Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

Nesbitt turned out to be similar to Mickey Pearson with one major difference, he did not commit to SLU and then came up with a sob story about Granny. Nesbitt showed he thinks he is better than SLU up front, so fine, this is his decision. All the best to him. Let's turn the page now.

being commited vs prospect is a massive difference no matter how you slice it 

16 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

kshoe reminds us of a puzzle piece that seems to have been forgotten in strickland.    seems like he was touted as an extremely good athlete (like nesbitt) and i wouldnt be surprised if he steps in just fine for goodwin in 2021.   it isnt like the cupboard is bare.  

the way this thing swung in just a month really leaves a bad taste.  goodbye nesbitt.  we hardly knew ya.  might be the best thing that never happened.  

I also have a tendency to forget about Thatch. If healthy, we have another quality 2/3 over the next 3 years.

Everyone needs to relax. If he makes it big in the NBA, we'll still be able to invite him to shoot around in our gym wearing Billiken gear. I'm sure he still loves the hometown program. SLU can still get all the benefits of having an NBA player come out of the program without him actually coming out of the program.

CBFan, HoosierPal and Fan Guy like this

19 hours ago, dlarry said:

Nesbitt was recruited by tons of coaches and Penny was the only one who was “keeping it real” by telling him he could be one and done? 
So either Penny is full of it or every other coach who recruited him isn’t a good judge of NBA talent. Which one seems more likely?

I hope it works out for him and I hope he is a one and done guy. Losing a one and done guy doesn’t sting as much as losing a 4 year star.

I don't really wish ill of the kid, but I also hope he is not a one and done. I'm hoping for a mediocre, disappointing career - a bit like Scott Suggs. From our perspective, we don't want a bunch of stories of local players leaving town and thriving. Keep the focus on local players who stayed home and thrived at SLU - Perkins, Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove... that's what will help us in future local recruiting.

19 hours ago, kshoe said:

Last year at this time where were we. Strickland only right?

It'll be fine, but obviously we'd all feel a lot better if Kern were to come aboard. 

Agreed. Kern is a must get in my opinion. He's a perfect fit for SLU and it's vital they continue building on their relationship with Vashon.

19 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Considering they will be joining juniors Yuri, Thatch, Hargrove, Okoro and Bell and a sophomore JImerson -- yes.   Unlike our A10 counterparts, when our seniors graduate, we will have proven players ready to take over.

I guess it's unfair to expect a replacement for Goodwin. He's pretty much irreplaceable. 

I'm a greedy bastard though....I don't want to just be competitive in the A10, I want to dominate March Madness. It's also fair to expect progress from Yuri, Hargrove, Bell, and Jimmmerson but I'm not convinced Thatch will ever be back to 100% and I'm not convinced our 2020 class will pan out. I need to trust the process and let Ford do his thing. That's why he gets paid the big bucks and I'm on here whining like a little bitchh.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is true. If he thinks he is better off at Memphis, that is his decision. He did not act in bad faith to SLU.

He didn’t publicly act in bad faith...  but I think it’s pretty clear that he told certain people he was going to SLU. How many people, I’m not sure. But there was way too much smoke around him coming here for there to not have been some fire. 

8 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agreed. Kern is a must get in my opinion. He's a perfect fit for SLU and it's vital they continue building on their relationship with Vashon.

I guess it's unfair to expect a replacement for Goodwin. He's pretty much irreplaceable. 

I'm a greedy bastard though....I don't want to just be competitive in the A10, I want to dominate March Madness. It's also fair to expect progress from Yuri, Hargrove, Bell, and Jimmmerson but I'm not convinced Thatch will ever be back to 100% and I'm not convinced our 2020 class will pan out. I need to trust the process and let Ford do his thing. That's why he gets paid the big bucks and I'm on here whining like a little bitchh.

Do you need a replacement?  Maybe you change your offensive approach.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hits: Goodwin, Gordon, Yuri, Hargrove, Russell

Miss:Nesbitt

5/6

Except that’s nowhere near the full list of misses. He also missed in some capacity on Jeremiah Tilmon and Javon Pickett to name a few. Frank’s problem is he gets too excited and tries to break leans and commitments when he has very limited information. He’s a good cheerleader for the problem, but he’s not nearly as plugged in as some believe.

5 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Except that’s nowhere near the full list of misses. He also missed in some capacity on Jeremiah Tilmon and Javon Pickett to name a few. Frank’s problem is he gets too excited and tries to break leans and commitments when he has very limited information. He’s a good cheerleader for the problem, but he’s not nearly as plugged in as some believe.

I'm not going to knock Frank on covering a local player's recruitment.  There's a difference in saying a kid is currently visiting SLU and saying a kid's commitment is imminent.  A lot of the latter is us jumping to conclusions, not Frank.

slufanskip and JettFlight5 like this

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not going to knock Frank on covering a local player's recruitment.  There's a difference in saying a kid is currently visiting SLU and saying a kid's commitment is imminent.  A lot of the latter is us jumping to conclusions, not Frank.

Agreed. However, Frank is the one who jumps to conclusions. I love the guy, but he needs to know his lane.

33 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I would also say and have said the difference in the ones you mention is where they end up, Mizzou.  It happened with Watson too.  It almost seems like when the kid is committed to another school and decides to switch, Frank is given info that he reports that sounds like SLU is the option and all of them have ended up at Mizzou.  Frank is by far the most plugged in source we have.  He was saying Nesbitt sounded good to SLU for awhile and it seemed like a lot of national guys heard the same thing later as they had crystal balls and Rivals picks to us.  

BilliesBy40 likes this