Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, CBFan said:

Now that Nesbitt is here opinions on how the 2 remaining scholarships are filled.

My feeling is to give a scholarship to Phillip Russell especially since there can be 14 scholarship players this season.  If Phillip is a good team member and student I hope he will get a free ride for next season.

I would like to see the other scholarship go to a freshman big like Gassama.

I don't think that Ford is done on the transfer market.  I wouldn't start handing out scholarships to walk-ons and non-elite high schoolers until the transfer market plays itself out.

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't think that Ford is done on the transfer market.  I wouldn't start handing out scholarships to walk-ons and non-elite high schoolers until the transfer market plays itself out.

Exactly.  Mason Madsen will have a Zoom call with Coach Ford later this week.  A very talented player in Jalen Cone just settled on Northern Arizona.  A lot of guards in the transfer portal hoping to land at a high major will have to go mid-major.

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We really need another guard who can run the point. We're putting too much on Yuri. I really liked the Majerus approach - you can never have too many combo guards - who can handle the ball and facilitate. Even after having Kwamain, Jordair and McCall on the roster, he went out and got one more guard who could handle the ball in Carter - who wound up having a solid career after bailing on Crews. Outside of Yuri, some of speculated that Nesbitt is capable of handling the ball and facilitating the offense, even if that is the case, we still need one more. FT, GJ and JW are not capable of filling that role.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

We really need another guard who can run the point. We're putting too much on Yuri. I really liked the Majerus approach - you can never have too many combo guards - who can handle the ball and facilitate. Even after having Kwamain, Jordair and McCall on the roster, he went out and got one more guard who could handle the ball in Carter - who wound up having a solid career after bailing on Crews. Outside of Yuri, some of speculated that Nesbitt is capable of handling the ball and facilitating the offense, even if that is the case, we still need one more. FT, GJ and JW are not capable of filling that role.

The problem is you're not going to be able to recruit someone to play that role without many minutes available. Your best bet for fixing this problem is either Goodwin returning or Rashad Williams or Phil Russell growing into the role.

2 minutes ago, NH said:

The problem is you're not going to be able to recruit someone to play that role without many minutes available. Your best bet for fixing this problem is either Goodwin returning or Rashad Williams or Phil Russell growing into the role.

The scores of combo guards sitting in the transfer portal won't have a choice.  With each passing day their number increases and the number of destinations remains the same.

Ford can be pretty selective with these last two available spots at this point, but Woody Newton, a 6-8 stretch big from Syracuse would fit the profile of the type of player I would like to see them contact. He played sparingly as a freshman, but is athletic and can knock down 3s. He was a 4-star coming out of high school and I suspect would be an upgrade over AL in that stretch 4 role.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree 100%.  But would like to see the last 2 scholarships to a high potential point guard that can give a productive 10 to 15 minutes immediately.  Believe Collins would be more productive if he plays less minutes and had a talented point guard pushing him for playing time. Now if Nesbitt can play an effective PG, then maybe a combo guard Mason Manson would be a nice get.  You never have too many shooters. Then, intrigued with Sekue Gassama for that last scholarship.  Athletic bigs, 6"10",  sure don't grow on trees.  But needs a year in the program before contributing.

6 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I would get a PG. We need depth, Yuri has been injured two straight years and I would like to always have 2 PGs - 2 years apart. A Freshman point guard along with a junior point guard and the. Soph w a Senior 

Doesn't Nesbitt play PG?  I thought I heard he plays the 1 and 2.  Unless you're talking about a true PG.

Just now, Littlebill said:

+1. A back up PG is so far down the list of needs for this team. Get the most talented guys you can

For me the List is:

#1 PF

#2 Rim protector

#3 Another PF

#4 True PG

i agree we need to have a legit point guard.   now if Nesbitt as 3 star has said, is a legit point guard, with his size and athleticism he is about as close to goodwin as we could hope to find and he would then service the backup point guard need. 

it the above works, i just take the best athletes available that want to play hard.   i am not concerned about bigs for next year.   okoro will easily upgrade french imo and then you have bell and linnsen, so if a quality athlete with big man skills falls in our laps, great.   otherwise move on.  no reach please.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree we need to have a legit point guard.   now if Nesbitt as 3 star has said, is a legit point guard, with his size and athleticism he is about as close to goodwin as we could hope to find and he would then service the backup point guard need. 

it the above works, i just take the best athletes available that want to play hard.   i am not concerned about bigs for next year.   okoro will easily upgrade french imo and then you have bell and linnsen, so if a quality athlete with big man skills falls in our laps, great.   otherwise move on.  no reach please.

If Okoro is truly  an upgrade on French we will be a  great team. While French's senior year might be considered a disappointment he is one of the Billiken best big men. 

20 minutes ago, willie said:

If Okoro is truly  an upgrade on French we will be a  great team. While French's senior year might be considered a disappointment he is one of the Billiken best big men. 

Agreed.  He may be an upgrade in terms of height, but I can’t believe he would be an upgrade otherwise.

Just now, CenHudDude said:

Agreed.  He may be an upgrade in terms of height, but I can’t believe he would be an upgrade otherwise.

did you ever watch french shoot beyond 2 feet?

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I am concerned about the depth of the front court and with Okoro’s injury and not knowing whether Bell will develop I would feel much better with another tall strong big man.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

I am concerned about the depth of the front court and with Okoro’s injury and not knowing whether Bell will develop I would feel much better with another tall strong big man.

Does Okoro have a new injury that I’ve not heard about?

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

we have more depth in the front court than we have ever had....a 4th big is going to do nothing but sit...

bauman and dennis_w like this