Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the big fear with any player with a build like that is how they will hold up physically. The contact and even adding weight many times can take a heavy tool on their body.

That’s what I’m actually what I’m most concerned about. I’ve seen a lot of people saying he needs to put on 35-40lbs of muscle. First of all, that’s going to take some time. Second of all, putting on that much weight, in a fairly short amount of time, is inevitably going to take a toll on your body.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gassama is still not signed I hope he still has interest.  If coach Ford wants a freshman big then that is who I would like to sign.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Gassama is still not signed I hope he still has interest.  If coach Ford wants a freshman big then that is who I would like to sign.

I’m really interested to see what we do with these Schollies.

20 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Just based on their videos / phots Holmgren's skinniness reminds me of local kid Ryan Kalkbrenner who is a freshman at Creighton right now.  Kalkbrenner is listed at 7'0" 236 lbs and Holmgren is 7'1" 190 lbs.  That's a pretty big difference, but listed weights on player seem less accurate than heights plus Kalkbrennrr has a year on Holmgren.

Anyways, Kalkbrenner seems to be doing just fine on offense for Creighton & blocks a lot of shots, but doesn't get a ton of playing time.  Not sure if that is because of a stamina / strength issue banging inside or just because he is a freshman.

Another similar guy would be Bol Bol (Manute's son) who played at Oregon, but was mostly hurt and now is with the Denver Nuggets.

College teams aren't going to be scared off by lack of bulk for a guy with Holmgren's length and skill-set.  They are probably concerned about potential injury issues and him being about to play big minutes, but he's a game changer during the time is able to play.  I also suspect that college teams think Holmgren may be more than a one & done player because of his need to add strength for the NBA, so that makes him more valuable.

He is the number one recruit, right? I would assume the scouts are seeing a Ben Simmons clone, pg and not a center.

Biancardi was just on with Frank. Always a great guest. He talked about how things are really tough for high school prospects this year. Not only do you have the covid situation, but the upcoming transfer free agency situation is squeezing high school kids. A lot of college coaches are waiting to see how the transfer market shakes out in the spring, before extending offers. This group of h.s seniors has faced a lot of uncertainty that previous classes didn't have to deal with.  

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Biancardi was just on with Frank. Always a great guest. He talked about how things are really tough for high school prospects this year. Not only do you have the covid situation, but the upcoming transfer free agency situation is squeezing high school kids. A lot of college coaches are waiting to see how the transfer market shakes out in the spring, before extending offers. This group of h.s seniors has faced a lot of uncertainty that previous classes didn't have to deal with.  

makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

New interest, courtesy of @brianstl:

Zek Montgomery - G/F, 6-7, 185 - Louisville, KY (St. Louis Christian Academy, MO) - Twitter: @MontgomeryZek
Offers: La Salle, Ball State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa State, Memphis, Tulsa, New Mexico, Wyoming, Air Force, Murray State, Morehead State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Western Kentucky, Charlotte, Marshall, Toledo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, IUPUI, East Tennessee State, Georgia State, Southeastern Louisiana, North Dakota State, Niagara, UMass-Lowell, Lipscomb, Liberty.

Latest News: Montgomery has new interest from SLU. (3/4/21)

Scouting Report: Montgomery is a versatile guard/forward who scores on three levels and shows up in big games and big moments. He can defend almost anyone and is a strong rebounder at both ends. He runs the floor well, handles it in transition and the half court, and can finish in traffic. He's consistent from the mid-range and perimeter. He's unselfish, and a deceptively good passer. He transferred Fern Creek HS in Louisville to Nela Prep in CA in fall 2020, but transferred in December to STLCA, where he normally plays as a guard.

-He's always had high-level athleticism but is a late bloomer in terms of putting together a more complete skill set. His offers are all from HS and might be stale at this point. He has a fresh offer from a JUCO and a ton of high-level interest, but coaches seem to be holding out on offers for now. He's been awesome for STLCA in The Grind Session. Huge numbers.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

New interest, courtesy of @brianstl:

Zek Montgomery - G/F, 6-7, 185 - Louisville, KY (St. Louis Christian Academy, MO) - Twitter: @MontgomeryZek
Offers: La Salle, Ball State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa State, Memphis, Tulsa, New Mexico, Wyoming, Air Force, Murray State, Morehead State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Western Kentucky, Charlotte, Marshall, Toledo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Youngstown State, IUPUI, East Tennessee State, Georgia State, Southeastern Louisiana, North Dakota State, Niagara, UMass-Lowell, Lipscomb, Liberty.

Latest News: Montgomery has new interest from SLU. (3/4/21)

Scouting Report: Montgomery is a versatile guard/forward who scores on three levels and shows up in big games and big moments. He can defend almost anyone and is a strong rebounder at both ends. He runs the floor well, handles it in transition and the half court, and can finish in traffic. He's consistent from the mid-range and perimeter. He's unselfish, and a deceptively good passer. He transferred Fern Creek HS in Louisville to Nela Prep in CA in fall 2020, but transferred in December to STLCA, where he normally plays as a guard.

-He's always had high-level athleticism but is a late bloomer in terms of putting together a more complete skill set. His offers are all from HS and might be stale at this point. He has a fresh offer from a JUCO and a ton of high-level interest, but coaches seem to be holding out on offers for now. He's been awesome for STLCA in The Grind Session. Huge numbers.

-hopefully the kid has interest as sounds good from this and the STLCA coach doesn't get in the way 

46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Players like Montgomery who normally would have a slew of MM+ offers will be forced to play at weaker mid-majors if they don't want to go juco.  And they are definitely needed there.  That's where most of the kids in the transfer portal are coming from.

