Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

Also may get a stud that transfers after first year with the new transfer rules. 

That one year everybody can transfer and be immediately eligible rule is for this year only.  Going forward the old transfer rules will apply.  Now will the NCAA grant more immediately eligible waivers than in the past? .... very likely.

Fan Guy likes this

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

That one year everybody can transfer and be immediately eligible rule is for this year only.  Going forward the old transfer rules will apply.  Now will the NCAA grant more immediately eligible waivers than in the past? .... very likely.

This may be irrational, but I fear the NCAA will allow immediate transfers going forward. 

I was hoping we had a shot at Fatts Russell, only because his name makes me laugh.... Saw he committed to Maryland

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

This may be irrational, but I fear the NCAA will allow immediate transfers going forward. 

The NCAA has not yet formally approved this one-time transfer rule, but it is highly anticipated they will approve it at their upcoming April meeting.  Yes, this is just for this upcoming year (2021-2020).  The NCAA is 'working to create a long-term solution.You know they don't want to go back to the transfer approval program that they had in the past.  That program seemed to be very arbitrary and likely took up a lot of time.

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

I think the immediate transfer rule benefits a coach like Ford.  He's a good recruiter and maybe not the best teacher/developer of talent.  With immediate transfers you don't have to develop players just get free agents that fit your need.

Have not heard any speculation about Donovan Clay after that crystal ball prediction for SLU about a month ago. 

Was a preseason 2nd team MVC selection, but didn't quite live up to expectations this past season. His shooting percentages were not good, but otherwise seems to have a versatile game. Known as a good defender, contributes as a rebounder and chips in with assists, steals and blocks. He would seem like he could get some time as an A-10 4.  

What do we think about him as an option? 

i havent seen clay since high school and i saw him be totally dominated by liddell every time.   of course considering how they ended up, that should have been expected.   nevertheless, my "want" for clay is nothing.   

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i havent seen clay since high school and i saw him be totally dominated by liddell every time.   of course considering how they ended up, that should have been expected.   nevertheless, my "want" for clay is nothing.   

Liddell dominates the Big Ten. Not exactly a reasonable measuring stick

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

Have not heard any speculation about Donovan Clay after that crystal ball prediction for SLU about a month ago. 

Was a preseason 2nd team MVC selection, but didn't quite live up to expectations this past season. His shooting percentages were not good, but otherwise seems to have a versatile game. Known as a good defender, contributes as a rebounder and chips in with assists, steals and blocks. He would seem like he could get some time as an A-10 4.  

What do we think about him as an option? 

I'd prefer he stay at Valpo and get better. A slashing 6'7 forward should be dominating in the MVC.  As it stands, he'd be the most talented 12th man in Billikens history.  

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only reason we're even talking about Rashad Williams serving as a combo guard is because we haven't signed a combo guard yet.  Coach Ford isn't talking to Mason Madsen for nothing.  If we don't get him, it'll be somebody else.  There are scores of combo guards in the transfer portal. 

And we're way ahead of schedule when it comes to spring recruiting. We've already got two commitments. Typically we don't get our first spring recruit until May.

So if Williams is NOT a combo guard, what is he?  Maybe not the best available combo guard for our program or that is available, but isn't he still a combo guard?

I have no real idea of his skills but the reason I am talking about him, him being a combo guard, etc. is because I know that we have certain A10 teams (VCU) which like to swarm/press and having more than Yuri to handle the ball/dribble when needed is necessary.  Kwamain had McCall and Jett...  Yuri had JGood, Jacobs and Russell last year and now ______?  Williams and Nesbitt and someone else? And we have other teams (Davidson, St. Bona...) which force us into half court contests and having multiple outside shooters and a threat from all 5 spots is important.  Doesn't seem like Williams is afraid to shoot.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

So if Williams is NOT a combo guard, what is he?  Maybe not the best available combo guard for our program or that is available, but isn't he still a combo guard?

I have no real idea of his skills but the reason I am talking about him, him being a combo guard, etc. is because I know that we have certain A10 teams (VCU) which like to swarm/press and having more than Yuri to handle the ball/dribble when needed is necessary.  Kwamain had McCall and Jett...  Yuri had JGood, Jacobs and Russell last year and now ______?  Williams and Nesbitt and someone else? And we have other teams (Davidson, St. Bona...) which force us into half court contests and having multiple outside shooters and a threat from all 5 spots is important.  Doesn't seem like Williams is afraid to shoot.

Out of HS, he was considered a PG.  So you would assume, he has reasonably good ball handling skills.  https://247sports.com/Player/Rashad-Williams-45573193/

8 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think the immediate transfer rule benefits a coach like Ford.  He's a good recruiter and maybe not the best teacher/developer of talent.  With immediate transfers you don't have to develop players just get free agents that fit your need.

More back hand slams on our head coach - Coach Ford. You must really detest him. Not an original thought in that empty head of yours.  Unlike you, I think Ford has done a remarkable job of developing talent.  And while I have the highest respect for RM, he had alot of misses and gave up on players rather than develop them. RM made up for this by showing many, many players the door. Ford doesn’t. Yes, RM developed his own players (BC, KM, Jett, etc) but he did very little with Liddell and Lisch - both of whom would have flourished themselves under Brad rather than RM. 

