Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

doesnt martin typically wait until a recruit has already verbally committed to start recruiting?  

Lol Roy. I’m not sure how much success Martin is gonna have at flipping guys these days.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

hearing the same frustration from my mizzou friends.  It sounds to me Martin and co are spending all their time and resources on kids out of Michigan.

Ol’Mizzou is just waving the white flag when it comes to St. Louis recruits.

They know they can’t beat out Ford and company so they stopped trying.

jweste216 likes this

What was the name of the Illini recruiting "insider" that had like a twitter meltdown a few years ago.  He would keep deleting his twitter and would keep it private most of the time but would open it after Illinois got a big recruit.  He still around?  

6 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

What was the name of the Illini recruiting "insider" that had like a twitter meltdown a few years ago.  He would keep deleting his twitter and would keep it private most of the time but would open it after Illinois got a big recruit.  He still around?  

Sounds entertaining. I’m sorry, I love the Billikens. I want to see them make deep tournament runs SO BADLY!  But if you’re so invested in a school’s athletics that you repeatedly have social media meltdowns, to the point that you have to make your account private, you probably needed to reassess your priorities.

*referring to the Illini fan.

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Roy Schmidt. Not sure if he’s still around. I stopped following him on Twitter. Sad deal in a way; he used to be fairly good, but then he got Twitter and kind of went unhinged.

38 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Lol Roy. I’m not sure how much success Martin is gonna have at flipping guys these days.

you are assuming way too much integrity

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you are assuming way too much integrity

Actually Roy, the opposite. I totally agree with you. I’m not saying he won’t TRY to flip guys, but who’s gonna back out of their commitment to flip to a bottom-4 SEC school where .500 in conference play seems more than a bit optimistic? He was able to get away with it briefly after the Porter brothers fell into his lap after Romar got fired at Washington and the untrained eye saw Martin as a master recruiter. That’s not the case anymore. Martin’s not fooling people anymore.

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Actually Roy, the opposite. I totally agree with you. I’m not saying he won’t TRY to flip guys, but who’s gonna back out of their commitment to flip to a bottom-4 SEC school where .500 in conference play seems more than a bit optimistic? He was able to get away with it briefly after the Porter brothers fell into his lap after Romar got fired at Washington and the untrained eye saw Martin as a master recruiter. That’s not the case anymore. Martin’s not fooling people anymore.

my point is his sales tools likely dont utilize mi$$ouri on floor success or not.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my point is his sales tools likely dont utilize mi$$ouri on floor success or not.  

Lol, you’re probably right about that. 

56 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

you mean the part time doctor, part DJ?

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

you mean the part time doctor, part DJ?

You say that like it’s not a normal path to take professionally. I almost majored in “Doctor DJ” at SLU, but couldn’t quite achieve high enough test scores. 

Okay, so we got one vote in courtside.

You obviously know much more than I do about Weston's relationships and the Irvin family.  I was shooting blind, lacking such knowledge.  But all that knowledge does is add minor understanding to how a Macomb, Illinois school that plays in the Summit League and goes to great places like the Dakotas, Fort Wayne and Omaha competes with the Big Ten (Michigan, Illinois), the ACC (Pitt and Wake Forest) and the Big East (Seton Hall).  Ain't gonna happen.  Not with Weston.

And not likely with any other four-star recruit for that matter either.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Okay, so we got one vote in courtside.

You obviously know much more than I do about Weston's relationships and the Irvin family.  I was shooting blind, lacking such knowledge.  But all that knowledge does is add minor understanding to how a Macomb, Illinois school that plays in the Summit League and goes to great places like the Dakotas, Fort Wayne and Omaha competes with the Big Ten (Michigan, Illinois), the ACC (Pitt and Wake Forest) and the Big East (Seton Hall).  Ain't gonna happen.  Not with Weston.

And not likely with any other four-star recruit for that matter either.

I didn't say WIU is going to compete regularly with Power 5 schools for four star recruits. (Side note: You will regularly see three star recruits elevated to four star if a good reputation Power 5 school gets the commit. So I don't get too interested in stars. For general conversation understanding, sure). 