To me the struggles that high school players are going through in finding quality offers is an opportunity for SLU. Instead of holding on to scholarships and looking for transfer portal guys in the spring, we should be looking for high school kids that usually would end up in Power 6 schools. When everyone else zigs, you need to zag.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

To me the struggles that high school players are going through in finding quality offers is an opportunity for SLU. Instead of holding on to scholarships and looking for transfer portal guys in the spring, we should be looking for high school kids that usually would end up in Power 6 schools. When everyone else zigs, you need to zag.

Practically all of the top 200 kids have already been signed.  The exceptions are the 5 stars who are waiting on the best deal.  It's the late-blooming unranked kids and marginal 3 stars who are finding it difficult to get quality mid-major offers.  These are the guys who are typically at end of the rotation at a high mid-major their first couple of years.  Jimmy Bell and Markhi Strickland would have to gone to weaker mid-majors if they were in this class.

The opportunity here is to get the 13-16 ppg guy from the SoCON/Horizon/Summit/OVC/Sun Belt/CAA.  There will be more of these players in the portal than ever before and not enough high-major destinations.

22 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Respectfully I think based on the last few losses that coach Ford should try to find experience because I think the team needs it.

A ball handling experienced guard that can score would be my choice if one would like to play for SLU.

However if the bigger schools are winning all of those battles for experienced players then get the best high school players.

In your opinion is it better to sign 3 experienced players that can help out immediately or would you rather have 3 4 star high school players?

33 minutes ago, CBFan said:

A ball handling experienced guard that can score would be my choice if one would like to play for SLU.

yesterday slu72 said he was trying to get james hardin to come to the billikens   i think this would be an excellent player to bring in, even if only for one season snf would likely fill your above need requirement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:02 AM, billiken_roy said:

yesterday slu72 said he was trying to get james hardin to come to the billikens   i think this would be an excellent player to bring in, even if only for one season snf would likely fill your above need requirement.

Let's close the deal on this Hardin kid! He could be the best Billiken named Hardin since Greg Hardin from New York. The press guide that year for each player gave a capsule titled "Spoonhour's review." The first sentence of Spoon's review for Hardin said "Needs to make the transition to this level..."

billiken_roy likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about 6'9 forward Malevy Leons originally from the Netherlands and having a outstanding season at Mineral Area?  Averaging 18.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3 assists and almost 2 blocks for undefeated and second ranked Mineral Area.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Does anyone know anything about 6'9 forward Malevy Leons originally from the Netherlands and having a outstanding season at Mineral Area?  Averaging 18.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3 assists and almost 2 blocks for undefeated and second ranked Mineral Area.

He'd be a junior next season. Numbers are up from last season, when he averaged 13.1 PPG and 6.6 RPG. Slashline is .573/.265/.734, all down a bit from last season but shooting 57% on that volume is eye opening. Not a great three point shooter but good enough to keep defenses honest, with that size.

From Scott Burgess: "Super impressed with Mineral Area sophomore PF Malevy Leons. Mobile 4 can really shoot it with a free & easy stroke. Bouncy around the rim on both ends finishing slams & swatting shots."

From before the season:

"Leons is highly skilled, athletic and plays primarily on perimeter. He can create mismatches all over the court and shoot over anybody. He uses his length well and has a high IQ. Now standing at 6'10, Leons is looking to improve on a stellar freshman season. He is working on adding strength as he gets ready for the 4 year level.

He currently has offers from schools in the Missouri Valley, C-USA, Big Sky, MAC, Horizon and Sun Belt. Multiple HM schools are keeping in touch with Leons but haven't offered yet. Right now, he plans to wait until the Spring before making a decision. He hopes to be able to take several visits to schools to get a better feel for programs."

I don't buy the "plays primarily on the perimeter" line, given that he shoots 3.4 3-pointers per game and scores 19 points a game. He's getting to the rim and apparently is great in transition.

Coaches are following him on Twitter from NKU, East Carolina, St. John's, Georgia Southern, SEMO, Southern Miss, Utah Valley, Montana State, Jacksonville State, Chicago State, McNeese State, Evansville, Holy Cross, Towson, Creighton, Eastern Michigan, Youngstown State, UMass-Lowell, Murray State, UC-Riverside, Florida Atlantic, Nebraska, Morehead State, Stetson, Loyola-Chicago, Sam Houston State, Tulsa, South Carolina State, New Orleans, UIC, Tennessee-Martin, Fresno State, SIUC, South Dakota State, Cleveland State, Bethune-Cookman, Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, and Iona. So yeah, the whole gamut.

brianstl and AnkielBreakers like this

Now that Nesbitt is here opinions on how the 2 remaining scholarships are filled.

My feeling is to give a scholarship to Phillip Russell especially since there can be 14 scholarship players this season.  If Phillip is a good team member and student I hope he will get a free ride for next season.

I would like to see the other scholarship go to a freshman big like Gassama.

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Now that Nesbitt is here opinions on how the 2 remaining scholarships are filled.

My feeling is to give a scholarship to Phillip Russell especially since there can be 14 scholarship players this season.  If Phillip is a good team member and student I hope he will get a free ride for next season.

I would like to see the other scholarship go to a freshman big like Gassama.

Agree. Phillip being another STL kid I hope we keep him happy and wanting to stay here. I get the feeling he is content to be a role player on the home town team with kids he grew up playing with. But got no clue and that's just an opinion. 

10 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Not down on Phil --- just needs to show more.

I cannot disagree with your post but for 1 year with the extra scholarship why not do it for one year if Russell is a good team member and a student.

The extra scholarship means 1 more player on the bench and someone will be unhappy and if Russell is good with that role then reward him with a year of free tuition.

drkelsey55 likes this