Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were recruiting Gassama for quite some time but I would be very surprised by a commitment at this point, given the makeup of the roster. If he were a true stretch four, maybe, but we've got Okoro, Linssen, and Bell down low. Unless the plan is to redshirt him and he's fine with a long-term development plan, I don't see it happening.

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We were recruiting Gassama for quite some time but I would be very surprised by a commitment at this point, given the makeup of the roster. If he were a true stretch four, maybe, but we've got Okoro, Linssen, and Bell down low. Unless the plan is to redshirt him and he's fine with a long-term development plan, I don't see it happening.

I was never really impressed with Gassama until this year. He looks like he could physically play in the A10 now. However, He is the type of player that needs to be able to hit over 34% of his 3’s, and be an outside-in 5 man, to be effective (like Rob Loe). I am not sure he can do that.

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

I was never really impressed with Gassama until this year. He looks like he could physically play in the A10 now. However, He is the type of player that needs to be able to hit over 34% of his 3’s, and be an outside-in 5 man, to be effective (like Rob Loe). I am not sure he can do that.

Injury and horrible point guard play his junior year stunted his development.  The Gassama we saw this year we should have seen last year. 

An athletic 6'10 project can develop into a formidable mid-major big if he can rebound and hit free throws.  Gassama can do that.  There are lots of mid-majors where he could break into the rotation right away.  I hope he chose one.

Wilson received a SLU offer last year and proceeded to blow up after that, ending up with 30+ offers, mostly within a few months' time. He signed with Alabama about six months ago and is now being released from his NLI per his request. I don't know whether SLU could or wants to get back into it, but he's probably going to have a very busy recruitment over the coming weeks (or days, or however long he wants to make it).

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Wilson received a SLU offer last year and proceeded to blow up after that, ending up with 30+ offers, mostly within a few months' time. He signed with Alabama about six months ago and is now being released from his NLI per his request. I don't know whether SLU could or wants to get back into it, but he's probably going to have a very busy recruitment over the coming weeks (or days, or however long he wants to make it).

It looks like Alabama was over committed. They still need to lose one more player

Just now, Pistol said:

Good get for Romar.

Good for Sekou! There’s much worse places to spend you college years than Malibu, California. Hope has a great career.

Good for Sekou, but Pepperdine doesn't share all the fun of Southern California.  As a Church of Christ institution, there's no drinking or dancing permitted on campus, and they strictly enforce it (yes, they expel students who break the rules).  And Malibu is about 25 minutes up the coast from Santa Monica.  There's quite a bit of night life in Santa Monica, there's almost none in Malibu.  Great views of the ocean, but not much else from a college student's perspective.  Romar is a great guy, so at least he'll be playing for one of the good guys.

willie and Box and Won like this

21 hours ago, Pistol said:

A 6'9" power forward coming in as a freshman that was good enough for Alabama would seem like a good get if Ford can get back in the mix

18 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Good for Sekou, but Pepperdine doesn't share all the fun of Southern California.  As a Church of Christ institution, there's no drinking or dancing permitted on campus, and they strictly enforce it (yes, they expel students who break the rules).  And Malibu is about 25 minutes up the coast from Santa Monica.  There's quite a bit of night life in Santa Monica, there's almost none in Malibu.  Great views of the ocean, but not much else from a college student's perspective.  Romar is a great guy, so at least he'll be playing for one of the good guys.

If I were a student at Pepperdine I'd take a 10 minute Uber to Duke's and Moonshadow's every weekend to get drunk. 10 minute Uber to Paradise Cove Cafe on Sundays to day drink on the beach. Doesn't get much better than that. 15 minutes to Zuma Beach. 25 minutes - 12 hours to Santa Monica (depending on traffic). For those that prefer non-drinking activities, there are plenty of hiking options close by, beach sports, and shops in Malibu. Think I would still take that over college town life. 

You sure about the no dancing policy? Pretty sure they have student-run dance groups at Pepperdine.

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If I were a student at Pepperdine I'd take a 10 minute Uber to Duke's and Moonshadow's every weekend to get drunk. 10 minute Uber to Paradise Cove Cafe on Sundays to day drink on the beach. Doesn't get much better than that. 15 minutes to Zuma Beach. 25 minutes - 12 hours to Santa Monica (depending on traffic). For those that prefer non-drinking activities, there are plenty of hiking options close by, beach sports, and shops in Malibu. Think I would still take that over college town life. 

You sure about the no dancing policy? Pretty sure they have student-run dance groups at Pepperdine.

If the dancing is part of the theater program, it is permitted.  Weekend dancing, casual dancing, fun dancing, is not.  And if one came back to campus drunk I think that would not be permitted to happen too often.  The school doesn't take kindly to students who try to skirt the rules.  And if you don't mind paying $100 for a t-shirt, there's great shopping in the trendy shops in Malibu, or $20 for a burger at Dukes or Paradise Cove.  I know I couldn't have afforded that lifestyle when I was a student.  Not much fun being so close to all that and knowing that it is beyond my resources.  I do agree that there are great hiking and beach options close to school (the "free" options), but you have to have a car.  No one walks in LA - or Malibu.  Pepperdine's campus is as close to an on-land "island" as one can get.  You have to pass guard gates to get on and off.  It isn't like the rest of southern California, nor does it want to be.

1 hour ago, Wendelprof said:

If the dancing is part of the theater program, it is permitted.  Weekend dancing, casual dancing, fun dancing, is not.  And if one came back to campus drunk I think that would not be permitted to happen too often.  The school doesn't take kindly to students who try to skirt the rules.  And if you don't mind paying $100 for a t-shirt, there's great shopping in the trendy shops in Malibu, or $20 for a burger at Dukes or Paradise Cove.  I know I couldn't have afforded that lifestyle when I was a student.  Not much fun being so close to all that and knowing that it is beyond my resources.  I do agree that there are great hiking and beach options close to school (the "free" options), but you have to have a car.  No one walks in LA - or Malibu.  Pepperdine's campus is as close to an on-land "island" as one can get.  You have to pass guard gates to get on and off.  It isn't like the rest of southern California, nor does it want to be.

Not saying you're right or wrong on any of this, but a buddy of mine went to college there.  His 2 friends had such a good time partying there when they visited, that they too moved out to live with him right off of campus.  It may be wack on campus, dunno never asked, but they have amazing parties right off of campus. 

54 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not saying you're right or wrong on any of this, but a buddy of mine went to college there.  His 2 friends had such a good time partying there when they visited, that they too moved out to live with him right off of campus.  It may be wack on campus, dunno never asked, but they have amazing parties right off of campus. 

Pretty sure Wendelprof is or was a professor there. 

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

How many scholarships do we have left to offer?

Oh, my bad, obligatory bash on all non-Catholics. Almost forgot. :)

We have 2 to give - 12 scholarship players currently, with Perkins not counting against the limit of 13.

If we're filling both, I'd take a stretch forward and a combo guard who can back up Collins and Nesbitt.