Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Several factors at least from a hoophead 

STL loves Bruce Weber and K St.  Still carrying an Illini grudge

Illini have had just 3 STL recruits since 09-10 Griffey, Hill, and Smith.  Griffey way underachieved, Hill was decent on bad teams and Smith left after a year.  

Growing bias against Illini locally.  They don't recruit STL, when they do they do wrong by the players, and they don't have any national cachet anymore.  

Why would stl love Bruce Weber and K st?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

When he was coaching Illinois, they were undefeated and went to the Finals (lost to Carolina) the year STL hosted the Final Four at the dome. I was at that game. That’s my best guess.

9 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

When he was coaching Illinois, they were undefeated and went to the Finals (lost to Carolina) the year STL hosted the Final Four at the dome. I was at that game. That’s my best guess.

Plus Weber (and Lowery) have always recruited St. Louis going back to their SIUC days.  They have relationships in place that they’ve built over a long period of time.  

Also minor correction to your post - that Illinois team lost its regular season finale at Ohio State so they weren’t undefeated going into the national title game loss to UNC.

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Plus Weber (and Lowery) have always recruited St. Louis going back to their SIUC days.  They have relationships in place that they’ve built over a long period of time.  

Also minor correction to your post - that Illinois team lost its regular season finale at Ohio State so they weren’t undefeated going into the national title game loss to UNC.

I totally forgot about that Ohio State game. I’ve been thinking they were undefeated for years...and I was at that Final Four. But I was living in Lindell Towers and rarely sober back then lol.

RUBillsFan likes this

31 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Does anyone have insight into one of our current players supposedly leaking or hinting at Nesbitt’s commitment? It’s being discussed on social media, but I haven’t seen it.

I follow most of the guys on Instagram and haven’t seen anything.

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I tried to send a screenshot, but I’m at my attachment limit. Basically said Ford has done a fantastic job of recruiting Nesbitt and Nesbitt is a kid who wants to stay close to home. “Numerous sources” have told Snow that SLU is the clear leader and he has “high confidence” that Nesbitt will choose SLU.

I usually just go and delete my attachments from old posts to free up space FYI

Reinert310 likes this

13 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Brian Snow is very selective in making predictions, and generally only makes them when he’s certain on the outcome. He is 250 for 265 all time on crystal ball predictions.

bought a new washer last week.... towels coming out fresh

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I usually just go and delete my attachments from old posts to free up space FYI

8EE0EA8B-7340-4F55-9AB7-31561BAAC358.thumb.png.4fbcf187af0eec685e0b6f8457d8efcd.png

thanks @majerus mojo, I’m horrible at the interwebs, I didn’t know I could do that. This is from Snow’s write-up for his Crystal Ball prediction on Nesbitt. The generic first paragraph is cutoff, but all the relevant info is there.

1 hour ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

SLU really did a good job about keeping Goodwin. We already forgot about the 2017 fiasco. SLU promoted Goodwin as the local team leader along with promoting Hasahn and others. I think Nessbit knows he can join Hargrove as the new leader once that class leaves, and I am sure that is what Ford promoted

I’d say his cousin, Yurimania, will be our leader, and he’ll lead by example. 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Duh. Would we recruit him if he couldn't? 

The real question is whether he can dunk over a trash can. I won’t believe he can until I see video evidence of it on YouTube. The ball’s in your court Mr. Nesbitt. Time to earn that scholarship offer.

slufanskip likes this

16 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

This is a question I’ve asked myself in regards to why he’s been fairly successful in getting locals to KSU. I can see why he beat out Crews for players but doesn’t explain his luring Kasabuke and Bradford away from us. 
I think it was after Charlie left that he expressed a desire for the SLU job. I may be wrong, but I think he was still at SIU. Was the success SIU had In the dance back in the early 2000’s his doing or Painter’s? I know they had some STL kids on those teams, while we were struggling with Brad. Maybe that helped him, but those years would be ancient history to today’s recruits. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This is a question I’ve asked myself in regards to why he’s been fairly successful in getting locals to KSU. I can see why he beat out Crews for players but doesn’t explain his luring Kasabuke and Bradford away from us. 
I think it was after Charlie left that he expressed a desire for the SLU job. I may be wrong, but I think he was still at SIU. Was the success SIU had In the dance back in the early 2000’s his doing or Painter’s? I know they had some STL kids on those teams, while we were struggling with Brad. Maybe that helped him, but those years would be ancient history to today’s recruits. 

Lowery was head coach at SIU for at least 1 of their really good years back then. Not sure of the timing though.

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Weber and his assistant Chris Lowery are both former SIU coaches and sparked a brief resurgence there with local players.  They've been recruiting St. Louis for 20 years.  The Coach Ford regime is the first time they've been consistently challenged. 

Our guys have done very well in that matchup.  Four times up to the plate, they've gotten three hits and struck out once.  

11 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Is Yuri related to Nesbitt too? If so, is Nesbitt also related to Russell?

Well technically, if you go far enough back genetically, everybody is related to everybody. I watched a documentary on it. It was pretty interesting.