Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s an article from Busting Brackets about Nesbitt naming his finalists. Nothing earth shattering in this, but still an interesting read.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/09/19/ncaa-basketball-illinois-memphis-fighting-four-star-jordan-nesbitt/

I’m not saying I believe him (because I don’t. Not at all) but that same idiot on the Illini board has officially said Nesbitt is a “lock” for Illinois. Now I would take that with a big fat grain of salt because:

1-none if the crystal balls have changed

2-this guy has said several other ridiculous things over the past several weeks that I have a good deal of confidence are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY INACCURATE.

Just relaying what I saw on their board. No reason to panic. He’s probably playing the “insider” role. Telling his followers what they want to hear. Then if/when he’s wrong, he’ll accuse the other schools of improper payments and explain how it was a late development, he wasn’t really wrong and it wasn’t his fault.

16 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m not saying I believe him (because I don’t. Not at all) but that same idiot on the Illini board has officially said Nesbitt is a “lock” for Illinois. Now I would take that with a big fat grain of salt because:

2-this guy has said several other ridiculous things over the past several weeks that I have a good deal of confidence are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY INACCURATE.

Just relaying what I saw on their board. No reason to panic. He’s probably playing the “insider” role. Telling his followers what they want to hear. Then if/when he’s wrong, he’ll accuse the other schools of improper payments and explain how it was a late development, he wasn’t really wrong and it wasn’t his fault.

0*B0Axp6tXQ2vGeLni

4 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

The way I read it, he says the Billikens appear poised to land him.

32 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The way I read it, he says the Billikens appear poised to land him.

Other posters in the thread said things like “I hope you’re right.” That’s why I assumed he was talking about Illinois. Could be wrong.

Memphis’ 247 reporter says they’re in a good spot here. Illinois fans think he will end up there. The national recruiting experts are still picking SLU for now. I don’t know if anyone knows how this will turn out. Hopefully his connection to home and the players on the roster who he is already friends with will win out.

bauman and Reinert310 like this

John Poulakidas committed to Yale. He didn't list finalists but Yale was in the mix with Minnesota, Butler, GW, and TCU, with a couple others outside the top five or so who prioritized him recently.

Kok Yat committed to DePaul. We weren't on his list of finalists.

Nisine Poplar committed to Miami last week. Also didn't make his finalists but I don't think I closed the loop when he committed.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:44 AM, slu72 said:

During these troubled times I'm hoping he seeks the comfort zone of home. 

That would be fine, but I am hoping he picks SLU because we are a fantastic program on the rise, with a great coach, and a spot (position) that will be open for him to compete for (Goodwin's), and a few players he knows well from BBE---Yuri, TJ and Russell.  As far as "the comfort zone of home," I don't know anything about his family situation, but I do know playing at Chaifetz will allow any family and friends to attend all his games without having to drive 400-500 miles RT, and to read/hear  about his games in the local media.

From Eric Bossi of Rivals...

For any readers who may not know, Jordan Nesbitt cut his list to Illinois, Memphis and hometown St. Louis last week. The tough wing from St. Louis (Mo.) Christian is a bully on both ends of the floor who has risen to No. 46 in the 2021 Rivals150. Currently, Nesbitt is set to announce his college decision on his birthday, Oct. 1.

What we’ve always known with him is that he’s not likely to go far from home and his final three reflect that. From the sounds of it Illinois and Memphis have really turned things up over the past few weeks and they may be gaining some traction. My Futurecast is currently with St. Louis but I don’t have quite the same level of confidence in that being the right choice that I did when I entered my pick about a month and a half ago. I still favor SLU, but this one has tightened up.

Pistol and TheChosenOne like this

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

From Eric Bossi of Rivals...

For any readers who may not know, Jordan Nesbitt cut his list to Illinois, Memphis and hometown St. Louis last week. The tough wing from St. Louis (Mo.) Christian is a bully on both ends of the floor who has risen to No. 46 in the 2021 Rivals150. Currently, Nesbitt is set to announce his college decision on his birthday, Oct. 1.

What we’ve always known with him is that he’s not likely to go far from home and his final three reflect that. From the sounds of it Illinois and Memphis have really turned things up over the past few weeks and they may be gaining some traction. My Futurecast is currently with St. Louis but I don’t have quite the same level of confidence in that being the right choice that I did when I entered my pick about a month and a half ago. I still favor SLU, but this one has tightened up.

Of course he is, that's how we roll.

Billiken Rich likes this

He just seems like the perfect replacement for JG.  As much as a I love JG, Nesbitt could end up being a more skilled version of Goodwin.  I hope he realizes how well he fits into what we do.  If he comes here, he will be given every opportunity to succeed.  At schools like Illinois and Memphis, he will be riding the pine at the first sign of struggle and they will constantly be trying to recruit over him.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

He just seems like the perfect replacement for JG.  As much as a I love JG, Nesbitt could end up being a more skilled version of Goodwin.  I hope he realizes how well he fits into what we do.  If he comes here, he will be given every opportunity to succeed.  At schools like Illinois and Memphis, he will be riding the pine at the first sign of struggle and they will constantly be trying to recruit over him.

-I hope we are always trying to get the best student/athletes to Be Billikens

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I hope we are always trying to get the best student/athletes to Be Billikens

No doubt, but recruiting over Nesbitt for us would mean chasing 5-star players. We're going to be recruiting complementary players for him, not replacements - the same way we built around French and Goodwin.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agreed on all facets 100%. The only tradeoff with a "more-skilled" Goodwin is you don't get the preposterous rebounding numbers that you do with Goodie. 

