Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I haven't been following 2021 recruiting all that much, but are a lot of guys enrolling early at semester break this year?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

It does seem to be happening more and I'm not sure if this trend is part of something longer-term or has to do with the unique nature of this COVID season.

Dayton has a foreign HS'ish player enrolling at semester break and is eligible to play the rest of the year.  Why couldn't any US based high school player who graduates do the same? Yes this year is weird.  It will be 'weirder' next season when some seniors stick around for a 5th free season, at the same time that freshmen are incoming, and transfers can go move as they wish.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Dayton has a foreign HS'ish player enrolling at semester break and is eligible to play the rest of the year.  Why couldn't any US based high school player who graduates do the same? Yes this year is weird.  It will be 'weirder' next season when some seniors stick around for a 5th free season, at the same time that freshmen are incoming, and transfers can go move as they wish.

have you seen it in print anywhere the roster limits will be expanded?   it is my understanding that should a senior decide to stay and the coach wants him on the team then that spot is taken and an offered scholarship would then have to be taken back.  

what a mess. 

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

have you seen it in print anywhere the roster limits will be expanded?   it is my understanding that should a senior decide to stay and the coach wants him on the team then that spot is taken and an offered scholarship would then have to be taken back.  

what a mess. 

I'm pretty sure seniors can come back and it won't count against scholarship limits. Almost certain that Ford was quoted saying that somewhere.

Just now, kshoe said:

I'm pretty sure seniors can come back and it won't count against scholarship limits. Almost certain that Ford was quoted saying that somewhere.

I think this is the only way to handle the scholarship limit. Even though everyone gets an extra year of eligibility, make it 13 + current seniors for next season, then return to 13 the following year.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think this is the only way to handle the scholarship limit. Even though everyone gets an extra year of eligibility, make it 13 + current seniors for next season, then return to 13 the following year.

I think the limit has to "float" until the last of the players eligible for the "free" year of eligibility are done — four or five years.  Otherwise, at some point there won't be enough scholarships available for much of a graduating class.

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think the limit has to "float" until the last of the players eligible for the "free" year of eligibility are done — four or five years.  Otherwise, at some point there won't be enough scholarships available for much of a graduating class.

So basically a bonus class every year for 4 years? As in, the senior class will not count against limits until 2025-2026?

I guess the math is easier if every school were only taking incoming HS seniors. It gets messy with transfers, though.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So basically a bonus class every year for 4 years? As in, the senior class will not count against limits until 2025-2026?

I guess the math is easier if every school were only taking incoming HS seniors. It gets messy with transfers, though.

I think each school would have to set its own temporary limit (for those four years) based on the number of 2021 seniors returning for 2021-22.  So, for the Billikens, if Perkins decided to return but French and Goodwin decided they're done with college, then SLU should have 14 scholarships to offer until 2024-2025.   If all three were to return, then they should have 16 scholarships to offer during that time.  Or if players transfer to another school (after this season), the school should be able to replace those scholarships, within their established four-year limit.  (The reason I say five years could be possible for this exceptional period is that some players may redshirt.)  If none of the seniors chooses to return, then the school must stick with 13 scholarships.

Now, that might present a problem down the line if several members of lower classes were to take advantage of the extra year.  Should the four-year limit be based on the number of players in a fifth year?

18 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think each school would have to set its own temporary limit (for those four years) based on the number of 2021 seniors returning for 2021-22.  So, for the Billikens, if Perkins decided to return but French and Goodwin decided they're done with college, then SLU should have 14 scholarships to offer until 2024-2025.   If all three were to return, then they should have 16 scholarships to offer during that time.  Or if players transfer to another school (after this season), the school should be able to replace those scholarships, within their established four-year limit.  (The reason I say five years could be possible for this exceptional period is that some players may redshirt.)  If none of the seniors chooses to return, then the school must stick with 13 scholarships.

First, I agree that the Bills could have 16 scholarship players next season.  And we have three openings for new playes, no matter what the 3 seniors decide. 

