Practice news

SLURadioBoy

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm most interested to see if a true rim protector rises out of our group of Bigs.  I'm looking for Reed #2, Big Chill reincarnated, or Ian the Greek levels.  Last year Welmer lead the team with 32 blocks or just under 1 per game.  Someone needs to be at 50 to 60.  Who will take control of the lane?

The team modern day record for blocked shots is Soderberg's 2006-2007 team with 142 blocks.  That record needs to go down this season.

[An interesting side note, that 06-07 was huge.  We had 6 players 6'8" or taller.  We had Husak at 7'0" and Vouyoukas at 6'10" plus Dixon, Ikeafor, Johnson and Knollmeyer all at 6'8".]

Even though this team is in many ways stronger and more athletic than years past, we are sort of lacking in the height department. I'm thinking we'll rely more on good rotations, stifled penetration, and quickness from every guy 1-5 to contest and prevent shots, rather than anyone racking up the blocks. That said, it wouldn't shock me if French got some weak-side homeruns a la Jett, who had that propensity to just spike the ball every now and again.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Zink said:

Even though this team is in many ways stronger and more athletic than years past, we are sort of lacking in the height department. I'm thinking we'll rely more on good rotations, stifled penetration, and quickness from every guy 1-5 to contest and prevent shots, rather than anyone racking up the blocks. That said, it wouldn't shock me if French got some weak-side homeruns a la Jett, who had that propensity to just spike the ball every now and again.

I wouldn't say we are lacking in the height department.  We may not have 7 footers, but I believe we are in the top third of all NCAA D1 teams in regards to height.

7 hours ago, kshoe said:

Bigger does not always equal better. More athletic does not always equal better. Skilled is the key.

As to the question ....Are we skilled ?  The answer is Yes.

As for all the former players mentioned in the last 2 pages of this thread....We are far beyond them with our current players.  Making comparisons is just not relevant.

Time to change your thinking....Time to think big...Time to think athletic...time to think quick...time to think  strong...time to think skilled...time to think intense...

Time to think of a new era....Time is ticking....11 days....tick... tick... tick

39 minutes ago, Zink said:

Zink, about your height concern, Charlie Spoonhour is no longer the SLU coach, RIP.

37 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Zink, about your height concern, Charlie Spoonhour is no longer the SLU coach, RIP.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I wouldn't say we are lacking in the height department.  We may not have 7 footers, but I believe we are in the top third of all NCAA D1 teams in regards to height.

54 minutes ago, willie said:

Tallest overall team I can remember. 

I hope I didn't express concern, just stating that unlike in years past, we don't have any guys over 6'10"... I agree that we have more size throughout the roster than we have typically had, just no one who stands out as a shot-blocking threat or "true center" or defensive anchor like Ian or Willie - but if we can think back to Neufeld, Gillmann, and Manning, being big doesn't actually mean anything in and of itself. I'd rather have this set of bigs than any we've had since I became clued-in to SLU.

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Fatletic

Melvin Robinson could get pretty fat in the off season.  When I was in a Billiken basketball camp as a grade schooler, I got to witness an overweight Melvin come through the gym with a half gallon of milk and some cookies.... He got YELLED at. 

He was an amazing athlete though. I miss watching him match up against Marquettes center with the cool hair. I miss those days. 

25 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Melvin Robinson could get pretty fat in the off season.  When I was in a Billiken basketball camp as a grade schooler, I got to witness an overweight Melvin come through the gym with a half gallon of milk and some cookies.... He got YELLED at. 

He was an amazing athlete though. I miss watching him match up against Marquettes center with the cool hair. I miss those days. 

Big Chill skywalked all over Luc Longley in the NIT

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

As to the question ....Are we skilled ?  The answer is Yes.

As for all the former players mentioned in the last 2 pages of this thread....We are far beyond them with our current players.  Making comparisons is just not relevant.

Time to change your thinking....Time to think big...Time to think athletic...time to think quick...time to think  strong...time to think skilled...time to think intense...

Time to think of a new era....Time is ticking....11 days....tick... tick... tick

Seriously when is the first time I can see this team in action? This is so much better than psyching myself up for Brett Jolly's break out year. 

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

Ah, the NIT away game at NM. The Pit. One of my favorite games. Recall that as a game we were in control of most of the time, though we were big underdogs.

mhg

Proud sponsor of Saint Louis ‘ HOME basketball team

As I remember I thought we were down big and came back strong to win, I could be wrong.

We were definitely underdogs and at that time no away team won at the pit.

What a game to remember a good time to be a Billikens fan.

46 minutes ago, CBFan said:

As I remember I thought we were down big and came back strong to win, I could be wrong.

We were definitely underdogs and at that time no away team won at the pit.

What a game to remember a good time to be a Billikens fan.

Yes, won 80-73.  Bonner had 24 and 19,  Luechtefeld 19 and 4 and Big Chill 12 and 7.  Longley had 12 and 18. 

Lost the next NIT game at MSG to Vandy by 2.  

CBFan likes this

1 minute ago, bonwich said:

Weren't there two Luc Longley games, and didn't we beatch-slap him both times? 

I think you are right. One year we won @ the Pit in the Elite 8 round. The next year we played them again in the Final 4 in MSG. Both years we lost in the finals.

The beauty of the internet:

1989: Won 66-65 at New Mexico in NIT Elite 8. Beat Michigan ST. in Final 4 then lost by 2 to St. Johns.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-louis/1989-schedule.html

1990: Beat New Mexico in Final 4 80-73 before losing to Vandy by 2. Beat DePaul at home to go to the Final 4. Court storming ensued.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-louis/1990-schedule.html

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The beauty of the internet:

1989: Won 66-65 at New Mexico in NIT Elite 8. Beat Michigan ST. in Final 4 then lost by 2 to St. Johns.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-louis/1989-schedule.html

1990: Beat New Mexico in Final 4 80-73 before losing to Vandy by 2. Beat DePaul at home to go to the Final 4. Court storming ensued.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-louis/1990-schedule.html

There were 2 or 3 that stormed the court at MSG in that victory over NM and Longley.

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm most interested to see if a true rim protector rises out of our group of Bigs.  I'm looking for Reed #2, Big Chill reincarnated, or Ian the Greek levels.  Last year Welmer lead the team with 32 blocks or just under 1 per game.  Someone needs to be at 50 to 60.  Who will take control of the lane?

The team modern day record for blocked shots is Soderberg's 2006-2007 team with 142 blocks.  That record needs to go down this season.

[An interesting side note, that 06-07 was huge.  We had 6 players 6'8" or taller.  We had Husak at 7'0" and Vouyoukas at 6'10" plus Dixon, Ikeafor, Johnson and Knollmeyer all at 6'8".]

That in its self tells you height is only an advantage if the tall body is athletic.   I will take a bunch of athletic guys 6'6" to 6'8" over 7 foot stiffs every time.....see Husak, see Manning, etc.

Although we don’t have the 6’10” + guys, we do have good size at the 1-3 which should give us improved defense on the perimeter, making the job a little easier for our interior guys.  Additionally, with our athletic 3 and 4’s I suspect we’ll have better interior help defense.  

MoyToy is into length.  He like those long dudes clogging the lane. 

Denying the pass inside can neutralize a height advantage by 1. forcing longer shots that can be rebounded easier by our taller wing players and 2. not letting them get the ball for the bigger guy to shoot.  If we're going to see more transition basketball it's better to have the tweeners.  SLU doesn't get the Muhammad Bambas and Jarret Allens that can run the floor at 6'11.