Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Agree especially with some local kids.

Fletcher has not played for a while for that mess of a team Kentucky.

I wonder how happy Bradford is at K-State.   Bradford is starting and playing well but the team around him is not very good.

There are a lot of good high school players with offers out there but I believe older experienced players will have more of an impact.

Bradford isn't good enough for us. Doubt either would even leave imo

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ACE said:

I think the transfer market will be more important than the class of 2021.

This is purely hypothetical, but how would people feel about Goodwin and French’s scholarships going to Fletcher (if he decides to transfer) and McKissic (if he wants to play another season)?

9 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This is purely hypothetical, but how would people feel about Goodwin and French’s scholarships going to Fletcher (if he decides to transfer) and McKissic (if he wants to play another season)?

I really like the fit with McKissic.  He can play either guard position and is an all-conference defensive player.  He is very adept at creating his own shot, which would take some of the pressure off of Yuri if Perkins leaves after this year.

Fletcher would do very well as a 6'6 four man in the A-10.  He's strong, an explosive leaper, rebounds well and can score inside and out.  Unlike UK, he would be playing with a point guard who can put him in the best position to succeed.  Dontaie Allen's 23 point outburst against Mississippi State may have jeopardized any chance of Fletcher getting back into Cal's rotation.  Allen is the shooter that Kentucky needs to space the floor for their non-shooters to drive.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I really like the fit with McKissic.  He can play either guard position and is an all-conference defensive player.  He is very adept at creating his own shot, which would take some of the pressure off of Yuri if Perkins leaves after this year.

Fletcher would do very well as a 6'6 four man in the A-10.  He's strong, an explosive leaper, rebounds well and can score inside and out.  Unlike UK, he would be playing with a point guard who can put him in the best position to succeed.  Dontaie Allen's 23 point outburst against Mississippi State may have jeopardized any chance of Fletcher getting back into Cal's rotation.  Allen is the shooter that Kentucky needs to space the floor for their non-shooters to drive.

Great analysis 3 star thank you.

Donte Houston to Austin Peay:

To recap, SLU was one of his finalists out of high school in Texas, then on his commitment date he announced he'd be attending Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas for a prep year.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

To recap, SLU was one of his finalists out of high school in Texas, then on his commitment date he announced he'd be attending Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas for a prep year.

-do you think this is a big get for them?

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

.  Dontaie Allen's 23 point outburst against Mississippi State may have jeopardized any chance of Fletcher getting back into Cal's rotation.  

I believe Cal said Cam wouldn't play anymore this year regardless if he came back(which he did) or not. 

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's fascinating watching these big kids -- Donte Houston, Jeremiah Oden, Jason Jitoboh, Mickey Pearson -- go down the same road.  They pass up really good mid-major situations to "improve their stock", only to end up at worse mid-majors/sitting at a high major anyway.

19 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-do you think this is a big get for them?

Not necessarily. He might wind up being a very good player there, but he's not a future NBA player or anything. I think @3star_recruit called him (and I'm paraprhasing) an undersized face-up 4 with some limitations to his game. He might have found the right level for himself.

He had a few stronger offers along with SLU - Seton Hall, TCU, Houston - but I'm not sure how committable those were, or how long they were fresh - meaning they may have been conditional or only available for a moment in time and not representative of his options upon his original or later commitment dates. Middle Tennessee looked like a frontrunner for a bit, New Mexico and Murray State were in the mix, and I think Missouri State offered after he was at Sunrise. Then some directional Texas schools in CUSA and the Southland, he probably could've taken those whenever he wanted them.

I like the OVC. He's going to get good competition against Murray State and Belmont regularly. Austin Peay is good for an OVC Tournament run every once in a while, too.

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's fascinating watching these big kids -- Donte Houston, Jeremiah Oden, Jason Jitoboh, Mickey Pearson -- go down the same road.  They pass up really good mid-major situations to "improve their stock", only to end up at worse mid-majors/sitting at a high major anyway.

