Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

23 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Perkins did not have any big D1 offers either and Perkins will probably be the leading scorer of the team.

Jimmy Bell did not have any big D1 offers either.

I agree we have to see the kid play.  I am hoping Russell is backing up Collins and earns that scholarship.  I am the optimist on every recruit so consider the source.

I’m with you @CBFan. I sometimes wonder what kind of offers Russell would’ve had if he were 4 or 5 inches taller. Obviously, he’s not 4 or 5 inches taller, so that’s totally hypothetical, but if he can compete on defense, take care of the ball as the PG and knock down shots like he did at Vashon, we’ll find minutes for him. I know that’s a lot of if’s, but I honestly believe the kid can and will contribute...at some point. And someday we’ll all be discussing what a steal it was to have Russell start his career as a walk-on. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m with you @CBFan. I sometimes wonder what kind of offers Russell would’ve had if he were 4 or 5 inches taller. Obviously, he’s not 4 or 5 inches taller, so that’s totally hypothetical, but if he can compete on defense, take care of the ball as the PG and knock down shots like he did at Vashon, we’ll find minutes for him. I know that’s a lot of if’s, but I honestly believe the kid can and will contribute...at some point. And someday we’ll all be discussing what a steal it was to have Russell start his career as a walk-on. 

My guess is that if he were 4-5 inches taller he’d have offers from schools in ever power conference. But the same could probably be said for just about every D1 guard that size. 

2 minutes ago, NH said:

My guess is that if he were 4-5 inches taller he’d have offers from schools in ever power conference. But the same could probably be said for just about every D1 guard that size. 

I totally agree. Just saying that he has the skill.

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Hopefully just like Perkins and Bell I feel both of those players are a steal.

Reinert310 likes this

Memphis picked up another Verbal, Sam Ayomide Onu, a 7-foot, 260-pound big man from the Phelps School (PA).  I think that puts Penny up to 17 on his 2021-22 roster, but you know, with the new rules coming, free transfer and free year, he may be ahead of the curve.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Memphis picked up another Verbal, Sam Ayomide Onu, a 7-foot, 260-pound big man from the Phelps School (PA).  I think that puts Penny up to 17 on his 2021-22 roster, but you know, with the new rules coming, free transfer and free year, he may be ahead of the curve.

I don't envision it working out that way, so it will be interesting to see what Memphis does to get to the scholarship limit. I assume the limit will still be 13, but guys who would have exhausted their eligibility, but decide to come back for an additional year won't count against that number. Looking at their roster, it doesn't appear that would apply to any of their players.

Why, as a parent, would you let your son sign with a coach that does this?  He's in his third season at Memphis.  So, Penny made a commitment to every one, or nearly every one, of those kids on his roster.  They were all, likely, 3 to 5 star recruits.  Now, he's going to sit back, evaluate the talent he has, and decide who to cut.  Is that really who you'd want you son playing for.  Each kid who signs with him is one injury or poor performance from being sent packing to make room for  a new recruit.

willie likes this

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Why, as a parent, would you let your son sign with a coach that does this?  He's in his third season at Memphis.  So, Penny made a commitment to every one, or nearly every one, of those kids on his roster.  They were all, likely, 3 to 5 star recruits.  Now, he's going to sit back, evaluate the talent he has, and decide who to cut.  Is that really who you'd want you son playing for.  Each kid who signs with him is one injury or poor performance from being sent packing to make room for  a new recruit.

I think the thinking is he will lose a couple to the pros

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Duke and Kentucky lose a couple of kids to the pros every year.  Even they don't do this.

He might be playing with fire here. Also, doesn't he have another high level guy who's still in decision mode. I think he's the buddy of that guy he picked up right before Nesbitt. Actually, I'm more concerned with where we stand with Nesbitt. Other than him, I think Travis will wait until the spring to see who's in the transfer portal, JUCO's, and any late rising SRs. 

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Likely he has kids who have already told him they are going pro early.  Or he is planning to push a kid or two out.  And all coaches do it.  How do you think Ford got Okoro?  

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Likely he has kids who have already told him they are going pro early.  Or he is planning to push a kid or two out.  And all coaches do it.  How do you think Ford got Okoro?  

I agree most coaches do this. (Not to the extreme Penny is doing it.)
Who did Ford push out to make room for Okoro? 
I can’t remember.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I agree most coaches do this. (Not to the extreme Penny is doing it.)
Who did Ford push out to make room for Okoro? 
I can’t remember.

Okoro was pushed out of Oregon.

9 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

I am assuming Okoro will not get an extra year for sitting out this year. I wonder if he will end up playing some since this is a “free” year from an eligibility standpoint. 

If there is a chance Okoro can be in playing shape this season, SLU should immediately work with Okoro to get the paperwork submitted for a waiver.

10 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

I am assuming Okoro will not get an extra year for sitting out this year. I wonder if he will end up playing some since this is a “free” year from an eligibility standpoint. 

I believe the new rule basically gives a player 6 years to play up to 5 years.  I'm assuming that Okoro might have 'three court years' still left.  But I could be wrong. 

Frank had a brief interview with Travis on the morning news. Ford smiled at the possibility of the 3 seniors sticking around. He said seniors will not count on future rosters. So you could have 13 players plus whatever senior who would want to play. I take this to mean it doesn't effect anyone but seniors. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

If there is a chance Okoro can be in playing shape this season, SLU should immediately work with Okoro to get the paperwork submitted for a waiver.

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

Okoro is taking the standard redshirt that all transfers used to take, like Javon Bess did. It benefits the program far more for him to get his body right this season and then contribute over the next two years. Rushing him to play shouldn’t be on the table. 

It's not really rushing him to play since he can play this season and it doesn't affect him still having 2 years of eligibility left. It's a free option to have if you get the waiver now. If he needs the time to heal up, then don't use him. But if he starts to feel great and there is a need for him on the court (French gets hurt or something) it sure would be nice to have him available for the second half of the season. 

brianstl likes this

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just said on the radio that he’s heard that French will probably be gone after this year. However, there is a chance Perkins and Goodwin stick around for one more.

If I had a free year to stay home and sort things out before heading out into the real world, I would have taken it.  But everybody's different.

7 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just said on the radio that he’s heard that French will probably be gone after this year. However, there is a chance Perkins and Goodwin stick around for one more.

Obviously this would be a good thing for our program but for basketball conversation doesn't this hurt the development of a TJ?   More transfers?