Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

21 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

They are in the final four for Skyy Clark who is rumored to maybe reclassify to 2021 but crystal balls are going to Kentucky for him right now.  

Good point. He's apparently ready to make his decision, too. Said he was done taking calls. 10/22 is the decision date; not sure if reclassification will be announced at the same time or prior to that. Seems like Kentucky and UNC are in a stronger position than Memphis and UCLA.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Based on what I saw of Penny's motley crew last year, I will be shocked if three of them are good enough to go to the NBA after this season. Overseas maybe, but they could have gone to any school to accomplish that.  

I think two is probably the most we'll see, and I don't think anyone makes it into the first round. It seems likely one or two could really turn in a big year and jump up some lists. Beyond that, I think you're right. But then again, it doesn't matter where they end up if a few of them are already thinking they're going to jump. The scholarships would still free up.

1 hour ago, Wendelprof said:

Might it be that Nesbitt fancies himself as a "one and done" player.  Maybe he doesn't think SLU and the A-10 can provide the platform he needs to get that done but Memphis can.

Disregard original post. I was conflating this season and next season. But we're talking about Memphis and the AAC; not exactly a powerhouse in a power conference.

If you're a big guard, the chance to play for Penny Hardaway is a unique opportunity. I think Nesbitt would have been a great fit at SLU and that we would have been his best choice. However if I were a 17 year-old in his shoes and Penny Hardaway said he wanted to groom me to be a point guard, I can imagine that would be very tough to turn down.

kappy96 likes this

37 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

Might it be that Nesbitt fancies himself as a "one and done" player.  Maybe he doesn't think SLU and the A-10 can provide the platform he needs to get that done but Memphis can.

The A-10 is the higher rated conference this year.  Whether Penny can coach at this level is still an open question.  What Penny has going for him is that he's a cultural icon.  But the honeymoon period isn't going to last forever.

kmbilliken and JettFlight5 like this

Just crossed my mind with these comparisons between Penny and Nesbitt ... Penny stayed home to play for his hometown college in Memphis, turning down other big-time offers

Penny is now reaping the rewards of that decision (hometown legend, ran local AAU team, now head coach of his alma mater there)

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The A-10 is the higher rated conference this year.  Whether Penny can coach at this level is still an open question.  What Penny has going for him is that he's a cultural icon.  But the honeymoon period isn't going to last forever.

This year? Without UConn, that league will squander into obscurity

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think two is probably the most we'll see, and I don't think anyone makes it into the first round. It seems likely one or two could really turn in a big year and jump up some lists. Beyond that, I think you're right. But then again, it doesn't matter where they end up if a few of them are already thinking they're going to jump. The scholarships would still free up.

Yeah, the guys listed who are returning players certainly didn't jump off of the page as NBA players in their freshmen seasons, but maybe their plans on only being in college for two seasons is known. The other two, Cisse and Nolley, are new to the program. Cisse certainly fits the bill as a one and done type after reclassifying to 2020 (5 star top 15 recruit), so he would certainly be a guy you would think views himself as being one and done after already being courted by the G-League. With Nolley, I would note that he redshirted his first year at Virginia Tech due to delays in being cleared, so he will be three years out of high school. You also have Penny's kid on the roster on scholarship and presumably he could easily be moved to a walk-on if needed. The likelihood of three scholarships opening up without running anyone off certainly seems plausible.

As you noted in a previous post, despite the number of players, there is kind of a gap in their roster for a wing with the versatility of Nesbitt (especially if it is known that Nolley is only going to be in the program for one season).

I know quality of education wasn't really a factor in this decision but holy crap Memphis is dogsh*t!

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-memphis-3509

There is still time to fill those duffel bags. He hasn't officially signed yet.

This one stings, even if we saw it slipping away from us in recent days. Not only would he have been the ideal replacement for Goodwin, but we looked like the clear frontrunner just a couple weeks ago.

Zink likes this

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This one stings, even if we saw it slipping away from us in recent days. Not only would he have been the ideal replacement for Goodwin, but we looked like the clear frontrunner just a couple weeks ago.

Agree.

I’m glad for all the Memphis leaks the last few days.

If I would have gone in today super confident only to be blind sided I’d be even more upset.

almaman and willie like this

1 hour ago, NH said:

If you're a big guard, the chance to play for Penny Hardaway is a unique opportunity. I think Nesbitt would have been a great fit at SLU and that we would have been his best choice. However if I were a 17 year-old in his shoes and Penny Hardaway said he wanted to groom me to be a point guard, I can imagine that would be very tough to turn down.

What has Hardaway done to prove he can do anything?  He had a KY like team last year and he sucked.  He's a high level AAU coach that rolls out basketballs and says let's shoot around for practice.  He's already been exposed as a fraud.  Memphis offers nothing that SLU can't offer.

AGB91, cgeldmacher, Zink and 1 other like this

Just now, dlarry said:

Agree.

I’m glad for all the Memphis leaks the last few days.

If I would have gone in today super confident only to be blind sided I’d be even more upset.

It looks like he talked to a bunch of media members leading up to the decision. Their crystal ball picks all went to Memphis, and now he's getting a big wave of coverage that was already written up. I'm not sure how many players do this but it's the first time I remember seeing it with a guy we were a finalist for.

So I guess whenever you see crystal ball picks coming in or flipping in the days leading up to a decision, it's basically official.

Still stings. Wasn't Illinois, thankfully, but I really wanted him at SLU.

53 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'll still take him in a year or two when he's unhappy at Memphis or Penny gets fired

This is a valuable aspect of recruiting with instant transfers becoming all but official.

I think Nesbitt thinks he has 2-and-done kind of potential but if things don't work out down there, the door is never really closed until a player's eligibility is done.