Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever may actually come out of this rule change and its effect upon SLU is just speculation at this time, a lot of different things can and probably will happen in due time. We have not started the season yet and this season will emphatically NOT be your normal season with well defined times and opponents. I think there may well be a lot of unpredictable turns and outcomes during this season and this unpredictability will affect most if not all teams playing.

HoosierPal likes this

8 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Whatever may actually come out of this rule change and its effect upon SLU is just speculation at this time, a lot of different things can and probably will happen in due time. We have not started the season yet and this season will emphatically NOT be your normal season with well defined times and opponents. I think there may well be a lot of unpredictable turns and outcomes during this season and this unpredictability will affect most if not all teams playing.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

They will be juniors.  The 5th year is optional.

no, they will still have 3 years of eligibility left, after this season (if they choose) which means they will still be sophomores next year...

The NCAA Division I Council has officially approved a ruling that will allow all collegiate athletes involved in winter sports to get an extra year of eligibility, according to Stadium’s Brett McMurphy.

Essentially, due to the oddity of this upcoming season because of COVID-19, this season does not count against anyone’s eligibility.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, brianstl said:

A couple of international players to keep an eye on for the interest list.....

Tate has started to follow Jeffery Ofoedu a 6'5 SG from Australia on Twitter.  Ofoedu currently has an offer from UC Riverside.

Giacoletti has started to follow Lamin Sabally a 6'6 SG from Germany. Sabally currently holds offers from UTSA and Northern Arizona.

Ofoedu just signed with UC-Riverside (which is discussing dropping from D-I or shutting down its athletic program).

Sabally signed with Texas-San Antonio.

Both decided to sign with their earliest offers rather than play out the season.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ofoedu just signed with UC-Riverside (which is discussing dropping from D-I or shutting down its athletic program).

Sabally signed with Texas-San Antonio.

Both decided to sign with their earliest offers rather than play out the season.

@Pistol obviously everyone, including incoming recruits, is aware of the decision to give everyone an extra year of eligibility. How much do you think that is impacting, and will continue to impact, recruits’ decisions for the rest of the year? Do you think kids are worried about playing time? Do you think some kids may sign with smaller schools to get more immediate playing time, knowing the free transfer rule is on the horizon (if not already here).  Just wondering what kind of feel you have for the ‘20-‘21 recruiting landscape on the whole, in this weird year.

46 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

@Pistol obviously everyone, including incoming recruits, is aware of the decision to give everyone an extra year of eligibility. How much do you think that is impacting, and will continue to impact, recruits’ decisions for the rest of the year? Do you think kids are worried about playing time? Do you think some kids may sign with smaller schools to get more immediate playing time, knowing the free transfer rule is on the horizon (if not already here).  Just wondering what kind of feel you have for the ‘20-‘21 recruiting landscape on the whole, in this weird year.

I'm still trying to get a better understanding of it and I don't have commitment data in front of me to back it up, but it does appear that the 2021 class is committing earlier overall than previous classes. In recent years, we've seen more recruits wait until spring because of transfers, early departures, coaching changes, etc. That appears to be reversing at least a little bit.

I think this class is coming to terms with the fact that they might never get the visits they want to take. They're doing as much as possible virtually, and coaching staffs are also being very proactive about calling as many players, parents, and coaches as possible. So they might not get the visits but they're communicating more overall, it seems.

I think you make a good point about taking the best offer right now with the knowledge that transfers will be easier moving forward. That has to make it a little easier to commit despite other uncertainties.

This remains to be seen, but I think a lot more players will opt for a postgrad/prep year to keep playing and developing while college rosters might be a little more competitive for playing time.

For what it's worth, JGood in his interview said he'd see how the season went before deciding about a 5th year. He did give some indication, though, that he wasn't ruling out a return. My guess would be if the Covid really shoots this season all to hell, he'd likely return. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I'm still trying to get a better understanding of it and I don't have commitment data in front of me to back it up, but it does appear that the 2021 class is committing earlier overall than previous classes. In recent years, we've seen more recruits wait until spring because of transfers, early departures, coaching changes, etc. That appears to be reversing at least a little bit.

I think this class is coming to terms with the fact that they might never get the visits they want to take. They're doing as much as possible virtually, and coaching staffs are also being very proactive about calling as many players, parents, and coaches as possible. So they might not get the visits but they're communicating more overall, it seems.

I think you make a good point about taking the best offer right now with the knowledge that transfers will be easier moving forward. That has to make it a little easier to commit despite other uncertainties.

This remains to be seen, but I think a lot more players will opt for a postgrad/prep year to keep playing and developing while college rosters might be a little more competitive for playing time.

Out of reactions, but great post. Thanks, as always Pistol

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

For what it's worth, JGood in his interview said he'd see how the season went before deciding about a 5th year. He did give some indication, though, that he wasn't ruling out a return. My guess would be if the Covid really shoots this season all to hell, he'd likely return. 

Slu72 yours is the most rose colored glass interpretation of what he said in the radio. He talked about the NBA and foreign play as his primary choices, and then said "If all else fails" (this is how he phrased it), he will come back to SLU for a 5th year. No he is not ruling out a return to SLU, but most certainly he will prefer to go professional if at all possible.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Slu72 yours is the most rose colored glass interpretation of what he said in the radio. He talked about the NBA and foreign play as his primary choices, and then said "If all else fails" (this is how he phrased it), he will come back to SLU for a 5th year. No he is not ruling out a return to SLU, but most certainly he will prefer to go professional if at all possible.

You left out the part that he was sad his parents would not be able to see him finish his Sr season. Gonna be hard for them to do that if he's playing in Ukraine or Slovenia for example. I also added if this season gets shot all to hell. I fully expect he'd declare for the NBA, but that's not going to be an easy trip if he doesn't have this season as a resume. And the glasses aren't rose colored they're Billiken Blue tinted. 

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

Looks like it's now official they won't get their visits 

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-recruiting-dead-period-extended-April-15-2021-all-Division-I-sports-COVID-19-154997658/

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

He wants to transfer at the semester - correct?

21 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He wants to transfer at the semester - correct?

Seems like it.  No indication of SLU interest but we'd take a former 4 star right?

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Do we have a schollie available?

Not unless we have someone leave.  I just like to add to wild speculation on how we want all transfers of note.

cheeseman likes this

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

SLU was a finalist for Houston the first time around. Then he went to prep school instead of picking any of the schools he listed.

I understand you have to be a bit arrogant to be a high level athlete but there's a fine line between arrogance and delusion.  If you're an athletic face up 4 with limited range, that's what you are.  Holding out for a high major offer when those schools have better options is a waste of time.

Pistol likes this