Practice news

SLURadioBoy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I forgot where majerus’s unique coaching style was what Travis Ford has said he is emulating. 

It's not necessarily Majerus' unique style. Some coaches like the energy a player brings coming off the bench a few minutes after tip-off. More important than the starting lineup is who is on the court when the game is close at the end.

11 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Best players on the court at all times. 

So we pick the 5 best players, have them play the whole 40 minutes, and everyone else just sits on the bench? Yeah, that's a good idea.

10 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

It's not necessarily Majerus' unique style. Some coaches like the energy a player brings coming off the bench a few minutes after tip-off. More important than the starting lineup is who is on the court when the game is close at the end.

So we pick the 5 best players, have them play the whole 40 minutes, and everyone else just sits on the bench? Yeah, that's a good idea.

I’m not saying roby won’t get bench minutes but he won’t be the first off the bench at least towards the end of the season. Anthony, bishop, foreman, graves and Welmer and roby will be competing for the 6-9 spots left 

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

There is typically not much to report from a practice beyond injury updates and quotes from the coaches and players (depending on who is made available).

Are posters on here expecting Stu not to address the current cloud over the program? I assume for all of us more die hard fans of the program, that is the biggest thing on our minds. I thought his article mentioning the current situation, first time injury updates, and quotes from Ford was what I would expect to see.

Chosen, I have been going to Billiken games since you were in diapers (1987).  Does that qualify me as die hard?  To be honest I am just glad we are back to talking basketball and getting excited for the season.

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

By the way, I have no dispute with the starting 5 mentioned by Rothstein. 

I have a dispute with it.  I'd like to have at least one player taller than 6-7 in the starting lineup, if the roster has such players.  French will probably battle foul trouble throughout his career — and especially during his freshman season — and it may be even worse if he's regularly matched up against a back-to-the-basket big a lot.  And I shudder to think of Johnson guarding a 5.

23 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I have a dispute with it.  I'd like to have at least one player taller than 6-7 in the starting lineup, if the roster has such players.  French will probably battle foul trouble throughout his career — and especially during his freshman season — and it may be even worse if he's regularly matched up against a back-to-the-basket big a lot.  And I shudder to think of Johnson guarding a 5.

And what makes you think he will be the type that fouls out.  HS and AAU stats do not bear that out......

And the A10 have few dominate 5's.

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I do and it only works for the type of recruits majerus got. Rick wasn’t competing against P5 programs for recruits like Ford 

What were you like 5 when Coach Majerus was here?  

Rob Loe chose SLU over Arizona, Pitt and Colorado

Kwamain Mitchell - Marquette, Wisconsin, Utah and MN

Jordair Jett - Baylor and Arkansas

That is just three easy ones.

Look this stuff up next time.  Don't disparage Coach Majerus.  [Use a Capital M when addressing him, please.]

NextYearBill and bonwich like this

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

What does that mean? Ford said who the starters are?

People complain about what is or isn't in an article about practice when they don't know what they've been cleared to write about. Coaches set limitations on what they can say most of the time. 

4 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Oh really? Please tell me how many top 100 recruits he got. Ford is on another level in recruiting and it will show this season 

Calipari is on another level than everyone else.  How many college basketball games did Devin Booker start?

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

What were you like 5 when Coach Majerus was here?  

Rob Loe chose SLU over Arizona, Pitt and Colorado

Kwamain Mitchell - Marquette, Wisconsin, Utah and MN

Jordair Jett - Baylor and Arkansas

That is just three easy ones.

Look this stuff up next time.  Don't disparage Coach Majerus.  [Use a Capital M when addressing him, please.]

True if they were comittable offers