I forgot about Jitoolboh. Now in his second year, looks like he has done absolutely nothing in his career.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not necessarily. He might wind up being a very good player there, but he's not a future NBA player or anything. I think @3star_recruit called him (and I'm paraprhasing) an undersized face-up 4 with some limitations to his game. He might have found the right level for himself.

He had a few stronger offers along with SLU - Seton Hall, TCU, Houston - but I'm not sure how committable those were, or how long they were fresh - meaning they may have been conditional or only available for a moment in time and not representative of his options upon his original or later commitment dates. Middle Tennessee looked like a frontrunner for a bit, New Mexico and Murray State were in the mix, and I think Missouri State offered after he was at Sunrise. Then some directional Texas schools in CUSA and the Southland, he probably could've taken those whenever he wanted them.

I like the OVC. He's going to get good competition against Murray State and Belmont regularly. Austin Peay is good for an OVC Tournament run every once in a while, too.

-thanks, sorry for another question, but him not Being a Billiken is not something we should fret about?

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think playing alongside Yuri is one of the best selling points we have when making a pitch to an impact transfer. What scorer wouldn't want to play alongside Yuri? These type of pure point guards are pretty rare in today's game. 

BIG BILL FAN likes this

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-thanks, sorry for another question, but him not Being a Billiken is not something we should fret about?

Not at all. I'm not sure how much of a priority he was when he listed us as a finalist, but when he chose Sunrise, we appeared to part ways for good.

Look at the whole 2021 offer list as it stands now and don't get too hung up on anyone because the staff is focused on the spring. Maybe one of those guys has a big HS year and looks more appealing at that time but I expect the roster to be filled with transfers.

Had a SLU offer at one point (right after a nice performance at the EYBL event at SLU a couple years ago):

Scoonie Penn's son. OSU was the favorite for him for a long time but Scoonie took a job with the Grizzlies and his son took a prep year away from Columbus. His stock was also never high enough at the time for OSU fans to think much of him. He's also enrolled early because he graduated HS in May, and he's eligble to play as early as next week.

Sekou Gassama had 24 points (including 17 of 20 from the FT line) 8 rebounds going head to head with Tarris Reed Jr. last night in close game at Chaminade. (Reed had 15) Gassama had 16 and 10 in a recent game v Webster.  (DeSmet of course is playing its entire season without Keita, Redmond, Markway)

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, Coach314 said:

You were right to say keep an eye on STL Christian....i heard yesterday that Omarion Henry transferred there and reclassified.  And another Hazelwood Central player has transferred there...perhaps it's Cole Farrell.   

I just grabbed this post searching for Cole Farrell. I was looking at Hazelwood Central’s roster and wondering where everyone went. Cole Farrell is now at Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga, Jonathan Dunn is at Logan-Rogersville near Springfield, MO and has reclassified to 2022, and as discussed Jayden Nicholson is at St. Louis  Christian Academy (him and Sultan Adewale from the UK appear to be sophomores to keep an eye on). Not fun to have to deal with that sort of turnover.

Hey guys, I know it’s game day, and I know he’s not really a SLU recruit but @Pistol, @3star_recruitand if anybody else wants who wants to chime in, I keep seeing all these stories and tweets about this Chet Holmgren kid. I admittedly don’t know all that much about him, haven’t seen him play much, and I have no doubt that he’s incredibly talented, but is there any concern among recruiting circles that he’s so skinny, he looks like a skeleton with the skin still on? I mean he literally looks like he has no muscle. I’m not trying to body shame the kid at all, but he just looks like he would get MANHANDLED playing power conference basketball. Like I said, I don’t know much about him, so I don’t know if there are extenuating circumstances, I was just wondering what you guys thought about him.

