Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

2 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

I think that we are putting too fine a point on this issue.

Travis Ford has really recruited well and raised the talent level from that of *he who shall not be named*. That said, going to the NIT is a huge disappointment in any season (especially when Louisville and the Big East turned it down like SLU should have). let alone one where many thought this was the elusive second weekend team. So that colors my opinion a bit about Ford's game coaching....fairly or unfairly. 

I think it colors your opinion in an unfair direction. If you had understood the real meaning of the 34 day quarantine, you would not have been disappointed with Ford but instead you should have been angry about the quarantine rules. The people creating the Covid rules for SLU and ST. Louis decided to go at it in a much stricter way than just about anyone else. Remember the fiasco at Richmond when we refused to play them because our rules forbid it and theirs did not? Many teams played more games and under much less strict rules, but St. Louis had to be superior to all others. Well, the team paid dearly for this. Ford is not to blame.

This applies to your post above Willie, after the 34 days of quarantine we had a 50-50 chance of making it, the chance went against us and we stayed out. By the way our performance at the NIT was less than stellar, confirming that no we probably did not belong in the NCAA this year.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, willie said:

My unresearched guess is that about 30 teams make it just about every year. If you kick out the bottom 100 teams that would only make it they win their championship that leaves your 99% a tad high. Yes we could be a top 30 program every year. We should have made it 3 years in a row looking at the 4th. 

The top 30 programs don't make it every year. Take a look at the linked list, especially the current streaks on the top table. All the coaches fall into @3star_recruit's categorization. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Basketball_Tournament_consecutive_appearances

13 minutes ago, willie said:

My unresearched guess is that about 30 teams make it just about every year. If you kick out the bottom 100 teams that would only make it they win their championship that leaves your 99% a tad high. Yes we could be a top 30 program every year. We should have made it 3 years in a row looking at the 4th. 

Whether the number is 90 or 99%, that doesn't fundamentally change my point.  You're talking about first ballot Hall of Fame coaches and then everybody else.  Did you really think we would replace Majerus with another first ballot Hall of Fame coach?

16 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think it colors your opinion in an unfair direction. If you had understood the real meaning of the 34 day quarantine, you would not have been disappointed with Ford but instead you should have been angry about the quarantine rules. The people creating the Covid rules for SLU and ST. Louis decided to go at it in a much stricter way than just about anyone else. Remember the fiasco at Richmond when we refused to play them because our rules forbid it and theirs did not? Many teams played more games and under much less strict rules, but St. Louis had to be superior to all others. Well, the team paid dearly for this. Ford is not to blame.

This applies to your post above Willie, after the 34 days of quarantine we had a 50-50 chance of making it, the chance went against us and we stayed out. By the way our performance at the NIT was less than stellar, confirming that no we probably did not belong in the NCAA this year.

I was disappointed with all of it. As many of you know, I'm not the best at following or wanting to follow rules. 

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Whether the number is 90 or 99%, that doesn't fundamentally change my point.  You're talking about first ballot Hall of Fame coaches and then everybody else.  Did you really think we would replace Majerus with another first ballot Hall of Fame coach?

So your point is you have to be a hall of fame coach to make the tournament almost every year? Maybe it's the other way around. Make the tournament almost every year and you become a hall of fame coach. How many years has Xavier made the tournament? Who is their hall of famer? Is Lon Krueger a famer? How about Miller? 

14 minutes ago, willie said:

So your point is you have to be a hall of fame coach to make the tournament almost every year? Maybe it's the other way around. Make the tournament almost every year and you become a hall of fame coach. How many years has Xavier made the tournament? Who is their hall of famer? Is Lon Krueger a famer? How about Miller? 

Krueger should be a hall of famer.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Sean Miller was just let go for not winning enough the past three years despite cheating.  Lon Kruger has 674 wins so he may to wait for the 2nd ballot.   Xavier's coach has missed the dance three years in a row and is currently on the hot seat.  So yeah, you have to be a Hall of Fame coach to make the tournament almost every year.   And how many of those coaches are in mid-major conferences?  Hardly any.

35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm just going to put this right here:

Baylor had a COVID pause of 3 weeks.

They did. Ours was 50% longer plus we had 11 players. Imo that was as big as the long pause. 

Covid 19 hits and the entire country shuts down due to the seriousness of the disease. 

11 players on your favorite basketball team get it and it's no big deal, back to normal in 2-4 weeks. 

It doesn't take a lot of research to see that many times the affects of the disease leave you lethargic and out of energy for a lot longer than that, in fact sometimes months. 

Zink and 3star_recruit like this

47 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm just going to put this right here:

Baylor had a COVID pause of 3 weeks.

Agree but 21 days is not the same as 34 days, we had close to two additional weeks of quarantine, and for all I know Baylor is really much better than SLU.