Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, StlBills said:

Frank said bad news for Bills fans.  He spoke to someone close to Nesbitt and it doesn't sound good for SLU but he won't make any predictions.

Thank you for passing along, I prefer to go into Thurs with as low of expectations as possible.

With Memphis only offering on Aug. 3 this has Penny all over it

18 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Serious question, are there any rules around boosters communicating with recruits? And what constitutes a booster?

The NCAA's definition of booster is actually pretty broad. It's safe to say that many of the people commenting on Instagram posts, Tweeting at recruits, and otherwise interacting with them over social media are boosters. The NCAA has shown very little ability to police almost anything that goes on, let alone untold thousands of people interacting with thousands of recruits online. There aren't many instances where a school or recruit or booster is actually going to get in trouble for that.

Blue font, it comes down to whether the Nesbitt family wants Pappy’s on game day or Lambert’s cafe in Sikeston on their way to Memphis for a game.

I am hoping it’s Pappy’s.

Here's my proof.  Penny signed five star, I repeat five star, guard Boogie Ellis last year.  There are several articles that mention that he could will probably be the Tigers' starting point guard this year.

Article 1: For Memphis coach Penny Hardaway, who welcomed his team back to campus in June, Ellis’ heightened determination was evident almost immediately. “It’s noticeable,” Hardaway said. “I see a chip on Boogie and Lester (Quinones’) shoulders. The same thing with Damion (Baugh). Those three guys jumped out right away. But especially Boogie. You can see how hungry he is and how hard he’s working.”

Article 2:  While he logged more time at shooting guard as a freshman, Ellis is looking to play on the ball this season. And based on the strides he made over the summer, he could lock up the starting point guard spot.  “You’ll see a more aggressive Boogie Ellis this year,” Suzuki said. “They’re gonna see his ability to facilitate and get teammates shots when they want them in shooting pockets. He’s much stronger, more athletic and his confidence is higher. You’re gonna see him looking to score, especially to get to the basket, the free-throw line and get those free points when there’s time coming off the clock.” 

Article 3: This was from the Athletic and was behind a paywall, but it basically predicts, in the part that I could see, that Boogie Ellis will be the starting point guard.

So, this five star sophomore thinks he's going to be the point guard for the next three years, and Penny is telling Nesbitt that he's going to be the point guard.  Penny will tell these kids whatever they want to hear to get the highest ranked recruiting classes.  If young Jordan Nesbitt signs with Memphis and five star Boogie Ellis has a good year next year at the point, what do you think is going to happen to Nesbitt?

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The NCAA's definition of booster is actually pretty broad. It's safe to say that many of the people commenting on Instagram posts, Tweeting at recruits, and otherwise interacting with them over social media are boosters. The NCAA has shown very little ability to police almost anything that goes on, let alone untold thousands of people interacting with thousands of recruits online. There aren't many instances where a school or recruit or booster is actually going to get in trouble for that.

I was curious whether I would be considered a booster and bullet point #1 from your link (and I think only bullet point #1 which like you said makes the definition rather broad) answers that question. Trying to monitor social media would be a nightmare, is @BurtReynoldsMustache a SLU booster?

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I was curious whether I would be considered a booster and bullet point #1 from your link (and I think only bullet point #1 which like you said makes the definition rather broad) answers that question. Trying to monitor social media would be a nightmare, is @BurtReynoldsMustache a SLU booster?

Do you think bullet #2 also applies to us?

And yeah, monitoring social media seems like a nightmare. I think the only way it would result in an investigation is if someone were actually dumb enough to be making public offers to a player. And even then, you don't always know who people are.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Do you think bullet #2 also applies to us?

And yeah, monitoring social media seems like a nightmare. I think the only way it would result in an investigation is if someone were actually dumb enough to be making public offers to a player. And even then, you don't always know who people are.

Strong-@$$ offers are exempt. 

Pistol likes this

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only top 100 high school recruits we've gotten the entire history of this program have been right here at home.  I expect that to remain the case for at least the next few years.  Mid-majors have to put together many years of success to dramatically alter their national recruiting profile.  If Nesbitt goes elsewhere, save one scholly for a Bess-level transfer in the spring.  Two is overkill.

