Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Is.  I have four kids.  All of them could have attended Pepperdine for free.  All of them attended Jesuit institutions (2 to SLU).

I believe I had your dad as prof in the early 70s. Still recall on how much I enjoyed his classes.

We have close friends from the Malibu area that are long term season ticket holders of the Waves. Always make the trip to LV for the WCC tourney.  They not particuliarly overtly religious or alums, just hoops fans. I will have to kid them about that. The husband, years ago was a volunteer assistant basketball coach at a local Catholic HS in the area.

7 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Is.  I have four kids.  All of them could have attended Pepperdine for free.  All of them attended Jesuit institutions (2 to SLU).

I applied/was accepted to Pepperdine back in the 90s.  I did very little research into the school but was totally blown away by the photos in their marketing materials and some of the very SoCal aspects of the school - e.g., P.E. was required, but you could take surfing, golf, horseback riding, etc.  I remember having to write an essay about my religious beliefs, or something along those lines.  Definitely dodged a bullet by not going there.

First, congratulations to Sekou. Well earned. Both he and YaYa have come a long way in a few short years in a new country, playing a new sport that many of their peers played for many more years. Both are excellent students and people.

With that said, I have known several people who have attended Pepperdine that came from various backgrounds, with different interests. All of them had a good experience, all drink alcohol, none are religious. I have spent some time there as well.

Sekou is going there to get a good education, play basketball, and for other reasons than to party.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The median family income of a Pepperdine student is about $130K.  That's actually lower than SLU's.  I Imagine there's quite a few Pepperdine students who can't take advantage of the expensive life outside of the university.

Well how about that, it was a bit presumptuous! SLU a few thousand more at $133k. I guess I could have googled that...

Still tons of stuff to do in the immediate area that doesn't include $20 cheeseburgers and requires little to no money at all (hiking, biking, camping, beaches, etc.) Plus Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade) isn't far. Maybe things are different these days but I didn't have a car my freshman year of college and I always managed to find a ride to places I needed/wanted to go.

Average temperature in Malibu is around 61. Santa Monica Mountains behind campus, Pacific Ocean in front of it. If you're lying around your dorm room all day moping about how bad campus life sucks then you should probably switch schools. 

I'm sure a lot of people have high expectations entering Pepperdine given its location and end up being disappointed due to some of the things wendelprof stated. But your college experience is what you make of it. I can think of a lot worse places to spend 4 years of my life. 

2 hours ago, Compton said:

There's a burger stand along the PCH in Malibu called Country Kitchen that has good grub at more reasonable prices than what's been cited. There's also a liquor store next door so you can grab some Modelos to wash down the cheeseburgers. 

Forgot about that place! Good call. I mean yeah, Malibu isn't all white tablecloth dining. There are plenty of reasonably priced eating establishments and quick service restaurants along PCH. I mentioned Dukes and Moonshadows partly as a joke because they are pretty famous (and we all know about Mel Gibson's little Moonshadows meltdown). But they'd also be cool spots to hang out in if you did have the money to enjoy them. I think I'd manage to make it through college on a diet of Country Kitchen burgers and Modelos 😀 

Anywhoo, back to 2021 recruiting....we going with all transfers this year or what?!?!

On 3/31/2021 at 9:08 PM, Pistol said:

He'd be a junior next season. Numbers are up from last season, when he averaged 13.1 PPG and 6.6 RPG. Slashline is .573/.265/.734, all down a bit from last season but shooting 57% on that volume is eye opening. Not a great three point shooter but good enough to keep defenses honest, with that size.

From Scott Burgess: "Super impressed with Mineral Area sophomore PF Malevy Leons. Mobile 4 can really shoot it with a free & easy stroke. Bouncy around the rim on both ends finishing slams & swatting shots."

From before the season:

"Leons is highly skilled, athletic and plays primarily on perimeter. He can create mismatches all over the court and shoot over anybody. He uses his length well and has a high IQ. Now standing at 6'10, Leons is looking to improve on a stellar freshman season. He is working on adding strength as he gets ready for the 4 year level.

He currently has offers from schools in the Missouri Valley, C-USA, Big Sky, MAC, Horizon and Sun Belt. Multiple HM schools are keeping in touch with Leons but haven't offered yet. Right now, he plans to wait until the Spring before making a decision. He hopes to be able to take several visits to schools to get a better feel for programs."

I don't buy the "plays primarily on the perimeter" line, given that he shoots 3.4 3-pointers per game and scores 19 points a game. He's getting to the rim and apparently is great in transition.

