Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

8 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

only one in three Americans can actually pass the US citizenship test, for example.

I should also say -- given my wife is Japanese and a couple years ago was naturalized here, so she had to study for the citizenship test -- it's got some tough questions.  the way they do it -- you get the 100 questions, and then at the test, they choose randomly 10, of which the person must get 6 correct, I believe.

So unless you know the 5 US territories; who was president during WW I; how many amendments there are to the US Constitution; or the 3 authors of the Federalists: reserve your judgments!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Live Periods

Official recommendation from the coaches association yesterday for the NCAA will cancel the live periods for June & July.  This essentially cancels the legitimate AAU circuits (Nike, Adidas, Under Armour).  No EYBL, Peach Jam, etc.  I could still see somebody convincing a rec center to let them host a tournament and then streaming it online for college coaches to see.  Similar to what's going on with baseball in St. Charles right now.  Could potentially see live periods in the Fall.  Seems like the pendulum swings a little back towards HS coaches being important instead of AAU with this development. 

11 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I had a friend from undergrad at Rockhurst that went to SLU for grad school.  He was originally from Nebraska.  I ran into him after a game at Chaifetz while he was in grad school.  I think it was probably 2012-13 season.  He told me that before the game he didn't even know SLU had a DI basketball team much less that they were any good.  He just decided to go because some friends were going.  Granted, I wouldn't consider this guy a casual sports fan - or at least not a casual basketball fan.  However, the fact that he freaking went to school at SLU and the team was in the midst of a 3 year NCAA run and he didn't even know they had a DI team was pretty freaking nuts to me.

Helps explain anemic student support over the years.

1 hour ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Live Periods

Official recommendation from the coaches association yesterday for the NCAA will cancel the live periods for June & July.  This essentially cancels the legitimate AAU circuits (Nike, Adidas, Under Armour).  No EYBL, Peach Jam, etc.  I could still see somebody convincing a rec center to let them host a tournament and then streaming it online for college coaches to see.  Similar to what's going on with baseball in St. Charles right now.  Could potentially see live periods in the Fall.  Seems like the pendulum swings a little back towards HS coaches being important instead of AAU with this development. 

I know right now there are some kind of open gyms going on in Columbia - I've seen TJ, and Goodwin post insta stories. I saw X Pinson in a highlight that TJ posted

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I know right now there are some kind of open gyms going on in Columbia - I've seen TJ, and Goodwin post insta stories. I saw X Pinson in a highlight that TJ posted

Any poaching going on? 🤔

Springfield Tourney of Champions field for next season:

DeSmet, IMG Academy, Atlanta Pace Academy, Philadelphia Roman Catholic, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, Kansas Sunrise Christian, Springfield Greenwood, Springfield Kickapoo.

Highland Shootout field for next season:

Hamilton Milwaukee, WI, Millard North Omaha, NE, Notre Dame Chicago/Niles, St. Louis Christian, Fenwick Chicago Oak Park, Tinley Park Chicago, Chaminade, Hazelwood Central, MICDS, Danville, Belleville East, Wesclin, Highland.

(DeSmet is also committed to play in the Ozark Mountain Shootout and the Midwest Showdown Shootout.)

On 5/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, Major Majerus said:

Any poaching going on? 🤔

If I was Travis I'd put an off limits to open gyms at Mizzery for SLU players. I can see the poach coach licking his chops over guys like Yuri, TJ, and actually any Billiken that plays up there. Are we sure the video with TJ was shot in Columbia? I think someone said it was at Frazier's place. I wonder why Hughes doesn't open his academy up to SLU players. And actually I hate to see these guys competing in pickup games at this time. Some who have the C19 are asymptomatic. Unless all these folks have been tested, I'd suggest our guys give a wide berth to these type of games. 

27 minutes ago, courtside said:

Springfield Tourney of Champions field for next season:

DeSmet, IMG Academy, Atlanta Pace Academy, Philadelphia Roman Catholic, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, Kansas Sunrise Christian, Springfield Greenwood, Springfield Kickapoo.

Highland Shootout field for next season:

Hamilton Milwaukee, WI, Millard North Omaha, NE, Notre Dame Chicago/Niles, St. Louis Christian, Fenwick Chicago Oak Park, Tinley Park Chicago, Chaminade, Hazelwood Central, MICDS, Danville, Belleville East, Wesclin, Highland.

(DeSmet is also committed to play in the Ozark Mountain Shootout and the Midwest Showdown Shootout.)

No Vashon?? 