I was referring more to the 100-200 level of recruit.  The French, Conklin and Mitchell level recruit.  That said, I trust this staff's ability to judge talent.  They have proven to be able to find players that weren't properly valued by the recruiting services and their are more of those kids than in a normal year because of what happened to the summer recruiting circuit.  

I just don't want to see the staff fill a spot with a questionable fit because they feel they have to in the fall.  There will be more kids out there this coming spring than ever and the staff with get the chance to evaluate them over whatever kind of high school basketball season we end up having across the country.  Plus, I think SLU will be in a stronger position recruiting wise because the will have a better product to sell come after the results of this season.  

CBFan likes this

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I wasn't sure how exactly to interpret that one, but reading it again I think it might. "Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university's athletics programs."

The word that throws me off is "promoting".

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Here's my proof.  Penny signed five star, I repeat five star, guard Boogie Ellis last year.  There are several articles that mention that he could will probably be the Tigers' starting point guard this year.

Article 1: For Memphis coach Penny Hardaway, who welcomed his team back to campus in June, Ellis’ heightened determination was evident almost immediately. “It’s noticeable,” Hardaway said. “I see a chip on Boogie and Lester (Quinones’) shoulders. The same thing with Damion (Baugh). Those three guys jumped out right away. But especially Boogie. You can see how hungry he is and how hard he’s working.”

Article 2:  While he logged more time at shooting guard as a freshman, Ellis is looking to play on the ball this season. And based on the strides he made over the summer, he could lock up the starting point guard spot.  “You’ll see a more aggressive Boogie Ellis this year,” Suzuki said. “They’re gonna see his ability to facilitate and get teammates shots when they want them in shooting pockets. He’s much stronger, more athletic and his confidence is higher. You’re gonna see him looking to score, especially to get to the basket, the free-throw line and get those free points when there’s time coming off the clock.” 

Article 3: This was from the Athletic and was behind a paywall, but it basically predicts, in the part that I could see, that Boogie Ellis will be the starting point guard.

So, this five star sophomore thinks he's going to be the point guard for the next three years, and Penny is telling Nesbitt that he's going to be the point guard.  Penny will tell these kids whatever they want to hear to get the highest ranked recruiting classes.  If young Jordan Nesbitt signs with Memphis and five star Boogie Ellis has a good year next year at the point, what do you think is going to happen to Nesbitt?

-interesting, very interesting

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I was referring more to the 100-200 level of recruit.  The French, Conklin and Mitchell level recruit.  That said, I trust this staff's ability to judge talent.  They have proven to be able to find players that weren't properly valued by the recruiting services and their are more of those kids than in a normal year because of what happened to the summer recruiting circuit.  

I just don't want to see the staff fill a spot with a questionable fit because they feel they have to in the fall.  There will be more kids out there this coming spring than ever and the staff with get the chance to evaluate them over whatever kind of high school basketball season we end up having across the country.  Plus, I think SLU will be in a stronger position recruiting wise because the will have a better product to sell come after the results of this season.  

-you realize our coach that did this is now coaching 5th grade girls, right? has our current staff done this?

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The word that throws me off is "promoting".

-is wearing the team logo on a hat/t-shirt/sweatshirt "promoting"? oh, it's up to NCAA to decide, great, this will be done equitably

-I agree this social media stuff probably doesn't mean much until the NCAA decides to make a statement on it and crucifies North Florida or some such school not named UNC, UK, KU etc for doing something 5 or 6 times when the others have done it thousands of times

4 hours ago, StlBills said:

Frank said bad news for Bills fans.  He spoke to someone close to Nesbitt and it doesn't sound good for SLU but he won't make any predictions.

I don't have a full grasp of the 2021 recruiting class but I get the impression that Ford & Co. put a LOT of eggs in the Nesbitt basket. Still confident we can assemble a strong class and it starts with landing Kern. I want to keep the Vashon pipeline/momentum open/going.