37 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Hey guys, I know it’s game day, and I know he’s not really a SLU recruit but @Pistol, @3star_recruitand if anybody else wants who wants to chime in, I keep seeing all these stories and tweets about this Chet Holmgren kid. I admittedly don’t know all that much about him, haven’t seen him play much, and I have no doubt that he’s incredibly talented, but is there any concern among recruiting circles that he’s so skinny, he looks like a skeleton with the skin still on? I mean he literally looks like he has no muscle. I’m not trying to body shame the kid at all, but he just looks like he would get MANHANDLED playing power conference basketball. Like I said, I don’t know much about him, so I don’t know if there are extenuating circumstances, I was just wondering what you guys thought about him.

Just based on their videos / phots Holmgren's skinniness reminds me of local kid Ryan Kalkbrenner who is a freshman at Creighton right now.  Kalkbrenner is listed at 7'0" 236 lbs and Holmgren is 7'1" 190 lbs.  That's a pretty big difference, but listed weights on player seem less accurate than heights plus Kalkbrennrr has a year on Holmgren.

Anyways, Kalkbrenner seems to be doing just fine on offense for Creighton & blocks a lot of shots, but doesn't get a ton of playing time.  Not sure if that is because of a stamina / strength issue banging inside or just because he is a freshman.

Another similar guy would be Bol Bol (Manute's son) who played at Oregon, but was mostly hurt and now is with the Denver Nuggets.

College teams aren't going to be scared off by lack of bulk for a guy with Holmgren's length and skill-set.  They are probably concerned about potential injury issues and him being about to play big minutes, but he's a game changer during the time is able to play.  I also suspect that college teams think Holmgren may be more than a one & done player because of his need to add strength for the NBA, so that makes him more valuable.

Reinert310 likes this

56 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

He's an athletic 7 footer with a point guard handle, NBA range and 7' 6" wingspan.  How are you going to keep him from getting his 20 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks a game?  Because he's too good a rim protector to allow anything comparable to the guy he's guarding.

Reinert310 likes this

On 1/5/2021 at 9:48 AM, Pistol said:

Saw a film of the Vols 5 Star recruit Kennedy Chandler listed as No. 1 PG who plays for Sunrise Christian Academy. Very impressive.

TheChosenOne likes this

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Just based on their videos / phots Holmgren's skinniness reminds me of local kid Ryan Kalkbrenner who is a freshman at Creighton right now.  Kalkbrenner is listed at 7'0" 236 lbs and Holmgren is 7'1" 190 lbs.  That's a pretty big difference, but listed weights on player seem less accurate than heights plus Kalkbrennrr has a year on Holmgren.

Anyways, Kalkbrenner seems to be doing just fine on offense for Creighton & blocks a lot of shots, but doesn't get a ton of playing time.  Not sure if that is because of a stamina / strength issue banging inside or just because he is a freshman.

Another similar guy would be Bol Bol (Manute's son) who played at Oregon, but was mostly hurt and now is with the Denver Nuggets.

College teams aren't going to be scared off by lack of bulk for a guy with Holmgren's length and skill-set.  They are probably concerned about potential injury issues and him being about to play big minutes, but he's a game changer during the time is able to play.  I also suspect that college teams think Holmgren may be more than a one & done player because of his need to add strength for the NBA, so that makes him more valuable.

It's because he is a Freshman.

Creighton is an experienced, top 20 team. Their five starters play a lot of minutes. And, all five average double figures. Three of those five have attempted at least 120 three pointers each. 

Kalkbrenner has been a part of their eight, now nine player rotation all season. He is the only front court player that plays off of the bench, and, he gets their most bench minutes.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

He's an athletic 7 footer with a point guard handle, NBA range and 7' 6" wingspan.  How are you going to keep him from getting his 20 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks a game?  Because he's too good a rim protector to allow anything comparable to the guy he's guarding.

I think the big fear with any player with a build like that is how they will hold up physically. The contact and even adding weight many times can take a heavy tool on their body.