Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I know IU was still sniffing around mid-summer.  But I guess that has cooled.

I don't know about Jalen's total game.  His brother, James Blackmon, Jr., was a snipper but 'couldn't guard a chair'.  I wonder if that is a family trait or something that Jalen has discovered will hold him back.  Jr. played 3 years at IU, averaged 16 ppg, went undrafted, and I believe played recently in Italy's pro league. 

I would like to think that as the youngest, they've all learned enough by now to make sure Jalen knows how to defend. I don't know much about his defensive game, though.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If he's trimming his list in September, it almost certainly means he's committing by November.

I believe LOI dates for this year are unchanged. The date was extended through August 1 this past period, but right now it's still the November early period (November 11-18) and the regular spring period (April 14-May 19).

-thank you, an early signing could be a real good thing if he is healthy and the bigs are playing a waiting game and wait too long

-to move to another prospect, any feeling on timing for Nesbitt? 

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-thank you, an early signing could be a real good thing if he is healthy and the bigs are playing a waiting game and wait too long

-to move to another prospect, any feeling on timing for Nesbitt? 

No, just that he said he'd trim his list further or commit "soon". His birthday is October 1 - maybe we know more by then.

Reinert310 likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

No, just that he said he'd trim his list further or commit "soon". His birthday is October 1 - maybe we know more by then.

I (very) selfishly hope he commits soon. The anticipation is killing me. Whatever he decides, at least we’ll know. 

1 hour ago, slusam said:

Yaya Keita has an article on his recruiting on Missouri Rivals. Anyone have a membership so they can read it?

Wants to wait for on campus visits before a decision. Pro mizzou article as would be expected. No mention of other schools other than a list of offers

On 9/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, Reinert310 said:

09ECA21B-1D05-4055-9FDD-8E776A669B6C.png

Okay, say we get Nesbitt and Blackmon to sign during the Fall signing period.  What do we want in the Spring, a big or Kern?

Love Kern and want him to be a Billiken ...... BUT ..... think we need to get a quality big with Okoro (Jr), Bell (Jr) and Linssen (Sr) being upper classmen in the 2021-22 season.

And since in the 2021-22 season we would have Nesbitt (Fr), Strickland (Soph), Jimerson (Soph) and Thatch (Jr) who can play that 2/3 ball handling shooting guard/forward; Kern is not a dire need.  But, sure would love to get him and a quality big. 

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Who was he previously committed to?

Looking on 247 timeline, I didn’t see any previous commitments, but they didn’t even have a picture of him. His other 2 offers were Cleveland State and Montana State. There’s a reason he committed the same day Mizzou offered. Not real worried about it.

12 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Okay, say we get Nesbitt and Blackmon to sign during the Fall signing period.  What do we want in the Spring, a big or Kern?

Love Kern and want him to be a Billiken ...... BUT ..... think we need to get a quality big with Okoro (Jr), Bell (Jr) and Linssen (Sr) being upper classmen in the 2021-22 season.

And since in the 2021-22 season we would have Nesbitt (Fr), Strickland (Soph), Jimerson (Soph) and Thatch (Jr) who can play that 2/3 ball handling shooting guard/forward; Kern is not a dire need.  But, sure would love to get him and a quality big. 

Depending on how things go, it might not be an either-or. There are always transfers. Landing both Nesbitt and Blackmon wouldn't necessarily shut the door on Kern or anyone else.

Crewsorlose likes this

11 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Looking on 247 timeline, I didn’t see any previous commitments, but they didn’t even have a picture of him. His other 2 offers were Cleveland State and Montana State. There’s a reason he committed the same day Mizzou offered. Not real worried about it.

It was just a sarcastic comment. If Martin signed him doesn't he already have to be committed to someone else? 

Reinert310 likes this

21 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Wants to wait for on campus visits before a decision. Pro mizzou article as would be expected. No mention of other schools other than a list of offers

Yeah, I just read the article and this is the primary takeaway as well. Since it was written by PowerMizzou and not one of the Rivals national folks, it is Mizzou centric. Pleased with his current offers (Keita said he still hears regularly from every school that has offered him a scholarship — Iowa, Iowa State, Tulsa, Saint Louis and West Virginia among them), but likely not looking to commit until he can take some visits (He doesn’t plan to commit anytime soon. In fact, he said he’d prefer to wait until the NCAA allows him to visit the campus of each of his suitors before finalizing a commitment).

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, I just read the article and this is the primary takeaway as well. Since it was written by PowerMizzou and not one of the Rivals national folks, it is Mizzou centric. Pleased with his current offers (Keita said he still hears regularly from every school that has offered him a scholarship — Iowa, Iowa State, Tulsa, Saint Louis and West Virginia among them), but likely not looking to commit until he can take some visits (He doesn’t plan to commit anytime soon. In fact, he said he’d prefer to wait until the NCAA allows him to visit the campus of each of his suitors before finalizing a commitment).

Hopefully he doesn't have to reclassify for that to be possible.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Hopefully he doesn't have to reclassify for that to be possible.

Right, such an odd time for recruiting. Within the article he acknowledged the possibility of that not being possible which could make things more fluid. I just listened to Frank's show from today and he said that he expects him to commit to Mizzou in the near future, so who knows.

Frank also said he was texting with Corey Tate asking him when he is going to close Jordan Nesbitt and sent him a coffee's for closers meme. Said Tate responded that he is trying to get that locked up. I doubt many local media folks are texting coaches things of that nature, so for now on I am going to take anything Frank says as essentially coming directly from the coaching staff. Good to have one guy on our side!

15 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Right, such an odd time for recruiting. Within the article he acknowledged the possibility of that not being possible which could make things more fluid. I just listened to Frank's show from today and he said that he expects him to commit to Mizzou in the near future, so who knows.

Frank also said he was texting with Corey Tate asking him when he is going to close Jordan Nesbitt and sent him a coffee's for closers meme. Said Tate responded that he is trying to get that locked up. I doubt many local media folks are texting coaches things of that nature, so for now on I am going to take anything Frank says as essentially coming directly from the coaching staff. Good to have one guy on our side!

Do you remember which segment this was in? Thanks for the recap!

14 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Do you remember which segment this was in? Thanks for the recap!

It was towards the end of the segment where they asked Frank 5 questions (I just found it online, 5 for Frank which is Segment 6 around the 15 minute mark). It wasn't even one of the questions. After the 5th question someone said something about games being played with no or a small percentage of fans and one of the guys joked how it won't feel much different for Mizzou and that was when Frank chimed in with what he was hearing on Keita (said the host family he lives with texted him that it was looking good for Mizzou, but Frank's comments on him committing to Mizzou seemed stronger than that). And he transitioned from that to texting Tate the coffee's for closers meme. Stream of consciousness type stuff thinking back on it.