Coaches are following him on Twitter from NKU, East Carolina, St. John's, Georgia Southern, SEMO, Southern Miss, Utah Valley, Montana State, Jacksonville State, Chicago State, McNeese State, Evansville, Holy Cross, Towson, Creighton, Eastern Michigan, Youngstown State, UMass-Lowell, Murray State, UC-Riverside, Florida Atlantic, Nebraska, Morehead State, Stetson, Loyola-Chicago, Sam Houston State, Tulsa, South Carolina State, New Orleans, UIC, Tennessee-Martin, Fresno State, SIUC, South Dakota State, Cleveland State, Bethune-Cookman, Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, and Iona. So yeah, the whole gamut.

I am starting to want this kid.

Pistol likes this

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am starting to want this kid.

Kid really looks good.  Seems though SLU is not involved?  And surprised he appears not to have any power conference offers?   Looks like a good shooter although shot looks a bit awkward, athletic, can handle the ball for a big, appears to have decent hops.  What am I missing????  Looks like an A10 prospect at least to me.

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Kid really looks good.  Seems though SLU is not involved?  And surprised he appears not to have any power conference offers?   Looks like a good shooter although shot looks a bit awkward, athletic, can handle the ball for a big, appears to have decent hops.  What am I missing????  Looks like an A10 prospect at least to me.

I think the JUCO kids are getting even more lost in the flood of transfers than the high school kids.  It is spot programs on SLU’s level could get a steal in this cycle, but it appears everyone is directing the vast majority of their efforts to the transfer portal.

With SLU, you can’t underestimate the impact of being a man down at a time like this either.  Without a doubt, Stuen’s health is the most important thing.  It is just a really bad time to be down a recruiter. 

Pistol likes this

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

You're not missing anything. He's on the radar of or in contact with dozens of D-I programs. Schools are just not prioritizing JUCOs this year the way they are other D-I transfers - same reason the HS class of 2021 is going way underrecruited. Unfortunate timing for anyone trying to get in D-I for the first time. So there's a lot of monitoring of these players, but the offers are slow.

I've noticed that the portal news in the past 5 or so days is really starting to shift toward commitments and new entrants have slowed to a trickle, so the offers may start to come in for guys like Leons very soon.

brianstl likes this

On 4/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, courtside said:

First, congratulations to Sekou. Well earned. Both he and YaYa have come a long way in a few short years in a new country, playing a new sport that many of their peers played for many more years. Both are excellent students and people.

With that said, I have known several people who have attended Pepperdine that came from various backgrounds, with different interests. All of them had a good experience, all drink alcohol, none are religious. I have spent some time there as well.

Sekou is going there to get a good education, play basketball, and for other reasons than to party.

When we lived in the Lou our next door neighbors kid went to Pepperdine. He played water polo for them. He liked the school so much that he went to work there after he graduated. 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Christian Moore 5'10 PG Cape Henry HS, Virginia Beach.  Currently has offers from Ohio, Army and Hampton.

Wasn’t sure what the connection to us was, but just noticed that he started following most of our coaching staff on Twitter. How often does that lead to a commitment?

23 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Wasn’t sure what the connection to us was, but just noticed that he started following most of our coaching staff on Twitter. How often does that lead to a commitment?

From what I have seen the player following the whole staff doesn't mean a commitment is imminent.   There have been many kids that follow the whole staff who we have never been even recruiting. Now if multiple staff members start following the same kid or the the team's account starts following the player then a commitment could be imminent, but even that doesn't always end up being the case.  Right now only one staff member is following Moore.

It appears Moore is going to be be a player that is really going to blow up now that people are going to see him play.  Interest in him seems to really picked up after the weekend's AAU showcase after staffs have seen him for the first time in person after he has had a growth spurt.  

Christian Moore - PG, 6-2, 175 - Virginia Beach, VA (Cape Henry) - AAU: Team Thrill (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @IamChristianM_1
Offers: Ohio, Army, Hampton.

Interest: Saint Louis, VCU, George Washington, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Purdue, West Virginia, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Boise State, Cornell, Murray State, Bowling Green, East Tennessee State, VMI, Old Dominion, Marshall, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette, Towson, James Madison, Niagara, UNC-Asheville, Longwood, Mount St. Mary's, Norfolk State.

Latest News: Moore has new interest from SLU. (4/26/21)

Scouting Report: Moore is a point guard who can score on three levels. He can shoot off the dribble, catch, or screens, and has range well beyond the three-point line. He's quick and crafty and smart, with the ability to make plays for his teammates. He handles the ball well and changes speeds. He's a defensive pest. He led his team to an undefeated record and state title this year. One of his older brothers played at the Citadel before playing overseas and the other played baseball at Indiana State.

-Definitely intriguing to consider his skill set and scoring ability in our backcourt. He'd definitely be playing a supporting role but I like his attributes next to either Collins or Nesbitt. I found another article saying his dad has coached at the HS level and he's got a high GPA, taking a handful of honors and AP courses. Seems like a well rounded player and person from what I can gather. Like any other 2021 recruit outside the top 150 or so, he appears to be underrecruited.

