Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Commissioner of the CAA, Joe D'Antonio, was recently on Bloomberg's Business of Sports. There's not much specific to college hoops (it's kind of football heavy, especially for the CAA), but the first 12 minutes provide an interesting look at what is being discussed by schools and the challenges that they are facing: 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2020-07-22/d-antonio-on-the-complexity-facing-the-colonial-league-podcast

BilliesBy40 and HoosierPal like this

7 hours ago, Compton said:

The Commissioner of the CAA, Joe D'Antonio, was recently on Bloomberg's Business of Sports. There's not much specific to college hoops (it's kind of football heavy, especially for the CAA), but the first 12 minutes provide an interesting look at what is being discussed by schools and the challenges that they are facing: 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2020-07-22/d-antonio-on-the-complexity-facing-the-colonial-league-podcast

Thanks for the link. Very interesting and certainly impressed on me how difficult this pandemic is on collegiate sports. 

On 7/25/2020 at 6:38 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Props to Pistol for uncovering our interest in Blackmon back in September:

Blackmon had a shot at the Indiana HS scoring record set by Damon Bailey until he tore his ACL in January 2020.  He was hitting about 30 ppg, against 4A opponents, when he was injured. He is about a 38% three point shooter and listed as a Combo Guard.

His brother James Blackmon Jr, went to IU.  He could score, but had trouble defending.  Another brother, Vijay, walked on at IU but jumped over to Lindenwood last season.

3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

FWIW, one of the “insiders” on an Illini message board says that SLU is the clear favorite for Nesbitt right now.

I assume they are accusing us of recruiting violations.  That is their fan base’s m.o..

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I assume they are accusing us of recruiting violations.  That is their fan base’s m.o..

Surprisingly no one has come out and said that yet, but another poster who seems to have connections thinks this may be another Goodwin situation for them.

22 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Surprisingly no one has come out and said that yet, but another poster who seems to have connections thinks this may be another Goodwin situation for them.

Interestingly, they had the Okoro commitment pegged when most people thought he was going to Illinois State. At least one poster on that board is connected to one of Illinois’ coaches.

5 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

What does Goodwin situation mean? That they think because they have a P5 name they’re entitled? I honestly have no clue what went down with Goodwin 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What does Goodwin situation mean? That they think because they have a P5 name they’re entitled? I honestly have no clue what went down with Goodwin 

Pretty much.  Illinois Loyalty regulars had talked themselves into the notion that a Goodwin commitment was imminent.  Then Coach Ford hired Coach Tate and two weeks later Goodwin committed to us.  Illinois Loyalty went into full meltdown mode. Accusations of payola were made.  Their tears were delicious.

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Pretty much.  Illinois Loyalty regulars had talked themselves into the notion that a Goodwin commitment was imminent.  Then Coach Ford hired Coach Tate and two weeks later Goodwin committed to us.  Illinois Loyalty went into full meltdown mode. Accusations of payola were made.  Their tears were delicious.

If I remember right after Jordan caught some flack from Illini fans he said they weren't even in his top 3.

TheChosenOne likes this

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I just read all the posts on the Illini board about Nesbitt. Made me laugh. SLU absolutely MUST BE paying good players to come to SLU, but any good players that go to Illinois are totally innocent and legitimate. It stinks of so much desperation!

TheChosenOne likes this

46 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I just read all the posts on the Illini board about Nesbitt. Made me laugh. SLU absolutely MUST BE paying good players to come to SLU, but any good players that go to Illinois are totally innocent and legitimate. It stinks of so much desperation!

They just buy their players SUVs.

Reinert310 likes this

Updated bio on the new offer:

Jalen Blackmon - G, 6-2, 160 - Marion, IN (Marion) - AAU: All Ohio Red (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @Jalenblackmon1
Offers: Saint Louis, Houston, Miami-Ohio, Akron, Ball State, Grand Canyon.

