Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

Who are you expecting to leave? They do not have any more available scholarships according to Verbal Commits

Ooh, fun.  Can I play?

I'll take who is leaving Memphis after the 20-21 season (that may or may not get played) for $200.

Cisse, Quinones, and Jeffries. 

Did I win?

Nesbitt's game is a lot like Penny's was, obviously not on the same level, but the same kind of game. I wouldn't be surprised if Penny tries to leverage that. Someone as good as Nesbitt is not scared about competition at Memphis. Ultimately, he just has to want to come here more than go there.

I don't really get the point of dropping a top 11. All power to the kid. But the top 5 will tell us a lot more. It's August and it will likely be decided in 90 days. It's not like he's going to take 11 visits. 

5 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Nesbitt's game is a lot like Penny's was, obviously not on the same level, but the same kind of game. I wouldn't be surprised if Penny tries to leverage that. Someone as good as Nesbitt is not scared about competition at Memphis. Ultimately, he just has to want to come here more than go there.

I don't really get the point of dropping a top 11. All power to the kid. But the top 5 will tell us a lot more. It's August and it will likely be decided in 90 days. It's not like he's going to take 11 visits. 

I think it was originally a top-10, and then Memphis officially offered this week, so he changed it to 11. My guess is: he probably knows who his top-5, maybe even his top-3 are, but with everything so crazy right now, doesn’t want to stop communication with coaches who might be on the outside looking in, if something crazy happens between now and when he commits. 

8 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Penny is one of the great “What if” in sports history.

The guy was incredible. Good rookie season then two years of  20+ points 7+ assists and 4+ boards per game.

Then he blows out his knee and is never the same. 
When he was at his best he was one of the most exciting players I ever saw.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

The guy was incredible. Good rookie season then two years of  20+ points 7+ assists and 4+ boards per game.

Still best Billikens opposing player I have ever seen in person.

9 hours ago, dlarry said:

Still my favorite NBA player of all time.  8th man on our back to back fraternity intramural basketball league championship team rocking some Penny's! 

13 hours ago, dlarry said:

Full disclosure, I became a Memphis fan during the Keith Lee era, and continued until I got to college. Unfortunately I was out of the country back when Memphis made their run to the Elite 8 with Penny. I loved him, and that Magic team never got enough credit for knocking off Jordan and Pippin. The only team to do that in a decade-long stretch of Bulls' dominance. Sure, it was Shaq, but Penny too.

Injuries turned him into a shell of who he was. I saw him drop a triple-double on the Celtics during his rookie season. 

Memphis is a lot like St. Louis, except they got an NBA team and it changed the dynamic. Great HS hoops and there was always a path to elite status that only required filling the college team with the local stars.

Penny can certainly recruit, although the jury is still out on whether he can coach. Ford can do both. 

Busting Brackets put out an article yesterday about Nesbitt’s 11 finalists and how he fits into each program. Here’s what the author said about SLU (pretty sure he meant A-10, not Big Ten in this):

Saint Louis Billikens

With the Missouri Tigers not even among the group of 11, the Billikens represent the true “hometown” option for Nesbitt. And the program, coming off a 23-win season, has great momentum at the moment. They’re likely to win even more games for the upcoming season, returning their top three contributors, including Hasahn French and Jordan Goodwin, who each averaged a double-double.

Nesbitt would be part of the new core after the juniors leave, joining Oregon center transfer Francis Okoro and guard Gibson Jimerson. Saint Louis would benefit from retaining a local talent such as Nesbitt in its effort to stay near the top of the Big Ten. For the player, he would have a much better chance at early minutes and thriving overall in NCAA Basketball.

Conclusion:

Jordan Nesbitt is going to make one of these programs very happy in their respective 2021 recruiting class. As of now, there’s no clear-cut favorite to land him. Without official visits at the moment, Saint Louis may have a slight edge being the local option. But don’t underestimate the other coaching staff among the top 11, who are more than capable of landing this player’s signature at the end of the day.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:01 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Busting Brackets put out an article yesterday about Nesbitt’s 11 finalists and how he fits into each program. Here’s what the author said about SLU (pretty sure he meant A-10, not Big Ten in this):

Saint Louis Billikens

With the Missouri Tigers not even among the group of 11, the Billikens represent the true “hometown” option for Nesbitt. And the program, coming off a 23-win season, has great momentum at the moment. They’re likely to win even more games for the upcoming season, returning their top three contributors, including Hasahn French and Jordan Goodwin, who each averaged a double-double.

Nesbitt would be part of the new core after the juniors leave, joining Oregon center transfer Francis Okoro and guard Gibson Jimerson. Saint Louis would benefit from retaining a local talent such as Nesbitt in its effort to stay near the top of the Big Ten. For the player, he would have a much better chance at early minutes and thriving overall in NCAA Basketball.

Conclusion:

Jordan Nesbitt is going to make one of these programs very happy in their respective 2021 recruiting class. As of now, there’s no clear-cut favorite to land him. Without official visits at the moment, Saint Louis may have a slight edge being the local option. But don’t underestimate the other coaching staff among the top 11, who are more than capable of landing this player’s signature at the end of the day.

Top of Big Ten..?

44 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, but it doesn't look like we will be able to play football this season.  I was looking forward to the SLU v Illini football game.

From what I've seen over the past few years, I think we have a shot to win that one.

5 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah tough break. The year we get into the Big 10, they cancel football.

It’s tough being a Bills fan.

First ever forward pass!