But if any of the 3 seniors transfers, I don't think our number remains at 16. It would go down by one for each departure.  We can't replace them on the 16 with another senior transfer, who brings along his free season.   Any incoming transferring senior would count against the 13 limit. 

And does Okoro get the free year, even though he is sitting it out?  I don't think so, but I am not sure.  Does he have two or three years of eligibility left?

You need a bookkeeper to keep this straight.  A team like Dayton with 5 seniors could have 18 on the bench.

With five years of players on rosters next season, incoming freshmen had better be good, or they are looking at serious bench time.  IF all 3 Billiken seniors return, an incoming freshman (or transfer) would have to be pretty good to get minutes.  We don't have enough minutes for this season's team.

you know we can talk about what we think it should be but bottom line is what does the ncaa plan to do?  i would like to see the ncaa's position which i havent seen.   

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you know we can talk about what we think it should be but bottom line is what does the ncaa plan to do?  i would like to see the ncaa's position which i havent seen.   

Google it.  There are tons of articles.  This is the first one that came up.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2020-10-14/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-basketball-ncaa-extra-year-of-eligibility-new-transfer-rule

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

-that is a pretty good article with quotes from an unnamed NCAA spokesman, do with that what you want,  thanks

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thanks. That is a good article. While it sounds nice in theory to have rosters of 15 or 16 guys, I'm not sure coaches really want that many scholarship players, most of which think they should be on the court. It's kind of nice having an Okoro type situation where a scholarship is used but you don't have to worry about playing time.

Crewsorlose likes this

2 minutes ago, meerkat said:

Anybody know anything about this guy?

6’10 2021 Sam Thompson of Francis Howell just scored 55 PTS in a 73-61 victory over O’Fallon-Christian. Sam dominated the low post, hit a bunch of 3-pointers, rebounded, blocked shots and handled the ball to lead his short handed team to the victory. A magnificent performance. ⭐https://t.co/BgbDArQmAf

Earl is impressed.

42 minutes ago, meerkat said:

Thompson is a big body who until this season had mixed results on their interior and prefers to float around the perimeter.  Even in this game he racked up a bunch of points against a Class 2 school whose tallest starter was 6'2. 

But props to the big guy.  Scoring 55 points is a noteworthy accomplishment even against YMCA competition.  Hope it's the breakthrough he needs to bring it against stiffer resistance.  If he doesn't, I hope he goes low major, toughens up, tears it up and transfers to SLU.

If you want to see how he scores, here's some video:

meerkat likes this

On 12/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, billiken_roy said:

The NCAA's position? WHDTM  What helps Duke the most. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Thompson is a big body who until this season had mixed results on their interior and prefers to float around the perimeter.  Even in this game he racked up a bunch of points against a Class 2 school whose tallest starter was 6'2. 

But props to the big guy.  Scoring 55 points is a noteworthy accomplishment even against YMCA competition.  Hope it's the breakthrough he needs to bring it against stiffer resistance.  If he doesn't, I hope he goes low major, toughens up, tears it up and transfers to SLU.

If you want to see how he scores, here's some video:

i saw he had 6 3's in the game...that's pretty good for a 6'10" guy at any level...

On 12/31/2020 at 1:31 PM, DOC said:

Pistol, do you keep a running total of "offers" that SLU has out for each class?   

Yes, everything is in this thread pinned to the top of this message board:

I'm currently several weeks behind but will be doing a full update this week.

DOC likes this

18 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-with the expectation that two will be leaving the team this thread, or at least the subject, again becomes important

Yep. Should be a fun spring period.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

I think the transfer market will be more important than the class of 2021.

Agree especially with some local kids.

Fletcher has not played for a while for that mess of a team Kentucky.

I wonder how happy Bradford is at K-State.   Bradford is starting and playing well but the team around him is not very good.

There are a lot of good high school players with offers out there but I believe older experienced players will have more of an impact.