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If I was Travis I'd put an off limits to open gyms at Mizzery for SLU players. I can see the poach coach licking his chops over guys like Yuri, TJ, and actually any Billiken that plays up there. Are we sure the video with TJ was shot in Columbia? I think someone said it was at Frazier's place. I wonder why Hughes doesn't open his academy up to SLU players. And actually I hate to see these guys competing in pickup games at this time. Some who have the C19 are asymptomatic. Unless all these folks have been tested, I'd suggest our guys give a wide berth to these type of games. 

of all the mizzou players TJ was playing with, none will be there after next year. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I have no idea but since Hughes is an alumni would it be some type of violation if he opened up his academy for current players?

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

All the more reason for the Coach Poach to make his move or set his traps. 

I was more talking about players wanting to play together 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

of all the mizzou players TJ was playing with, none will be there after next year. 

If anyone has to worry it's coach Poach. Those players are probably begging Yuri and TJ to take them back with them to STL.

AGB91, ACE, CBFan and 1 other like this

7 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I have no idea but since Hughes is an alumni would it be some type of violation if he opened up his academy for current players?

seems like a simple no. But this is the NCAA we're taking about so probably yeah 

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No Vashon?? 

Some events are still finalizing teams and some teams are still finalizing schedules. Vashon will be playing in several high profile events as they did this past year. One closer to home event will be the Quincy Shootout which will include Baltimore Poly, Huntington Prep WV, Chicago Whitney Young, Chicago Tinley Park, Bishop Miege KS, Blue Valley Northwest KS, Chaminade, St. Louis Christian, among others.

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

i would think he has to treat the billiken players the same as he treats any other player utilizing his academy.    that said, i also believe because of a previous relationship (the second is his son that's about as previous a relationship as it gets) he can do whatever he wants with his son as far as contacts and using his facilities and equipment.   just not the other players.  

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If anyone has to worry it's coach Poach. Those players are probably begging Yuri and TJ to take them back with them to STL.

Agreed. TJ was wearing a Billikens T-Shirt (I think) while he posterizing that dude in the clip. I’m not overly concerned.

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Agreed. TJ was wearing a Billikens T-Shirt (I think) while he posterizing that dude in the clip. I’m not overly concerned.

Lol that made me smile 

Reinert310 likes this

47 minutes ago, courtside said:

Some events are still finalizing teams and some teams are still finalizing schedules. Vashon will be playing in several high profile events as they did this past year. One closer to home event will be the Quincy Shootout which will include Baltimore Poly, Huntington Prep WV, Chicago Whitney Young, Chicago Tinley Park, Bishop Miege KS, Blue Valley Northwest KS, Chaminade, St. Louis Christian, among others.

Yeah.  They will have another tough schedule.  They will be young and inexperienced.  

Corey Frazier was just one Frank's show to talk about finally getting his degree from SLU and the Bradley Beal Elite. Frank asked him about Kern and Nesbitt specifically.

I'm paraphrasing, but Corey said that Kern is pretty much just being recruited by in-state schools at this point and he hopes that he gets a season where he can show people what he can really do with Fletcher and last year's seniors gone.

He said that Nesbitt is a special player. He's a big guard who plays relentless defense and rebounds. He has a body like Goodwin, except he's taller and better with the ball. He said SLU has done a great job recruiting him and is one of Nesbitt's top teams.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anyone worried about these open gyms is being irrational. I’d be worried about the players that aren’t working out. They could play at Cameron Indoor for all I care. 

There was something I read earlier last week that talked about the NFL lockdown. The team knew who was dedicated when everyone came back. I don't see anyone on this team not determined though. We have one of the hardest working team I have ever seen

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anyone worried about these open gyms is being irrational. I’d be worried about the players that aren’t working out. They could play at Cameron Indoor for all I care. 

3 minutes ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

There was something I read earlier last week that talked about the NFL lockdown. The team knew who was dedicated when everyone came back. I don't see anyone on this team not determined though. We have one of the hardest working team I have ever seen

Who I think it hurts the most is a guy like Lorentsson. I know Sweden never really shut down, but not having any college basketball experience, he’s gonna be behind the 8-ball from a strength and conditioning standpoint. His shooting could be the great equalizer, but the sooner he’s able to get on campus, the better.

billiken_roy likes this

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ll only be worried if Goodwin and French start practicing at the Ford Wayne Mad Ants or the Greensboro Swarm practice facilities.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’ll only be worried if Goodwin and French start practicing at the Ford Wayne Mad Ants or the Greensboro Swarm practice facilities.

i also worry that saint louis university is going to announce some jacked up fall semester opening b.s. that will send the two of them searching for the next leg of their life journey.   hopefully slu doesnt give them a reason to move on.  

RUBillsFan and SLU_Lax like this