'11 PF and a 6'9 C. yuck

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Hight is not as big of a factor as it may seem. A few inches doesn’t equal rebounding success. 

Example: Austin Gillman vs French 

A lot of people have been making this point and I don’t disagree with the principle but generally the best rebounders are also correlated with some of the tallest people. I agree that French is a better rebounder than Gillmann, but French would be an even better rebounder if he were 6’11”. 

My biggest observation is that in the Atlantic 10 you’re not going to run up against too many athletic 6’10” guys that can play. Really where it could be more of an issue is when you get into the NCAA tourney and start going against some of the traditional powers.

6 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Hight is not as big of a factor as it may seem. A few inches doesn’t equal rebounding success. 

Tape measure height doesn't really even matter for a big. It is standing reach that really matters. A guy that has a really long neck or big horse head might be 2 or 3 inches taller, but if his reach doesn't match, it doesn't matter. 

Obviously being 6-1 vs 7-1 is a difference, but listed at 6-11 vs 6-8 might not be any different at all. 

8 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Is this in reference to the webster game?

If it is, all we have if Gordon. They have #1 player in the country at 6'11 and top 80 C.  Other than Gordon, our next tallest we have is a fella 6'4.

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Tape measure height doesn't really even matter for a big. It is standing reach that really matters. A guy that has a really long neck or big horse head might be 2 or 3 inches taller, but if his reach doesn't match, it doesn't matter. 

Obviously being 6-1 vs 7-1 is a difference, but listed at 6-11 vs 6-8 might not be any different at all. 

Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace endorse this post.

Just now, JMM28 said:

There are also those kids that are such physical specimens that they overcome a few inches.  Charles Barkley is an example ... the round mound of rebounds, maybe 6'5".  Was an amazing college rebounder.

Been wanting to mention this about Pearson.  Was a "future 150" ranked at one point as the #2 prospect in KY in his class.  Now not in the top 10 in KY on 247 Sports.  And he has grown 3 inches since he was #2 in KY.  His agility, ball handling skill, and length intrigue me.  Potentially could be quite a steal.  Why the drop? The competition level? AAU team?  Or did he just not develop as projected? Or has he not physically caught up with his growth?  Will be interesting to watch his progress at SLU.

3 hours ago, Slubills23 said:

I actually teach and coach at Hillsboro.  Definitely a fun team to watch play but compared to those other 3 teams they don't have the same athleticism.  With that said definitely worth watching a game or two if you can.   

Thank you Slubills23 and Littlebill on your thoughts about going to a Hillsboro basketball game.

I only live about 10 minutes away from the high school so I will go online and get the basketball schedule and attend some games.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Been wanting to mention this about Pearson.  Was a "future 150" ranked at one point as the #2 prospect in KY in his class.  Now not in the top 10 in KY on 247 Sports.  And he has grown 3 inches since he was #2 in KY.  His agility, ball handling skill, and length intrigue me.  Potentially could be quite a steal.  Why the drop? The competition level? AAU team?  Or did he just not develop as projected? Or has he not physically caught up with his growth?  Will be interesting to watch his progress at SLU.

-interesting, sounds like there might be a lot of upside here, I sure hope so

2 hours ago, BillsBeliever said:

Don't know if this has been posted, but it was one of the more recent Gordan highlights. Eleven minutes of dunks and blocks. Biggest thing I found from the highlights is we found our man under the hoop!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8745838/58a17d75e97ab821801ef4f3

This is awesome.  Got me all pumped up for tonight and next season.

Kentucky bred, Travis Ford getting job done in the SouthEast corner of Missouri that even Majerus Magic could not reach is a wonder.

As long as his staff remember these kids have to compete in the classroom we will soar.

It certainly helps that Davell Roby comes from outside Memphis and has worked his  butt off to become a decent shooter and team leader as well.