In fact, I believe Coach Ford has been an exceptional developer of talent as I give him credit for Roby, Bess, Isabel, JGood and Perkins. And while RM would not have recruited the same players that Coach Ford recruited, I have no doubt that RM would have shown the door to Jacobs after 1 year - and yet he developed greatly under Ford. And if we are patient, we will see real development in Yuri, Hargrove and Jimerson - all 3 who are light years ahead of when they first set foot on campus. 
Like an asshxole, everyone has one - an opinion. But just like your ridiculous prediction that Ford will never win an NCAA  Tournament game, you are wrong on Ford’s ability to develop talent and you will soon be proven wrong on Ford’s ability to win an NCAA Tourney game. 

17 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

More back hand slams on our head coach - Coach Ford. You must really detest him. Not an original thought in that empty head of yours.  Unlike you, I think Ford has done a remarkable job of developing talent.  And while I have the highest respect for RM, he had alot of misses and gave up on players rather than develop them. RM made up for this by showing many, many players the door. Ford doesn’t. Yes, RM developed his own players (BC, KM, Jett, etc) but he did very little with Liddell and Lisch - both of whom would have flourished themselves under Brad rather than RM. 

In fact, I believe Coach Ford has been an exceptional developer of talent as I give him credit for Roby, Bess, Isabel, JGood and Perkins. And while RM would not have recruited the same players that Coach Ford recruited, I have no doubt that RM would have shown the door to Jacobs after 1 year - and yet he developed greatly under Ford. And if we are patient, we will see real development in Yuri, Hargrove and Jimerson - all 3 who are light years ahead of when they first set foot on campus. 
Like an asshxole, everyone has one - an opinion. But just like your ridiculous prediction that Ford will never win an NCAA  Tournament game, you are wrong on Ford’s ability to develop talent and you will soon be proven wrong on Ford’s ability to win an NCAA Tourney game. 

I think a good litmus test of whether Ford can develop talent will be the 3 current Bills you mention. Yuri-TJ-Jimerson. We all think the have a lot of ability. Can they become really productive players behind what they have currently done. I think the will but time will tell. 

dlarry, AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

3 minutes ago, willie said:

I think a good litmus test of whether Ford can develop talent will be the 3 current Bills you mention. Yuri-TJ-Jimerson. We all think theyhave a lot of ability. Can they become really productive players behind what they have currently done. I think they  will but time will tell. 

22 minutes ago, willie said:

I think a good litmus test of whether Ford can develop talent will be the 3 current Bills you mention. Yuri-TJ-Jimerson. We all think the have a lot of ability. Can they become really productive players behind what they have currently done. I think the will but time will tell. 

Why did you two @Clock_Towerleave out Thatch?  Just curious.  The potential is there to be much more than we have seen.

billiken_roy likes this

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Why did you two @Clock_Towerleave out Thatch?  Just curious.  The potential is there to be much more than we have seen.

No problem with including him but I would be reasonable happy with the Thatch I saw the last 10 games. He just needs more minutes. 

10 hours ago, willie said:

Yes, but as additional litmus tests. Cannot ignore the existing body of work these past 4 years. 
Can Ford recruit?  I’d say yes based on the talent brought in post Crews - and now with Okoro and Nesbit. 
Can Ford make the Tournament?  He already did and I think we had a good chance last year and were a lock this year but for COVID. 

Can Ford “in game” coach as good x’s and o’s guy? Again, I say yes. Anyone who can win with a 6’6” PF who cannot dribble, make a FT or shoot beyond 5 foot, who has wings who mostly slash/score but not shoot except for 1 Freshman who can shoot but not yet create his own shot, whose best scorer is a thin transfer who gets pushed around in tight half court games and whose PG somehow can still penetrate collapsing defenses which know exactly what we will do based upon what we can do and then make this worse when he doesn’t shoot, doesn’t draw a defender and struggles to finish - preferring to pass- when he penetrates the lane. Yeah, just putting the right combination of 5 guys on the floor is a major tactical decision and proof of being a good “in game” coach - much less substitutions. 

dennis_w likes this

32 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Because of his severe, permanent, life altering medical diagnosis. 

Agree. Thatch performed surprisingly well last season, far beyond my expectations. The question here is: has he reached the maximum level of performance he can have (the maximum level allowed by his disease and the medications he gets)?, or has he still got potential for additional improvement? The second question is how stable is his disease under the present level of exertion and medications? Is it possible that he may maintain or even increase his performance level and for how long? I have no answer for these questions and I do not think his medical team does either. I think Thatch is working in uncharted levels of performance and medical control of his disease at this time. I hope the best for Thatch next season and his future life. What he achieved this last season was extraordinary considering the nature of his disease. Kudos to him and my sincere hope his progress continues.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, but that doesn't mean that Ford can't develop him further.

HP, clock is setting us up with the excuse for when thatch doesnt develop it's not ford's fault.

Many of us didn't think Thatch would be the same player after being diagnosed with myopathy.  Some weren't sure he would be able to play at all.  Not only did he come back, he had his best season as a Billiken. This is 1) a great comeback story 2) yet more proof that players have developed under Coach Ford. 

If folks want to say that Coach gets no credit for players that develop but all the blame when they don't, then that's really the end of the discussion.

DOC, dennis_w, Zink and 6 others like this

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Many of us didn't think Thatch would be the same player after being diagnosed with myopathy.  Some weren't sure he would be able to play at all.  Not only did he come back, he had his best season as a Billiken. This is 1) a great comeback story 2) yet more proof that players have developed under Coach Ford. 

If folks want to say that Coach gets no credit for players that develop but all the blame when they don't, then that's really the end of the discussion.

I love this statement. Ford is also a shaman! Just one more check in the positive column!