Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

I don’t know how much of a role the coach at St. Louis Christian is playing in Nesbitt’s decision, but it wouldn’t shock me if the coach was was pushing the Illini or any other power 5 program over SLU and Memphis.  Coaches at those type of programs sell their programs to players by placing players at the highest profile programs possible.

billiken_roy, ACE and RUBillsFan like this

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all part of the game for there to be drama coming down to the wire. It is more fun for the kid to have people hanging on his decision, its more clicks for the recruiting experts if there are dissenting opinions, and its good for the coach of any high school program to keep all three college coaches happy that their effort isn't wasted.

Obviously, don't love that there is dissenting opinions coming in multiple directions but still feel good about our chances here.  

dlarry likes this

Realistically, it was always going to come down to the wire with this commitment in my opinion. Nesbitt knows our staff well and he knows our players well. If he feels somewhere else is a better fit, then more power to him. But SLU handled his recruitment well and we won't have to spend any time second guessing whether we recruited him hard enough.

These are 16/17 year old kids trying to make decisions with a million people in their ear telling them what to do. Sometimes they make good ones, sometimes they make bad ones. Sometimes decisions are rational, and sometimes kids change their mind. All SLU can do is continue to put ourselves in the best position for recruits like Nesbitt who are interested.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

accusing a coach of arranging a condo is not "playing in the grey area".   that is pure cheating.   and you lie.   please go away.   if you were a true billiken fan you wouldnt come here with your first post as such.   maybe you got a masters from slu, but i am betting your bachelor's was an illini degree.     you are way too slimy for that not to be true.  

The only masters this jack off got from anyone was in baiting

4 hours ago, BigSteve said:

Anyone who is halfway clued in at SLU knew about the Gordon recruitment. My father in law works in admin at the med school and even he knew. He called me after he committed and said "You hear about this kid they got for the basketball team? Had to pay for a nice condo for his mom" The Gordon family was not particularly low key about what happened either.

Interesting, so his mom whom along the family tree is no where near the top for him got the condo, but the rest of the fam who he lived with until a month ago got zip? Seems brutal, I wonder what other gifts distant family members got 

JMM28 and dlarry like this

4 hours ago, BigSteve said:

Anyone who is halfway clued in at SLU knew about the Gordon recruitment. My father in law works in admin at the med school and even he knew. He called me after he committed and said "You hear about this kid they got for the basketball team? Had to pay for a nice condo for his mom" The Gordon family was not particularly low key about what happened either.

Of course the athletic department is going to discuss their payoffs with the medical school administration. All payoffs have to have their stamp of approval.

15 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Of course the athletic department is going to discuss their payoffs with the medical school administration. All payoffs have to have their stamp of approval.

I will make one last post and then leave you all to live in the fantasy land where everyone cheats except SLU. 

Where do you think the money for inducements comes from? Do you think the athletic department is cutting them a check? You think the Coach is going to go to the AD and say "Hey boss sure would love to cheat so go ahead and cut a check to this kids family" The money comes from boosters. Boosters outside of the athletic department. Doctors happen to make a lot of money, and there are some of them that also happen to like SLU basketball a lot. They aren't acting in an official capacity as med school faculty. The whole point of the money coming from boosters outside of the athletic department is that it is harder to trace. This is how basically every school does it. There are other boosters who are not doctors, and I don't have much insight into what they are involved in. People like Reinert's daddy don't know about these things for three reasons. One, they don't go through the official channels and instead go through boosters. Two, you don't tell your boss when you are cheating or doing something potentially illegal. A coach isn't going to tell on themselves to the AD, and the AD isn't going to tell on their department to upper admin. Three, upper admin and typically the AD doesn't WANT to know about these things because if they did know they would be implicated if the whole thing blows up. As for Gordon, it wasn't an actual condo. That phrase was hyperbole. It was used to indicate the amount of money his family was paid, as opposed to say "had to buy his dad a car" which would indicate a lower level payout. For those wondering, my bachelors was actually from Bradley (SOOOOOOO SLIMY).

TaLBErt likes this

25 minutes ago, BiggestSteve said:

I will make one last post and then leave you all to live in the fantasy land where everyone cheats except SLU. 

Where do you think the money for inducements comes from? Do you think the athletic department is cutting them a check? You think the Coach is going to go to the AD and say "Hey boss sure would love to cheat so go ahead and cut a check to this kids family" The money comes from boosters. Boosters outside of the athletic department. Doctors happen to make a lot of money, and there are some of them that also happen to like SLU basketball a lot. They aren't acting in an official capacity as med school faculty. The whole point of the money coming from boosters outside of the athletic department is that it is harder to trace. This is how basically every school does it. There are other boosters who are not doctors, and I don't have much insight into what they are involved in. People like Reinert's daddy don't know about these things for three reasons. One, they don't go through the official channels and instead go through boosters. Two, you don't tell your boss when you are cheating or doing something potentially illegal. A coach isn't going to tell on themselves to the AD, and the AD isn't going to tell on their department to upper admin. Three, upper admin and typically the AD doesn't WANT to know about these things because if they did know they would be implicated if the whole thing blows up. As for Gordon, it wasn't an actual condo. That phrase was hyperbole. It was used to indicate the amount of money his family was paid, as opposed to say "had to buy his dad a car" which would indicate a lower level payout. For those wondering, my bachelors was actually from Bradley (SOOOOOOO SLIMY).

Thanks for that quality post.

41 minutes ago, BiggestSteve said:

You really destroyed that straw man, but I don’t see where anyone on this board has argued that SLU is the only clean school in the NCAA. Thanks for all the entertainment value you have provided, though! I’m sure your posts will be missed. 

1 hour ago, BiggestSteve said:

glad to hear you are gone.   you wont be missed.

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was under the impression that schools could not talk about a recruit until he signs.  I guess it doesn't matter if you are a coach talking to a reporter?

Pretty sure you can say things off the record, seems like that happens all the time with "sources",  just not publicly in interviews. 

30 minutes ago, pakapablo said:

Frank just said he got a text from a SLU assistant saying they feel “good” about Nesbitt. 

I’m glad the staff still feels good about their chances because the recruiting analysts sure don’t. I’m not sure what they’ve heard, but pretty much all of them are picking Illinois now.

3 hours ago, BiggestSteve said:

Good riddance lying troll.

The majority of D1 programs are clean not just SLU.

Have fun accusing SLU of cheating on the Illini message board when Nesbitt commits to SLU.

Please make good on your promise of no more posts.