Yours Truly,

Severely Depressed SLU fan

It's so weird how three weeks ago the local and national guys all had him for SLU and now none of them do. Three ways that I can make sense of it:

1) The media speculators really have no clue, especially those that do crystal balls as they just follow one opinion, making it look more like a consensus than it really is.

2) Jordan really didn't know what he was going to do 3 weeks ago and his mind has been changed a couple times since. College coaches are some of the most persuasive salesmen around and are hard to say no to. Maybe things can change one more time in the last couple days...

3) It's just a money game for the highest bidder. I hate even suggesting that angle of it as it makes it sound like I'm saying everyone else is dirty and we aren't (I really don't know if we are dirty) but I struggle with how things can change all over the place so much in such a short about of time if it's not all about the cash.

Probably a little truth in all of the above.

AGB91 likes this

Their “insider” on the ILL board said the decision will possibly be made tonight. Maybe Tate and Ford will be there to close the deal for the good guys. Memphis is over committed and over promising and ILL is where talent goes to die....we are still in this. It would help if we can get insiders on Rivals or 247 to help relay our message. Any volunteers?

2 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Their “insider” on the ILL board said the decision will possibly be made tonight. Maybe Tate and Ford will be there to close the deal for the good guys. Memphis is over committed and over promising and ILL is where talent goes to die....we are still in this. It would help if we can get insiders on Rivals or 247 to help relay our message. Any volunteers?

Is Memphis over committed already?  I asked this yesterday because they are leading to get another 4 star recruit who is announcing tomorrow night so would they be over by 2 then already and Nesbitt would make it 3?  

5 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

I hope you are right. We all ripped on the Illini insider a few weeks ago, now we are hoping he's right. 

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Blue font, it comes down to whether the Nesbitt family wants Pappy’s on game day or Lambert’s cafe in Sikeston on their way to Memphis for a game.

I am hoping it’s Pappy’s.

If Q is driving the decision Memphis has a bit to offer. Illini had Applebee's

CBFan likes this

31 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

These are just kids.  It doesn't take a bag of cash to get them to change their minds .  It could've been a blushing Memphis belle that blinked and smiled at the right moment...... 

The Blushing Southern Bell. They call that the “Pitino strategy.” Not to be confused with the “Pete Bell”

With the “Pete Bell” if Ricky Roe wants a tractor you get Ricky  Roe a tractor,   If Butch McRae wants a house and job for his mother you hook him up, and if Neon Boudeaux doesn’t want anything you get him a car anyway.

Now if I was given this choice when I was 18 I’d go with the Pitino. Mainly because my parents didn’t need a house, my mom already had a job, and we definitely didn’t need a tractor. I was however striking out a lot with the women so a Pitino supplied  hooker would have been awesome!

CBFan, Reinert310, slu72 and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I wasn't sure how exactly to interpret that one, but reading it again I think it might. "Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university's athletics programs."

At least once, several years ago (90s maybe), when our season tickets arrived, there was a letter in the envelope that gave examples of what a booster could and could not do. It also said that just being season ticket holders you were considered boosters. (It was news to me I must say.) My late father and I had had tickets for several years prior and it had never been mentioned.

A quick perusal of the interwebs shows that schools DO consider season tickets holders to be boosters under the NCAA rules. And it's like the mafia, once you're in, you're ALWAYS in.

I suspect being a long time member of a fan board would also qualify.

TheChosenOne likes this

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The Blushing Southern Bell. They call that the “Pitino strategy.” Not to be confused with the “Pete Bell”

With the “Pete Bell” if Ricky Roe wants a tractor you get Ricky  Roe a tractor,   If Butch McRae wants a house and job for his mother you hook him up, and if Neon Boudeaux doesn’t want anything you get him a car anyway.

Now if I was given this choice when I was 18 I’d go with the Pitino. Mainly because my parents didn’t need a house, my mom already had a job, and we definitely didn’t need a tractor. I was however striking out a lot with the women so a Pitino supplied  hooker would have been awesome!

Don't forget Jesus Shuttlesworth in He Got Game and his visit with the "assistant coaches"