Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, hmart23 said:

I think it’s important to remember that every recruit chooses a school for different reasons. I think Kern has a better chance to be an impact player at VCU sooner. We’re deep at the wing and he could think he doesn’t have a chance to get time until he’s a junior or senior. 

Completely agree, it is a shame to not sign the local guys but I think Kern would play behind Hargrove and possibly Strickland so there were better opportunities to play immediately for VCU that looked really bad at the end of the season.

I like our guard and wing positions so I hope Gassama commits and another big.  If French leaves after this season he needs to be replaced even though Okoro will play that season.

hmart23 likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I have a feeling that Perkins may opt to stay as well. Unless, he really blows up this year and averages 20+ ppg. Which is possible. 

Makes sense. I know this is probably stating the obvious, but I’m sure Coach Ford has already had conversations with Has, JGood and Perk and already has some idea where those guys stand in terms of coming back. Obviously, it’s subject to change, if 1 of them totally blows up and has an all-American type season, or 1 of them has a subpar season, but I’d be shocked if the coaching staff hadn’t already gotten a pretty good idea of where those guys are at. I’m not sure how much of that is reflected in our 2021 recruiting so far, but I’m sure it’s a factor. Like many others have said, I have faith in coach Ford. But it will definitely be interesting to see where things end up.

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Makes sense. I know this is probably stating the obvious, but I’m sure Coach Ford has already had conversations with Has, JGood and Perk and already has some idea where those guys stand in terms of coming back. Obviously, it’s subject to change, if 1 of them totally blows up and has an all-American type season, or 1 of them has a subpar season, but I’d be shocked if the coaching staff hadn’t already gotten a pretty good idea of where those guys are at. I’m not sure how much of that is reflected in our 2021 recruiting so far, but I’m sure it’s a factor. Like many others have said, I have faith in coach Ford. But it will definitely be interesting to see where things end up.

My take on our seniors: if the season goes south due to Covid they may all opt to return. If we get it in and go to the dance, I think Has and JGood may test the waters, if Perkins gets positive reports he might follow. I also think if we make a run but come up say short of the elite 8, JGood might think it’s worth another go at the brass ring and bring Perk with him. Just don’t know about Has, although I think he’s got the toughest road to the NBA. No doubt, even foreign money would be tempting to these guys, but the Covid situation around the world may well come into play, ie do you want to be stuck in Europe if your parents get sick? So many factors come into play. But the comfort zone of SLU might look really good to these guys. 

In Ford I trust. Not too sure if we need three grad transfers for next year but I'd like to see a shooter, and a big, at least.  I am okay with the point if Russell is good enough to back up Collins.  I am intrigued with Ajiboye.  

Just like Powell to NC A&T, Blackmon to Grand Canyon ... wow!

Frank talked a little big about the Hochman article about Kern today. He reiterated that SLU was recruiting Kern pretty heavy and then stopped. VCU never stopped going after him. SLU really likes Kern, but is looking to add some players that can make an immediate impact since they may have to replace Goodwin, French and Perkins. He still thinks they will go the grad transfer route and pick up players that have shown they can score at the college level since they may have to replace 45-50 points a game that the trio of seniors should bring this year.

One interesting nugget he mentioned was that if Goodwin stayed in the draft, there was talk of Nesbitt joining the team this season to replace him. Apparently there was interest in both sides of that happening, but JGood decided to come back.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank talked a little big about the Hochman article about Kern today. He reiterated that SLU was recruiting Kern pretty heavy and then stopped. VCU never stopped going after him. SLU really likes Kern, but is looking to add some players that can make an immediate impact since they may have to replace Goodwin, French and Perkins. He still thinks they will go the grad transfer route and pick up players that have shown they can score at the college level since they may have to replace 45-50 points a game that the trio of seniors should bring this year.

One interesting nugget he mentioned was that if Goodwin stayed in the draft, there was talk of Nesbitt joining the team this season to replace him. Apparently there was interest in both sides of that happening, but JGood decided to come back.

With free agency coming to college basketball, we don't need to limit our recruiting targets to just grad transfers to get instant help from experienced players.

Grad transfer vs high school recruit is ultimately about how far you want to fall back the next season.  There aren't any high school recruits we're in on who could even replace 70% of Goodwin's production and utility.  So you bring in a grad transfer as a stop gap.  The combination of a grad transfer or regular transfer + Thatch should be enough to get the job done.

I think Ford is seeing the landscape and thinking a few steps ahead of us and possibly other coaches.  With the free year of eligibility that was given, there will be a ton, much more than normal, of grad transfer types.  If we have a good year and put ourselves on the map with a lot of folks, we could be in line to bring in some very good players that feel their current teams isn't going anywhere or that their current team is too crowded at their position.  If Ford is reading the tea leaves properly here, he may be making a very smart decision about where to get our new players next season.

I don't really buy the premise that we need to bring in transfers or grad transfers to replace the offensive production of French, Goodwin, & Perkins next year or that we'll be lacking experience next year.