Old guy and dennis_w like this

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Christian Moore - PG, 6-2, 175 - Virginia Beach, VA (Cape Henry) - AAU: Team Thrill (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @IamChristianM_1
Offers: Ohio, Army, Hampton.

Interest: Saint Louis, VCU, George Washington, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Purdue, West Virginia, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Boise State, Cornell, Murray State, Bowling Green, East Tennessee State, VMI, Old Dominion, Marshall, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette, Towson, James Madison, Niagara, UNC-Asheville, Longwood, Mount St. Mary's, Norfolk State.

Latest News: Moore has new interest from SLU. (4/26/21)

Scouting Report: Moore is a point guard who can score on three levels. He can shoot off the dribble, catch, or screens, and has range well beyond the three-point line. He's quick and crafty and smart, with the ability to make plays for his teammates. He handles the ball well and changes speeds. He's a defensive pest. He led his team to an undefeated record and state title this year. One of his older brothers played at the Citadel before playing overseas and the other played baseball at Indiana State.

-Definitely intriguing to consider his skill set and scoring ability in our backcourt. He'd definitely be playing a supporting role but I like his attributes next to either Collins or Nesbitt. I found another article saying his dad has coached at the HS level and he's got a high GPA, taking a handful of honors and AP courses. Seems like a well rounded player and person from what I can gather. Like any other 2021 recruit outside the top 150 or so, he appears to be underrecruited.

When I checked out the highlight vid, I thought I was looking at a quicker Jermaine Bishop, which is a good thing.

Pistol likes this

Another 2021 name, this one a JUCO player:

Yazid Powell - G, 6-4, 185 - Philadelphia, PA (Harcum College) - Twitter: @zidpowell
Offers: Rider, Central Connecticut State, Mississippi Valley State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Utah State, Cleveland State, Bowling Green, Southern Miss, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, James Madison, Towson, Marist, Cal State-Bakersfield, Cal Poly, Charleston Southern, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Coppin State, South Carolina State, Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Latest News: Powell has new interest from SLU. (4/26/21)

Scouting Report: Powell is a combo guard with good size and strength. He can shoot it a little bit from outside but does most of his work getting to the basket. He finishes hard in transition. He rebounds his position well and is a tough defender who creates turnovers. He averaged 17.4 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 3.9 APG this season, with a slashline of .538/.275/.743.

-He spent his first two HS years at Boys' Latin School, transferred to West Philadelphia to finish out his junior year (but didn't play), and transferred to Overbook for his senior year. He was ruled ineligible, spent his senior year at Rocktop Academy, a prep program based in Philly, but was only lightly recruited. So he planned to do a prep year at Mt. Zion Prep in Maryland, committed to Rider before that season, wound up taking the prep year at Olympus Prep Academy in New Jersey, decommitted from Rider, and did his first college season at Community College of Beaver County (PA). He spent this season at Harcum College, also in PA. While at CCBC last season, he scored 81 in a game as a tribute to Kobe Bryant, matching Kobe's career high. His offers shown above are all from HS.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Another 2021 name, this one a JUCO player:

Yazid Powell - G, 6-4, 185 - Philadelphia, PA (Harcum College) - Twitter: @zidpowell
Offers: Rider, Central Connecticut State, Mississippi Valley State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Utah State, Cleveland State, Bowling Green, Southern Miss, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern Louisiana, James Madison, Towson, Marist, Cal State-Bakersfield, Cal Poly, Charleston Southern, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Coppin State, South Carolina State, Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Latest News: Powell has new interest from SLU. (4/26/21)

Scouting Report: Powell is a combo guard with good size and strength. He can shoot it a little bit from outside but does most of his work getting to the basket. He finishes hard in transition. He rebounds his position well and is a tough defender who creates turnovers. He averaged 17.4 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 3.9 APG this season, with a slashline of .538/.275/.743.

-He spent his first two HS years at Boys' Latin School, transferred to West Philadelphia to finish out his junior year (but didn't play), and transferred to Overbook for his senior year. He was ruled ineligible, spent his senior year at Rocktop Academy, a prep program based in Philly, but was only lightly recruited. So he planned to do a prep year at Mt. Zion Prep in Maryland, committed to Rider before that season, wound up taking the prep year at Olympus Prep Academy in New Jersey, decommitted from Rider, and did his first college season at Community College of Beaver County (PA). He spent this season at Harcum College, also in PA. While at CCBC last season, he scored 81 in a game as a tribute to Kobe Bryant, matching Kobe's career high. His offers shown above are all from HS.

So, Goodwin doubled as a Juco player?