Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

The problem with telling anyone how he is going to be used is that it leaves the door wide open for player disappointment. This is something I believe SLU tries to stay away from.

Lets not kid ourselves, Ford has told him how he would be used.  The only question is - what  he told him and if he liked it.  Most  players are not going to come to a school not knowing what he should expect regarding his position.  Telling a player how he will be used is not an assurance that he will play the position - after all the player still has to produce - players want that knowledge.  If my son was in this position I absolutely would want to know that answer - now it is up to the player to prove himself.  How many times do people on this site post that a player may not see a fit at some school if there already is a very good player at their position - same concept.  My point in my original post was that I am sure Ford told him but the question is since he did not mention it is what Ford told him not what he wanted to hear?

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

The problem with telling anyone how he is going to be used is that it leaves the door wide open for player disappointment. This is something I believe SLU tries to stay away from.

Was this not a huge point when Goodwin committed? How it would be his team

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Possibly but he specifically talked about how Memphis and IL were talking about how they plan to use him in a way that he obviously liked.  What he said about SLU was nothing about how he would be used.  I just thought it was odd that he did not mention that given that it must be a big thing for him.

It was a Sports Illustrated article. Who knows how much he said about each school versus what they actually printed. Not saying it’s bad journalism, but the hometown hero sounds better than printing a third “this is how they’ll use me” quote. 

9 minutes ago, StlBills said:

Frank said bad news for Bills fans.  He spoke to someone close to Nesbitt and it doesn't sound good for SLU but he won't make any predictions.

Either way, I hope the best for him. I’m sure that Ford will still be able to pull together a strong class without him. 

13 minutes ago, StlBills said:

Frank said bad news for Bills fans.  He spoke to someone close to Nesbitt and it doesn't sound good for SLU but he won't make any predictions.

As always, if Travis couldn't get him, he could not be gotten.

On to the next and good bye and good luck to Mr. Nesbitt

we will lose 99% of the time when it requires playing in the dirt.   we dont do that.   fine.   as bauman pointed out with his example of ramey, nesbitt is about to be forgotten in the st louis metro area if he truly makes the choice to go to memphis or champaign.   one would think he would see the lifetime fame the likes of previous billiken greats got for staying home.   he is banking on striking it rich in the nba, good luck kid. 

If it doesn’t work out with Nesbitt, I would be fine holding a couple of scholarships until the the spring if you can’t fill them with really high level players.  If there ever was a season for the program to bet on itself and roll the dice in the spring, it is this season.  This spring there will be more talent available than usual, we will be coming off a really strong season and you can sell the chance at immediate playing time with the departure of the big three.  SLU will be a very attractive option to both high school seniors that didn’t sign early and top level transfers.

I am willing to bet on the team’s performance this season and the staff’s ability to sell what the program will offer incoming recruits in the spring.

15 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Don’t play they are dirty card...we are better than that. We should have the final pitch for Nesbitt, so be optimistic. 

We definitely need to pivot to Kern now. Show him the same love with we are giving Nesbitt. He is announcing something tomorrow I believe.

It ain't over till it's over ..... Yogi Berra

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

we will lose 99% of the time when it requires playing in the dirt.   we dont do that.   fine.   as bauman pointed out with his example of ramey, nesbitt is about to be forgotten in the st louis metro area if he truly makes the choice to go to memphis or champaign.   one would think he would see the lifetime fame the likes of previous billiken greats got for staying home.   he is banking on striking it rich in the nba, good luck kid. 

I can't totally agree with you here. If the program wants (like many of us) to raise itself beyond the nonhigh-major world it's currently in, these are the type of players that do it. I know there's an ethics line, and we don't want to play on the dark side of that line. Travis may lose this one, but he's always looking for the next big recruit. If he signs here, great. If he doesn't sign here, it becomes next man up. 

This also could be a case of the A-10 strikes again. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

If it doesn’t work out with Nesbitt, I would be fine holding a couple of scholarships until the the spring if you can’t fill them with really high level players.  If there ever was a season for the program to bet on itself and roll the dice in the spring, it is this season.  This spring there will be more talent available than usual, we will be coming off a really strong season and you can sell the chance at immediate playing time with the departure of the big three.  SLU will be a very attractive option to both high school seniors that didn’t sign early and top level transfers.

I am willing to bet on the team’s performance this season and the staff’s ability to sell what the program will offer incoming recruits in the spring.

The only top 100 high school recruits we've gotten the entire history of this program have been right here at home.  I expect that to remain the case for at least the next few years.  Mid-majors have to put together many years of success to dramatically alter their national recruiting profile.  If Nesbitt goes elsewhere, save one scholly for a Bess-level transfer in the spring.  Two is overkill.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only top 100 high school recruits we've gotten the entire history of this program have been right here at home.  I expect that to remain the case for at least the next few years.  Mid-majors have to put together many years of success to dramatically alter their national recruiting profile.  If Nesbitt goes elsewhere, save one scholly for a Bess-level transfer in the spring.  Two is overkill.

Hasahn French: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/212449/hasahn-french

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

French was top 100 in the final ratings for at least one rating site.

20 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Just out of curiosity....if you guys were Ford and were sitting in front of Nesbitt and his parents, how would you answer the question of his role coming in and how he would be used?

I know this, I wouldn't lie to him like Penny is likely doing to get a commitment.  Penny is telling him what he wants to hear.  If he chooses Memphis, it'll be a whole different story once he's there.

Everyone,  calm down. Every kid gets antsy before a big decision. Ultimately, he will realize that he can’t jam a Yuri pass in Memphis or Illinois. He can’t pitch a Hargrove alley hoop either. He can’t bring the Chaifetz to its feet, or eat Pappy’s. Also, once Kofi Kochburn is gone, Illinois will be a lower B10 team, and Memphis already showed who they are without Wiseman. I wouldn’t want to take the risk on their futures personally. He has seen what Ford does with big guards that rebound and defend. Hard to miss that one. It’s actually a pretty easy choice.