Interest: Xavier, Butler, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Tennessee, Temple, Tulsa, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Indiana State, Belmont, Murray State, Austin Peay, Furman, Toledo, Akron, Western Michigan, Illinois-Chicago, Northern Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Marshall, UAB, Georgia State, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Lamar, North Dakota State, Western Illinois, Southern.

Latest News: Blackmon received an offer from SLU. He returned to competitive basketball this month after rehabbing due to the knee injury that ended his junior season and has showed out at a couple July events. (7/27/20)

Scouting Report: Blackmon is a big-time scoring guard who can absolutely fill it up from anywhere. He's a high-volume three-point shooter with a quick stroke. He has incredible feel for the game and tremendous vision. He can handle the ball and find his teammates. He reached 1,000 points mid-way through his sophomore season. A knee injury cut his junior season short at around the halfway point. His father is the head coach of his high school team and was the Indiana Mr. Basketball runner-up to Steve Alford in 1983, his oldest brother played at Indiana and is the state's 13th all-time leading HS scorer, and his other older brother is a grad transfer at Lindenwood who previously played at Indiana and St. Francis. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 121, 247Sports Composite - 155, Future150 - 142.

-Updated with the caveat that I have to update the rankings for each class, which I haven't done in 1-2 months. So his rankings might be off. Anyway, I like the timing of the offer. It's a vote of confidence for a guy just returning from a severe knee injury that ended his junior season early and derailed his attempt at the Indiana scoring record.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

we wouldn't take both Kern and Nesbitt would we? Or is Kern more of SF while Nesbitt is more of a SG/CG?

We would take both. The answer to your second question is pretty much yes. Nesbitt thinks of himself as a big CG who can play the 1 or 2 and guard almost any position.

Zink and wgstl like this

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

we wouldn't take both Kern and Nesbitt would we? Or is Kern more of SF while Nesbitt is more of a SG/CG?

I think they'll both be pretty versatile in terms of position. They both handle the ball a lot and will likely be able to guard 3 (or 4 against certain teams) positions at the next level.

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I feel like we've been seeing his top 10 for months now

I'm thinking SLU, Illinois, Alabama, Iowa State, and Seton Hall are locks from his offer list. He also seems to be liking Memphis lately, but they haven't offered yet. But I could see him including Memphis and maybe a couple other schools that he hopes come through with offers.

Nebraska and Ole Miss were among his earliest offers and have never backed off. He was among the first wave of offers for both Davis (Ole Miss) and Hoiberg (Nebraska). I could see them making the cut.

Of his other offers, Maryland, Arkansas, VT, and Clemson are the latest, and Creighton and Texas could be intriguing.

But I really think the focus will be the first five I listed, Memphis, and any other big-time programs that haven't offered yet. He's got interest from schools like Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, and some other powers. But the real bluebloods have not gotten involved yet, so the risk here is that he lists a top 10 and later we see a top 5 with a couple schools that weren't in the original 10.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm thinking SLU, Illinois, Alabama, Iowa State, and Seton Hall are locks from his offer list. He also seems to be liking Memphis lately, but they haven't offered yet. But I could see him including Memphis and maybe a couple other schools that he hopes come through with offers.

Nebraska and Ole Miss were among his earliest offers and have never backed off. He was among the first wave of offers for both Davis (Ole Miss) and Hoiberg (Nebraska). I could see them making the cut.

Of his other offers, Maryland, Arkansas, VT, and Clemson are the latest, and Creighton and Texas could be intriguing.

But I really think the focus will be the first five I listed, Memphis, and any other big-time programs that haven't offered yet. He's got interest from schools like Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, and some other powers. But the real bluebloods have not gotten involved yet, so the risk here is that he lists a top 10 and later we see a top 5 with a couple schools that weren't in the original 10.

If Arkansas is truly interested I would be concerned about them. Musselman can recruit and from his Nevada days they play an exciting brand of basketball