Crazy to say that about arguably our best all around player of the last 50 years, but here we are. 

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Agreed on all facets 100%. The only tradeoff with a "more-skilled" Goodwin is you don't get the preposterous rebounding numbers that you do with Goodie. 

Crazy to say that about arguably our best all around player of the last 50 years, but here we are. 

i also dont know if you get a harder working player.   goodwin plays harder than just about any billiken in my memory all the time.   relentless in every way.  

cgeldmacher likes this

18 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i also dont know if you get a harder working player.   goodwin plays harder than just about any billiken in my memory all the time.   relentless in every way.  

Goodwin kind of the perfect player in that he plays all four years, and is just about the best player on the team for all of those years. Top 5 all time in rebounds, points, assists. That's a Billiken HOF kind of career. There's a slim path for Nesbitt to both be better and not leave early. I'm fine with him leaving early if he gets us to at least one Sweet 16 plus A-10 championship. I'd like, in 20 years, to look back on this 8 year stretch as "the Jordan years."

Edited by Crewsorlose
Typo
Zink and majerus mojo like this

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I certainly don't want this to come across as anything negative with regard to J Goodwin, in my opinion he is likely a member of the last 50 years of Billiken BB's Mt Rushmore---a great all-around player and leader.  However, I don't think there is any question about who is the greatest Billiken in that 50 year timeframe.  Anthony Bonner is the all-time SLU leader in Points, Rebounds and , as of today, Steals.  Jordan will pass him in the Steals category early this year, but still for a 6'8" player to be the current Steals leader is pretty incredible.  Both AB and JG were also great representatives of the school and basketball program.

While I agree with Roy's post about JG being a hard worker, always working to become better,  I think he and AB might also be tied for first (thanks Tony LaRussa).  I remember watching practices at the old West Pine gym with AB working for hours after practice with Coach Grawer on improving his skills.  Many forget that Bonner came to SLU with only one other D 1 scholarship offer---from SIU-C.  To go from an under recruited Freshman to a 1st Round NBA draft choice is a pretty good indication of how hard he worked during his 4 years at SLU.

In looking at the SLU Record Book, it hit me that we have had a number of really good 2-man recruiting classes.  I'm not sure how to rank them, but the following duo's were all big contributors to SLU BB.:   HF and JG;  Scott Highmark and Erwin Claggett;  Monroe Douglass and Roland Gray;  and Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch.  There might be others but those are the ones who standout in my mind.

dlarry and brianstl like this

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

I certainly don't want this to come across as anything negative with regard to J Goodwin, in my opinion he is likely a member of the last 50 years of Billiken BB's Mt Rushmore---a great all-around player and leader.  However, I don't think there is any question about who is the greatest Billiken in that 50 year timeframe.  Anthony Bonner is the all-time SLU leader in Points, Rebounds and , as of today, Steals.  Jordan will pass him in the Steals category early this year, but still for a 6'8" player to be the current Steals leader is pretty incredible.  Both AB and JG were also great representatives of the school and basketball program.

While I agree with Roy's post about JG being a hard worker, always working to become better,  I think he and AB might also be tied for first (thanks Tony LaRussa).  I remember watching practices at the old West Pine gym with AB working for hours after practice with Coach Grawer on improving his skills.  Many forget that Bonner came to SLU with only one other D 1 scholarship offer---from SIU-C.  To go from an under recruited Freshman to a 1st Round NBA draft choice is a pretty good indication of how hard he worked during his 4 years at SLU.

In looking at the SLU Record Book, it hit me that we have had a number of really good 2-man recruiting classes.  I'm not sure how to rank them, but the following duo's were all big contributors to SLU BB.:   HF and JG;  Scott Highmark and Erwin Claggett;  Monroe Douglass and Roland Gray;  and Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch.  There might be others but those are the ones who standout in my mind.

Bonner also shot a respectable (for a big man) 63% from the line and managed to put up French-level assist numbers.  What a complete player.

23 minutes ago, bauman said:

If we go to the Final Four this year, it is Goodwin. Stats are great. Hard to debate your statements, but winning, and being the leader of a winning team means more to me than stats. Just something for J. Good to consider.

39 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Goodwin kind of the perfect player in that he plays all four years, and is just about the best player on the team for all of those years. Top 5 all time in rebounds, points, assists. That's a Billiken HOF kind of career. There's a slim path for Nesbitt to both be better and not leave early. I'm fine with him leaving early if he gets us to at least one Sweet 16 plus ACC championship. I'd like, in 20 years, to look back on this 8 year stretch as "the Jordan years."

One minor correction, Goodwin will likely finish top 5 all time in 3 categories, but the correct three are rebounds, assists and steals, not points by either total pts or average pts.

I like your definition of the 8 year period as"the Jordan years."  Let's hope it happens and we wouldn't need to wait 20 years to appreciate what those two Jordans would have accomplished as Billikens and the impact they would have had on the Program!

A lot depends on how this season goes, but it looks like Goodwin will have made all those marks on the record book with 3 of 4 seasons shortened in some way. And French will be all over the record books with 2 of 4 cut short. (Don't forget about him.) What they've done in 3 years is absolutely remarkable.

CBFan, SLU_Lax, bauman and 4 others like this