Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope we are recruiting Kern.  I hope our seniors don't come back, although Goodwin and Perkins might.  But totally ignoring a recruiting class just because of the pandemic seems shortsighted.  Out of the 13 guys on our roster I really doubt more than 1 or 2 end playing 5 years.

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Given all the uncertainty surrounding this season, a wait and see recruiting approach by the staff does make a lot of sense.  They can't even meet face-to-face with a recruit off campus or do any in-person scouting.  Brian called this about 2 months ago.

And the COVID extra year will make things even more interesting.  There are some very good senior players on some of the top teams in the country that aren't stars on those rosters.  Many of those players will need a landing spot if they want to take advantage of the extra year of eligibility because those top programs will find a way to get their top recruits on the roster.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Out of the 13 guys on our roster I really doubt more than 1 or 2 end playing 5 years.

I'm not sure what to think of the extra COVID year. 

Part of me thinks that most of these guys are going to play basketball professionally regardless.  Therefore, why would they delay earning a paycheck another year to get more education that they likely will not use / do not need for their future.  I know guys playing professionally overseas likely need a 2nd career after their playing days, but in most cases they'll coach basketball at some level and I do not believe a graduate degree is required for that.

Another part of me looks at the graduate transfer craze of the past several years and thinks that guys will perhaps stick around and / or transfer (likely able to play right away) and continue playing.  Kids that currently could go play professionally right away instead are doing an extra college year under the grad transfer rules.  Therefore, why would they not also play an extra year under the COVID rules.

A lot could depend on how this season goes, if guys feel like they missed out on something because the season is heavily truncated or their team has to miss a bunch of quarantine games, they may be more likely to come back.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

So this Nick Kern stuff was a bluff?

Same thing happened at 1 point with Nesbitt. Probably a problem with the photoshop edit, as @Pistolsaid.  Hopefully comes out today.

52 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Kern’s Top 4

3FCFC35D-76CE-40FD-BC50-C01346959B44.png

I wouldn’t mind signing Kern and a couple spring recruits/transfers. But I know a lot of things regarding roster are kinda up in the air right now.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:06 PM, NoCoBillsFan said:

Kern’s Top 4

3FCFC35D-76CE-40FD-BC50-C01346959B44.png

Let's see.  Does he want to play at home in front of family and friends with a stacked, winning team in an awesome facility?  Or 600 or 800 miles away, one school that never plays a game anywhere close to his home and another that is in the same conference but gets to St. Louis only once every two years.  Or he could play for a perennial bottom feeder, DePaul.  Seems like an easy decision (hopefully).

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Let's see.  Does he want to play at home in front of family and friends with a stacked, winning team in an awesome facility?  Or 600 or 800 miles away, one school that never plays a game anywhere close to his home and another that is in the same conference but gets to St. Louis only once every two years.  Or he could play for a perennial bottom feeder, DePaul.  Seems like an easy decision (hopefully).

ssshh, don't give him the answer, let him figure it out on his own. Jebbies luv that sht

SLU_Lax likes this

Dallas Howell committed to North Alabama over the weekend. SLU offered him as a 2020 recruit, then he blew out his knee and missed last summer and the beginning of his senior season. He signed with College of Southern Idaho with the plan of getting back to 100%, boosting his recruitment, and then going D-I after one JUCO year. Instead, he backed out and went to a prep school in Georgia this year. Oral Roberts and IUPUI were the other offers he got after doing so, and SLU does not appear to have reentered the mix. He's from Enterprise, Alabama, which is in the opposite corner of the state from UNA.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just mentioned on his show that things can change, but he does not think Kern will be committing to SLU. Sounds like he will be signing with someone this week.

You didn’t point out that Frank said we didn’t want him. That the offer was not good. We don’t think he can help the program. 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

You didn’t point out that Frank said we didn’t want him. That the offer was not good. We don’t think he can help the program. 

Frank C on SLU and Kern:   "I think they like him a lot, I think they believe he is a good player, but I don't think in the end they believe that he can come in and have an impact on the program."

Also, Hughes Jr is now 6'6".  He is a better shooter than his father was at his age, but not a better player.  He isn't going to be the defender his dad was.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank C on SLU :   "I think they like him a lot, I think they believe he is a good player, but I don't think in the end they believe that he can come in and have an impact on the program."

If he wants to walk on he’s more than welcome.