Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The Blushing Southern Bell. They call that the “Pitino strategy.” Not to be confused with the “Pete Bell”

With the “Pete Bell” if Ricky Roe wants a tractor you get Ricky  Roe a tractor,   If Butch McRae wants a house and job for his mother you hook him up, and if Neon Boudeaux doesn’t want anything you get him a car anyway.

Now if I was given this choice when I was 18 I’d go with the Pitino. Mainly because my parents didn’t need a house, my mom already had a job, and we definitely didn’t need a tractor. I was however striking out a lot with the women so a Pitino supplied  hooker would have been awesome!

Is he known for quality procurement? I only know of his personal incident on a restaurant table. And I believe the woman in question still had amateur status.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

The Blushing Southern Bell. They call that the “Pitino strategy.” Not to be confused with the “Pete Bell”

With the “Pete Bell” if Ricky Roe wants a tractor you get Ricky  Roe a tractor,   If Butch McRae wants a house and job for his mother you hook him up, and if Neon Boudeaux doesn’t want anything you get him a car anyway.

Now if I was given this choice when I was 18 I’d go with the Pitino. Mainly because my parents didn’t need a house, my mom already had a job, and we definitely didn’t need a tractor. I was however striking out a lot with the women so a Pitino supplied  hooker would have been awesome!

Come on now. You Know Rick didn't know anything about that. 

22 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

I saw that Illinois hasn't had a St. Louis product since 1972. Seems hard to believe.

Yeah, this is totally wrong.  I think the most recent St. Louis metro area recruit Illinois has landed would be Mark Smith (Edwardsville) in 2017.  Malcolm Hill (Belleville East) in 2013 is another east side metro example from recent years.  I think the most recent St. Louis metro area on the MO side recruit would be Tyler Griffey (Vianney) in 2009.

I wonder if your 1972 source is specifically limiting to City of St. Louis recruits only which narrows things down fairly significantly and makes it not really that surprising.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yeah, this is totally wrong.  I think the most recent St. Louis metro area recruit Illinois has landed would be Mark Smith (Edwardsville) in 2017.  Malcolm Hill (Belleville East) in 2013 is another east side metro example from recent years.  I think the most recent St. Louis metro area on the MO side recruit would be Tyler Griffey (Vianney) in 2009.

I wonder if your 1972 source is specifically limiting to City of St. Louis recruits only which narrows things down fairly significantly and makes it not really that surprising.

Exactly. The article defines it as CITY of St. Louis. In a metro area of about 3 million they are being sly and focusing on just the 300k that live in the city,

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Griffey went to Lafayette. Same colors.

I also saw that 1972 thing and thought it was misleading. If it's City only, they're talking about Bill Morris from Beaumont. You guys have identified all the STL-area Illini players since 2000: Smith, Hill, Griffey, and Archibald. Before them, Illinois had Richard Keene (Collinsville), Steve Roth (Belleville East), Larry Smith (Alton), Tom Siegel (Belleville East), Bryan Leonard (Belleville East), Steve Lanter (Mascoutah), and then Morris.

51 minutes ago, almaman said:

must be a bummer to these big time recruits who have their count down drama deflated by leaks. Maybe he'll stay home to foil them.

I will have to find the football recruit (Verdis Brown was the recruit), but I remember Mizzou recruiting folks going to an announcement at some elementary school in the Chicago area because they were told the kid would be committing to Mizzou. Apparently he had told the coaching staff as much too, one of these soft verbals I guess. After he did a Q&A with the kids from the elementary school, he makes his announcement and I think committed to Illinois (I just know it wasn't Mizzou). Fairly humorous to think about the folks who drove all that way on a Friday evening to watch a high school kid answer questions from grade schoolers and then commit to a different program. So it can happen.

SLU_Lax and NextYearBill like this