Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Tate was a guest on Frank's show today for a 30 minute segment.  Frank asked if Corey could see the entire 2021 class (3 scholarships) being local. He said absolutely and that the talent in the St. Louis area is A10 championship/Final Four caliber talent. 

Frank also mentioned that the program might have an addition soon for the 2020 season. Corey didn't argue that fact. I think all signs are pointing to Russell there.

17 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Coach Tate was a guest on Frank's show today for a 30 minute segment.  Frank asked if Corey could see the entire 2021 class (3 scholarships) being local. He said absolutely and that the talent in the St. Louis area is A10 championship/Final Four caliber talent. 

Frank also mentioned that the program might have an addition soon for the 2020 season. Corey didn't argue that fact. I think all signs are pointing to Russell there.

Here is the segment: https://www.spreaker.com/user/11374414/071320-4pb?utm_medium=widget&utm_source=user%3A11374414&utm_term=episode_title

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Well worth a listen. Too much to summarize. 

Hoosier...It is your thing to summarize for all of us who are surfing on Billikens.com during work.  It is not the cross you chose, but it was the one you took up. 

I look forward to your recap.  

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This last part would be disappointing. I really like the way the roster is currently constructed. Outstanding depth at all positions.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Hoosier...It is your thing to summarize for all of us who are surfing on Billikens.com during work.  It is not the cross your chose, but it was the one you took up. 

I look forward to your recap.  

This is only for SLU_Nick.  No one else can read this response  😀

On his promotion, Tate says he gets warmer popcorn.

On his quad tendon tear, Tate is about 80% recovered.  His advice to Ford when he was on the stool, give the ball to Goodwin or Hasahn, and get out of the way.

Called Goodwin family, and kind of knew what was happening with his NBA status.

Salutes Ford on the freedom he has given Goodwin, French and Perkins, letting them do what they do.  Tate knew Perkins in HS, but he had committed to SWCC by the time 'we got the job'.  This was best for us, as we had Javon Bess.  Will you trot Jimmy out there again? "No, no, no."  Going into it, Jimmy has every opportunity but this team is very deep.  Everyone has an opportunity to play.

Going really small, that is the beauty of this team, it's when Ford is at his best.  Ford likes position-less basketball; Hasahn can bring the ball up.  All these guys are fundamentally sound.

In Tate's prime, which Billiken would you not want to guard you?  "I would be a match-up problem for anyone on the team."  If you want to stop the best player on the other team who would you put on him?  Tate:  Goodwin or Thatch was his response, unless he is a guard, and then it would be Collins.

Improving Collins' shot.  "Don't have to worry about him.  Just tell him what to do, fix your jump shot, and he will do it."  Yuri can knock down shots. He has great fundamentals, just hasn't had to shoot,

Why don't you get a shot doctor for Hasahn?  "It's not a shot doctor.  If you tell Hasahn to shoot FT, he will hit 35 to 40 out of 50.  It is a mental thing in games.

Goodwin's surgery went well.  He played a lot of last year with out being able to grip the ball with his right hand.

Players are on campus, can't be working out with coaches, but can work with Strength and Conditioning coach, and can go to the gym, four at a time.

Two foreign players;  "A little concerned that they aren't here yet.  We have people working on it daily, but things are out of our control."

Jimerson is the best shooter in the program.  With Yuri passing him the ball he will be a combo of Waldman and Highmark.  He can shoot it as well as Highmark.

Both Jimerson and Thatch have their redshirts in hand.

As mentioned, players in STL are here and can help win conference championship.  Tate said "Conference Championships?  Final Four."  Today's roster, is this a Sweet 16 roster? Tate "What more do you want on a basketball roster?" 

Jimmy Bell is getting better, he is losing weight and putting on muscle mass.  He is quicker off the bounce. 

Yes on the STL local 2021 class.  "Why not all local?"

Tate is still talking to Gordon.  He is getting out of that Juco situation he got into in FL.  He will find a home soon.

The rest is about local HS hoops in Tate's time in town.

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

This last part would be disappointing. I really like the way the roster is currently constructed. Outstanding depth at all positions.

I know this is a super optimistic take, but let’s not automatically assume an addition of Russell means Lorentsson or Linssen aren’t coming. 

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is only for SLU_Nick.  No one else can read this response  😀

On his promotion, Tate says he gets warmer popcorn.

On his quad tendon tear, Tate is about 80% recovered.  His advice to Ford when he was on the stool, give the ball to Goodwin or Hasahn, and get out of the way.

Called Goodwin family, and kind of knew what was happening with his NBA status.