What I am saying is it wouldn't surprise me if WIU gets a higher profile recruit at some point. They know they are going after good players that are overlooked by big power 5's as their main driver. Irvin is already getting commitments from good players based on his previous relationships. Jeter is solid as a coach. And Irvin is just beginning there. We'll see. They may win an eye brow raising recruiting battle with some bigger hoops schools at some point. It wouldn't shock me, even in Macomb, IL. Irvin was Weston's coach at Morgan Park. They are close. That is why they are a finalist.

I would think a 3 star recruit or better,  would think long and hard before committing to Martin.  Recent players from the St. Louis area are not playing to their potential and neither is the team.  Last year they would have a good game followed by a disastrous game.  Martin is not an impressive coach.

10 hours ago, courtside said:

I didn't say WIU is going to compete regularly with Power 5 schools for four star recruits. (Side note: You will regularly see three star recruits elevated to four star if a good reputation Power 5 school gets the commit. So I don't get too interested in stars. For general conversation understanding, sure). 

What I am saying is it wouldn't surprise me if WIU gets a higher profile recruit at some point. They know they are going after good players that are overlooked by big power 5's as their main driver. Irvin is already getting commitments from good players based on his previous relationships. Jeter is solid as a coach. And Irvin is just beginning there. We'll see. They may win an eye brow raising recruiting battle with some bigger hoops schools at some point. It wouldn't shock me, even in Macomb, IL. Irvin was Weston's coach at Morgan Park. They are close. That is why they are a finalist.

Western Illinois will be on NCAA probation before the recruiting class of 2021 graduates. You can take that to the bank. 

courtside ---- I understand what you're saying and the premise, I just don't buy it in the long term.   Western could be the bridesmaid for the next 15 four-star recruits and likely won't get a one.  You yourself said Irvin was Weston's coach.  That ain't happening anymore if he's in Macomb.  Ramean Hinton was listed as a three-star recruit so we'll see how that goes and how well he does.  

What I'm seeing is Weston with Western as a finalist is an aberration, not a trend.  I am also waiting to see how the great exodus to HBCUs goes now that Makur Makur signed with Howard.  I think that's pie-in-the-sky as well.

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

courtside ---- I understand what you're saying and the premise, I just don't buy it in the long term.   Western could be the bridesmaid for the next 15 four-star recruits and likely won't get a one.  You yourself said Irvin was Weston's coach.  That ain't happening anymore if he's in Macomb.  Ramean Hinton was listed as a three-star recruit so we'll see how that goes and how well he does.  

What I'm seeing is Weston with Western as a finalist is an aberration, not a trend.  I am also waiting to see how the great exodus to HBCUs goes now that Makur Makur signed with Howard.  I think that's pie-in-the-sky as well.

My last thing on the topic is that I don't believe we are too far apart. I have consistently said I believe they can land one or two or a few higher profile recruiting battles etc... They are not going to go toe to toe with Power 5 type leagues for recruits. 

The Irvin's have an interesting mix of AAU, High School, College coaching for several decades. They have had several NBA players come through their programs. Most of their longevity has been w/their AAU program as well as long stints at various high schools.

Even if one Irvin is no longer coaching certain players, another one will be. And they go back many years with players, families etc...

I have said the same or similar in 3 posts now. Your 3 posts have moved the goalposts a little bit for me. Before you said or implied they would never win a recruiting battle for a four star player and/or against Power 5 schools. I said not so fast. They may get a few in that category. They may not. But it would certainly not surprise me. They have already gotten off to a good early start. We'll see. It's certainly a challenging place to be successful. It's not completely unheard of for a four star type of recruit to spurn some Power 5's once in a while.

St. Louisan Ryan Kalkbrenner of course is a recent example of someone who played with Mac Irvin Fire and raised his profile from zero scholarships to a dozen, rather quickly. 

Okay then, let me be crystal clear .....the Western Illinois Leathernecks, of Macomb, Illinois, residents of the Summit League, will never win a recruiting battle for a four-star or higher recruit.  I know you should never say never, but I'm comfortable making that projection.

billiken_roy likes this