Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did an update of the Recruiting Lists thread recently. Some 2021 notes:

-Nesbitt is obviously the big story in this class for SLU. Said he'll trim his list or just commit soon, and I like the sound of that.

-Ola Ajiboye, a PF out of Chicago, said he wants to visit SLU and NC A&T when he is able. He transferred to Evanston from Von Steuben for his senior year. SLU is his highest-level offer so far but he has at least a few power conference programs sniffing around. He likely would've been able to boost his stock quite a bit with a full AAU season this year.

-Jalen Blackmon appears to be 100% now, or very close to it. Tulane is his latest offer and SLU and Grand Canyon are also relatively recent ones out of his 7 total offers.

-SLU appears to be very much in the mix with P.J. Eason, a PF from Alabama who has flown under the radar. UTEP, Mississippi State, and SE Louisiana (the other SLU) are his other offers. He said SLU refreshed the offer in May.

-Gassama and Keita have been playing well in events with Gateway. They each have 10 or fewer offers at this point but interest is growing.

-Kern's latest offer is from VCU, his fifth overall. @SLURadioBoy My read with him is that he's in no hurry. He would've benefited greatly from an AAU season. Scouts have said he's hit or miss whenever they see him and consider him a longer-term play with a lot of upside.

-Kelvin Lee, Jr. played in the BBE Challenge this month but no one is really talking about his performance.

-A.J. Neal is expected to list his finalists soon. I don't expect SLU to be one. He has almost 30 offers.

-Kok Yat reclassified to 2021 from the 2022 class. SLU was one of his early offers but it seems like KU, DePaul, New Mexico, and South Carolina are currently prioritizing him.

Plenty of other notes and updates in the thread, too.

SLURadioBoy likes this

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-Kern's latest offer is from VCU, his fifth overall. @SLURadioBoy My read with him is that he's in no hurry. He would've benefited greatly from an AAU season. Scouts have said he's hit or miss whenever they see him and consider him a longer-term play with a lot of upside.

Thanks, @Pistol. You're probably right. I just thought the commitment from Russell and lack of offers for Kern might get him to commit sooner. He also seems to be pretty tight with Nesbitt (judging from social media), so I wonder if a commitment from Nesbitt could help as well.

14 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Thanks, @Pistol. You're probably right. I just thought the commitment from Russell and lack of offers for Kern might get him to commit sooner. He also seems to be pretty tight with Nesbitt (judging from social media), so I wonder if a commitment from Nesbitt could help as well.

Yeah...Russell and potentially Nesbitt would help.  VCU has offered Mckinney and already have Stockard too.  But I agree with @Pistol.  I believe Nick waits until the season starts.  If things return to normal for the schools and they have their open gyms in September...Kern will see an uptick in offers.

SLURadioBoy likes this

On 8/18/2020 at 11:33 AM, brianstl said:

Not sure what to read into this but James White https://247sports.com/Player/James-White-46101081/ started following Tate, Stuen and Giacoletti on twitter in the past couple of days. Tate followed him yesterday.   I didn't even know we were recruiting him.  He came out with a top 12 a month ago of Florida St., Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Creighton, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Texas A&M and Xavier. In addition he started following staff members at Louisville, Notre Dame, and Syracuse. His twitter account makes it appear he has reopened his recruitment and got a mizzou offer a couple of days ago.

I think this is enough to put him on the interest list:

James White - SG, 6-5, 175 - Conyers, GA (Heritage) - AAU: Game Elite - Twitter: @jwdub05
Offers: VCU, Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Arizona State, Tennessee State, UAB, South Alabama, Iona, Marist, Kennesaw State, North Carolina A&T, South Carolina State.

Interest: Saint Louis, Dayton, Marquette, St. John's, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Boston College, Oklahoma State, USC, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Central Florida, Wyoming, Murray State, Austin Peay, Texas-El Paso, Little Rock, Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Louisiana-Monroe, Stetson, Liberty.

Latest News: White received offers from DePaul, VCU, and Mizzou after reopening his recruitment. He released a final 12 in July but decided to reopen it and take his time. (8/20/20)

Scouting Report: White is a complete scoring guard with skill, length, and size. He has a smooth stroke with range and the ability to create his own offense. He's also a good ball handler and passer who creates opportunities for his teammates. He handles PG duties for his HS at times. He's smart and moves well off the ball. Rankings: Rivals - 103, 247 Sports - 130, 247Sports Composite - 93.

