Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

30 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was under the impression that schools could not talk about a recruit until he signs.  I guess it doesn't matter if you are a coach talking to a reporter?

I think to some degree this is a SLU thing. It is a convenient excuse to avoid the subject. I am not saying it's not an NCAA rule but other schools seem to be far more liberal talking about recruits. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was under the impression that schools could not talk about a recruit until he signs.  I guess it doesn't matter if you are a coach talking to a reporter?

no specific coach was mentioned. 

54 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Exactly.  Second hand information from a reporter doesn't apply.

And even if a coach got on the radio and mentioned a recruit by name, it's considered a Level 3 violation.  The penalty, according to Bylaw 13.10.2.1, is "rules education to the involved institutional staff member."  So basically a sternly worded email.  And that's if anybody bothered to report it.

I just listened to Frank and what he said was that he had gotten a text recently about SLU feeling good about Nesbitt, so the question is what is the definition of "recently?"  That could be the text he mentioned a week ago. 

He was also very high on N Kern's abilities.

I would love to see both of them become Billikens and make Team Blue history.  Not many people get the chance in life to become home town heros. They will be loved and appreciated in this city long after they graduate. If Nesbitt goes to Illinois or Memphis he will just be another player and forgotten a year after he graduates.

bauman likes this

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

I would love to see both of them become Billikens and make Team Blue history.  Not many people get the chance in life to become home town heros. They will be loved and appreciated in this city long after they graduate. If Nesbitt goes to Illinois or Memphis he will just be another player and forgotten a year after he graduates.

Not even close to true. 

13 hours ago, BiggestSteve said:

I will make one last post and then leave you all to live in the fantasy land where everyone cheats except SLU. 

Where do you think the money for inducements comes from? Do you think the athletic department is cutting them a check? You think the Coach is going to go to the AD and say "Hey boss sure would love to cheat so go ahead and cut a check to this kids family" The money comes from boosters. Boosters outside of the athletic department. Doctors happen to make a lot of money, and there are some of them that also happen to like SLU basketball a lot. They aren't acting in an official capacity as med school faculty. The whole point of the money coming from boosters outside of the athletic department is that it is harder to trace. This is how basically every school does it. There are other boosters who are not doctors, and I don't have much insight into what they are involved in. People like Reinert's daddy don't know about these things for three reasons. One, they don't go through the official channels and instead go through boosters. Two, you don't tell your boss when you are cheating or doing something potentially illegal. A coach isn't going to tell on themselves to the AD, and the AD isn't going to tell on their department to upper admin. Three, upper admin and typically the AD doesn't WANT to know about these things because if they did know they would be implicated if the whole thing blows up. As for Gordon, it wasn't an actual condo. That phrase was hyperbole. It was used to indicate the amount of money his family was paid, as opposed to say "had to buy his dad a car" which would indicate a lower level payout. For those wondering, my bachelors was actually from Bradley (SOOOOOOO SLIMY).

My point is, you don’t have a credible source. If someone is making an illegal  payoff, they aren’t going to go around bragging about it. 

11 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

My point is, you don’t have a credible source. If someone is making an illegal  payoff, they aren’t going to go around bragging about it. 

I think it sounds legit. 300+ D1 teams. Lots of money and almost certainly tax fraud. Thousands of people involved over the years and all kept relatively quiet. Sounds reasonable to me because if there is one thing I know for sure...getting thousands of people involved and getting teens involved in secret keeping is by far the best way to ensure the secret is kept (especially when the secret getting out would most likely lead to jail time for some). 

J Nesbitt and N Kern,  we want you at your hometown team helping to continue the upward path Coach Ford along with Corey Tate and Ford Stuen have SLU on!  You could be one of the very best duo's to ever come to SLU ranking right at the top with two guys leaving to make room for you--- J Goodwin and H French.

5 hours ago, bauman said:

J Nesbitt and N Kern,  we want you at your hometown team helping to continue the upward path Coach Ford along with Corey Tate and Ford Stuen have SLU on!  You could be one of the very best duo's to ever come to SLU ranking right at the top with two guys leaving to make room for you--- J Goodwin and H French.