1. These guys can all elect to return for another season under the COVID rules, correct?  I thought I read somewhere that French is very unlikely to come back, but Goodwin & Perkins haven't ruled it out.

2. Okoro is the French replacement, right?  Between him, Bell and Linssen I feel like our inside depth will be better than it ahs been in the recent past and that doesn't leave a lot of PT for another big.

3. I think we have guys on the roster capable of picking up the slack with scoring.  As mentioned above, Okoro will fill in some of French's production.  I expect Jimerson to score a lot.  Jacobs could see a bigger offensive role as well as Hargrove, Thatch or Yuri.  Goodwin & French took a lot of shots, but were actually not very efficient scorers because they aren't good 3pt or FT shooters.  Losing Perkins is the biggest offensive blow.  I suspect that losing French & Goodwin will be a much better blow to the defense than the offense.

4. While we won't have a lot of seniors (Linssen and Jacobs), Yuri, Hargrove, Bell, Okoro, Thatch, etc. will all be juniors.  Therefore, we won't be severely lacking experience.

I suspect that it was more about the crowded wing position and not necessarily being about to offer Kern a lot of playing time right away especially if Goodwin and/or Perkins return than anything else.

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't really buy the premise that we need to bring in transfers or grad transfers to replace the offensive production of French, Goodwin, & Perkins next year or that we'll be lacking experience next year.

1. These guys can all elect to return for another season under the COVID rules, correct?  I thought I read somewhere that French is very unlikely to come back, but Goodwin & Perkins haven't ruled it out.

2. Okoro is the French replacement, right?  Between him, Bell and Linssen I feel like our inside depth will be better than it ahs been in the recent past and that doesn't leave a lot of PT for another big.

3. I think we have guys on the roster capable of picking up the slack with scoring.  As mentioned above, Okoro will fill in some of French's production.  I expect Jimerson to score a lot.  Jacobs could see a bigger offensive role as well as Hargrove, Thatch or Yuri.  Goodwin & French took a lot of shots, but were actually not very efficient scorers because they aren't good 3pt or FT shooters.  Losing Perkins is the biggest offensive blow.  I suspect that losing French & Goodwin will be a much better blow to the defense than the offense.

4. While we won't have a lot of seniors (Linssen and Jacobs), Yuri, Hargrove, Bell, Okoro, Thatch, etc. will all be juniors.  Therefore, we won't be severely lacking experience.

I suspect that it was more about the crowded wing position and not necessarily being about to offer Kern a lot of playing time right away especially if Goodwin and/or Perkins return than anything else.

You may not "need" to bring in the next Javon Bess-level transfer but if you have the opportunity, why wouldn't you?  Even Gonzaga regularly includes one transfer per recruiting class.

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I see where the "replacement" term comes from, but Okoro is unproven to this point.  we're hoping he can come in, but what if he doesnt?

I like where the team is next year without the trio, but you could find a GT that is better than someone of the players we think will start next year

17 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

You may not "need" to bring in the next Javon Bess-level transfer but if you have the opportunity, why wouldn't you?  Even Gonzaga regularly includes one transfer per recruiting class.

I mean that's pretty obvious, right?  If you can bring in a junior / senior who is going to be one of the best players on your team you do it.

I was just pointing out that it is not totally necessary / probably not the only reason we moved on the Kern.

TJHawk likes this

With the transfer rules being relaxed I can see a few of these lost St. Louis kids opting to come home at some future time. For example, I read a report on UK and how they are counting their new FR to help them. Fletcher wasn't mentioned as one of the key recruits. Now Calipari doesn't care who he recruits over and if he brings in a transfer or two that's going to slide Fletcher further down the bench, he might think a little home cooking might be in order. Can't say the same for Love, because it looks like UNC has him pegged to start from day one. 

Tyty Washington to Creighton. We weren't one of his finalists. Just closing the loop. (Although you'll be happy to know Illinois was the runner-up and of course they felt confident they were getting him.)

On 11/12/2020 at 7:18 AM, Box and Won said:

I look forward to getting torched by Kern a few times a year for the next four years.

Two reasons that’s not going to happen:

1. Thatch

2 Hargrove 

Thatch is the next Javon Bess on D; Hargrove was already guarding the nation’s player of the year as a freshman...high ceiling on both O and D due to his freak athleticism and positive attitude.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:36 PM, RUBillsFan said:

no, Yuri, Hargrove, Bell, and Thatch will still be sophomores next year...

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

no, Yuri, Hargrove, Bell, and Thatch will still be sophomores next year...

I think he’s talking about after this season 

- unless you’re saying since this season doesn’t count 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I think he’s talking about after this season 

- unless you’re saying since this season doesn’t count 

after this season, they will still be sophomores...this year doesn't count....this is why the coaches are looking more at transfers, they obviously don't like the idea of having 5 or 6 freshman, eligibility wise on the roster...