Coach314 and brianstl like this

Frank spoke briefly today about the Nesbitt situation. Nothing new to report. He said SLU is waiting and hoping to get a decision soon. He predicted that if Nesbitt and Kern commit, Ford and the staff will be done recruiting for a while and will hold that last scholarship for a transfer. Sounded like that was just his assumption though, and he has not heard that.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:30 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank spoke briefly today about the Nesbitt situation. Nothing new to report. He said SLU is waiting and hoping to get a decision soon. He predicted that if Nesbitt and Kern commit, Ford and the staff will be done recruiting for a while and will hold that last scholarship for a transfer. Sounded like that was just his assumption though, and he has not heard that.

I just hope neither of them get sucked into thinking they are going to a big-time program, as happened to Kasupke, Bradford and K. Clark when they signed with P6 conference teams---K St and Georgetown,  neither one of which could stay within 10 of the Bills.  The Hoyas entered the top 144 list today at # 78 and after reading the write up you have to wonder why they are that high.

Edit:  Add another player and school to the above list of players who thought they were going big time-to a P5/P6 school-never to be heard from again or followed in the STL media.  J. Hellums at N C St..  The Wolfpack just came onto the top 144 list at 73, projected to go to the NIT.  Meanwhile look for SLU on Tournament Selection Sunday.   N C St,  just another school that SLU could handle this year.

Edited by bauman
Additional Information

I would like to see that third scholarship go to a big Freshman. A year to hit the weights, catch up to div 1 and play spot minutes would seem to fit really well. A sit out transfer would also work, as long as there are 2 or more years of eligibility. We don't need another 2 year transfer big, that plays right away and graduates with Bell and Okoro.

bauman likes this

20 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I would like to see that third scholarship go to a big Freshman. A year to hit the weights, catch up to div 1 and play spot minutes would seem to fit really well. A sit out transfer would also work, as long as there are 2 or more years of eligibility. We don't need another 2 year transfer big, that plays right away and graduates with Bell and Okoro.

I'd love to sign Nesbitt and Kern and hold the last scholarship for the Spring.  Then, when we're ranked and riding high, perhaps we will be able to shoot higher than our current options for a big to come in an eventually take over for Okoro.

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'd love to sign Nesbitt and Kern and hold the last scholarship for the Spring.  Then, when we're ranked and riding high, perhaps we will be able to shoot higher than our current options for a big to come in an eventually take over for Okoro.

Make that Okoro and Bell.  Let's not forget Jimmy who seems to be working his tail off.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:33 AM, brianstl said:

Not sure what to read into this but James White https://247sports.com/Player/James-White-46101081/ started following Tate, Stuen and Giacoletti on twitter in the past couple of days. Tate followed him yesterday.   I didn't even know we were recruiting him.  He came out with a top 12 a month ago of Florida St., Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Creighton, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Texas A&M and Xavier. In addition he started following staff members at Louisville, Notre Dame, and Syracuse. His twitter account makes it appear he has reopened his recruitment and got a mizzou offer a couple of days ago.

He just committed to Ole Miss. It must've been their hiring of Marshall Henderson as a grad manager that sealed it for him.

brianstl and BilliesBy40 like this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He just committed to Ole Miss. It must've been their hiring of Marshall Henderson as a grad manager that sealed it for him.

I'll miss Marshall's live reporting from inside a war.  That was some crazy stuff, but makes sense given how crazy he is. 

23 hours ago, bauman said:

Make that Okoro and Bell.  Let's not forget Jimmy who seems to be working his tail off.

Totally agree.  I think Bell will play the 5 and Okoro will play the 4.  I think of Okoro as the replacement for French, even though French often is our only big man out there.  So, when I said that I wanted a big to replace Okoro, I was referring more the the 4 than the 5.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Totally agree.  I think Bell will play the 5 and Okoro will play the 4.  I think of Okoro as the replacement for French, even though French often is our only big man out there.  So, when I said that I wanted a big to replace Okoro, I was referring more the the 4 than the 5.

It will be nice to have them and Linssen in 21-22.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I wouldnt be too surprised if Linssen started at the 4 in 21/22

Checking out Illinois’ message board today, it seems like they may be missing out on some of the wings they have been pursing. Some of the posters think the staff is pushing hard for Nesbitt now since he hasn’t committed yet and some of their other targets may be leaning elsewhere.