Except this outgoing cohort is a trio (triumvirate): French, Goodwin, and Perkins.  And Bills fans want a third big-time recruit (a big) along with Nesbitt and Kern.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think bauman is comparing duos who came in together.  At least that's how I read it.

You are right.  A few posts back I wrote about some of the best recruiting year duo's and that was what I was following up on.  I guess I could have been clearer.

Edited by bauman
typo

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Except this outgoing cohort is a trio (triumvirate): French, Goodwin, and Perkins.  And Bills fans want a third big-time recruit (a big) along with Nesbitt and Kern.

Me thinks that scholly will end up in Russell’s hands...

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Then it will be because someone transfers.  Because the staff has been pretty clear in its intent to land a big.

I don’t see the immediate need for a big in the 21-22 season. Bell, Okoro, Linssen, Lorensson, and Hargrove (who plays big) should provide a more than capable inside group. Plus, if we land Nesbitt, and he’s a clone of JGood grabbing caroms shouldn’t be a problem, or should it? Give it to Russell. You can’t have too many guys who can play the point. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don’t see the immediate need for a big in the 21-22 season. Bell, Okoro, Linssen, Lorensson, and Hargrove (who plays big) should provide a more than capable inside group. Plus, if we land Nesbitt, and he’s a clone of JGood grabbing caroms shouldn’t be a problem, or should it? Give it to Russell. You can’t have too many guys who can play the point. 

Not knowing what the staff is thinking about how they want to run their offense it is hard to say why or  why not they want another big.  Lorensson does not play that type of game - he is a face the basket kind of guy and they don't really meet the big role usually.  Okoro will be coming off and injury and has not played for 2 years basically - not sure how long it will take him to become productive. Comparing Nesbitt to JGood may or may not be right but usually when you start doing those comparisons you often get something else because each player is who they are not who we want them to be.  I am willing to defer to the coaching staff on this one.

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not knowing what the staff is thinking about how they want to run their offense it is hard to say why or  why not they want another big.  Lorensson does not play that type of game - he is a face the basket kind of guy and they don't really meet the big role usually.  Okoro will be coming off and injury and has not played for 2 years basically - not sure how long it will take him to become productive. Comparing Nesbitt to JGood may or may not be right but usually when you start doing those comparisons you often get something else because each player is who they are not who we want them to be.  I am willing to defer to the coaching staff on this one.

I bow to the staff’s roster designs as well. However, if Russell shows he can contribute at this level, ie an effective A10 player, why would we risk losing him if we withhold a scholie?  That said, I do think we will lose a player or two to the transfer portal for the 21-22 season once the 1 year sit rule is history. I don’t want to speculate  who they might be but given our current roster, and especially if we add Nesbitt and Kern, minutes for some pretty solid players are going to be hard to come by. In that event, this discussion will become moot as we’ll have more openings. 

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

That big won't necessarily be for the 21-22 season but for the seasons that follow. Linnsen will be a Sr, plus Bell and Okoro will be Jr's. We will no traditional bigs in the Frosh class so imo we definitely need a big in this class. Am I missing something? Lorensson though he has some height isn't the guy you're going to want defending the opponents bigs. Neither is Hargrove. 

HoosierPal likes this

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

You're right. Guys also want to play. I suspect Yaya had someone tell him that he'd probably sit his entire first year at SLU. And you still have Bell/Okoro in 22-23. I suspect the staff is hoping to find a Bell-type talent that they don't immediately need to put in the fire. Bring along slowly, have ready for the rotation in 22/23, and then ready to start, or get recruited over, in 23/24.

They won't sign anybody though, because Russell will probably play his way into a scholarship. 

A big in this class that needs a year to develop his body and adjust to div 1 (most freshman bigs), would be perfect. In other words the staff could take a chance on a player with potential. A freshman would be able to measure and adjust his game against our current bigs and you never know who is going to get hurt.