Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t care obviously, but I was kind of surprised how little attention Illinois basketball received locally this past winter. They were playing really well. A Billiken/Illini game as the varsity matchup with Mizzou/SIU as the junior varsity matchup would be fun this winter.

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

6 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Nesbitt has his first crystal ball prediction from 247. I think everyone will like it...

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Nesbitt-46057260/

There’s a fairly consistent pattern for local top 150 guys we land: (1) staff builds a strong relationship early; (2) local insiders, including a few on this board, begin publicizing the real possibility of the player choosing SLU; (3) national recruiting analysts join in to say SLU has a real chance; (4) player commits to SLU a few weeks later.

I like where this is headed...

9 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

To be fair, they would’ve made it this year. Regardless, it goes to show how debilitating one bad HC hire can be for a program.

and yet still lost to a trash mizzou team 

7 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I don’t care obviously, but I was kind of surprised how little attention Illinois basketball received locally this past winter. They were playing really well. A Billiken/Illini game as the varsity matchup with Mizzou/SIU as the junior varsity matchup would be fun this winter.

Several factors at least from a hoophead 

STL loves Bruce Weber and K St.  Still carrying an Illini grudge

Illini have had just 3 STL recruits since 09-10 Griffey, Hill, and Smith.  Griffey way underachieved, Hill was decent on bad teams and Smith left after a year.  

Growing bias against Illini locally.  They don't recruit STL, when they do they do wrong by the players, and they don't have any national cachet anymore.