Salutes Ford on the freedom he has given Goodwin, French and Perkins, letting them do what they do.  Tate knew Perkins in HS, but he had committed to SWCC by the time 'we got the job'.  This was best for us, as we had Javon Bess.  Will you trot Jimmy out there again? "No, no, no."  Going into it, Jimmy has every opportunity but this team is very deep.  Everyone has an opportunity to play.

Going really small, that is the beauty of this team, it's when Ford is at his best.  Ford likes position-less basketball; Hasahn can bring the ball up.  All these guys are fundamentally sound.

In Tate's prime, which Billiken would you not want to guard you?  "I would be a match-up problem for anyone on the team."  If you want to stop the best player on the other team who would you put on him?  Tate:  Goodwin or Thatch was his response, unless he is a guard, and then it would be Collins.

Improving Collins' shot.  "Don't have to worry about him.  Just tell him what to do, fix your jump shot, and he will do it."  Yuri can knock down shots. He has great fundamentals, just hasn't had to shoot,

Why don't you get a shot doctor for Hasahn?  "It's not a shot doctor.  If you tell Hasahn to shoot FT, he will hit 35 to 40 out of 50.  It is a mental thing in games.

Goodwin's surgery went well.  He played a lot of last year with out being able to grip the ball with his right hand.

Players are on campus, can't be working out with coaches, but can work with Strength and Conditioning coach, and can go to the gym, four at a time.

Two foreign players;  "A little concerned that they aren't here yet.  We have people working on it daily, but things are out of our control."

Jimerson is the best shooter in the program.  With Yuri passing him the ball he will be a combo of Waldman and Highmark.  He can shoot it as well as Highmark.

Both Jimerson and Thatch have their redshirts in hand.

As mentioned, players in STL are here and can help win conference championship.  Tate said "Conference Championships?  Final Four."  Today's roster, is this a Sweet 16 roster? Tate "What more do you want on a basketball roster?" 

Jimmy Bell is getting better, he is losing weight and putting on muscle mass.  He is quicker off the bounce. 

Yes on the STL local 2021 class.  "Why not all local?"

Tate is still taking to Gordon.  He is getting out of that Juco situation he got into in FL.  He will find a home soon.

The rest is about local HS hoops in Tate's time in town.

Maybe it’s just me, but my favorite part of the summary was “Both Jimerson and Thatch have their redshirts in hand.” I think we all figured Fred would get 1, but I worried about Gibson. I NEVER trust the NCAA to do the right thing. #TeamBlue!

I don't think we would be recruiting for Linssen's and Lorentsson's spots for the upcoming season. They've signed LOIs, haven't been released, and we have nothing but uncertainty about the status of international players for the upcoming academic and athletic year. Giving up those spots would mean the coaches are confident that the upcoming season will be played in full and that international players aren't going to be allowed over. That's just not a scenario I would be preparing for right now. It's too soon to give up on them.

Let's say that scenario does come to fruition. The NCAA has to acknowledge that some teams are heavy with international players and might not be able to play with anywhere close to a full roster. Maybe they allow for a one-time exception to go above the scholarship limit of 13 and to bring on one-year scholarship players. In that case, SLU would have the ability to shop another scholarship or two. But again, I think we're still at least 2 months away from having that sort of thing play out. There's also a pretty thin market in terms of available players.

I think the best you could do for a 2020 player right now is to promise a walk-on spot with the knowledge that a scholarship might free up sooner than expected, but not to count on anything.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thanks Hoosier. Good stuff. One question, the trot Jimmy out there comment? Does this mean Jimmy Bell is likely not to start? 

That wasn't exactly clear. Frank was asking about starting but I couldn't tell if that's what Tate was saying or not. It seems like he was saying Bell would probably not start but that it wouldn't detract from his overall minutes.

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I know this is a super optimistic take, but let’s not automatically assume an addition of Russell means Lorentsson or Linssen aren’t coming. 

Frank mentioned that this new addition would make the team 13 deep next year. Maybe his math is off, but I assume this means that the new addition will not be taking a basketball scholarship since Okoro has the last one and is redshirting next year.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That wasn't exactly clear. Frank was asking about starting but I couldn't tell if that's what Tate was saying or not. It seems like he was saying Bell would probably not start but that it wouldn't detract from his overall minutes.

Yes that confused me too. But that is what he said. He back tracked somewhat later saying how much Bell has improved his body. 

20 minutes ago, almaman said:

Improving Collins' shot.  "Don't have to worry about him.  Just tell him what to do, fix your jump shot, and he will do it."  

tell him to bring home 3 national championships :)

Yuri is an F-ing warrior! I wouldn’t put anything past him. 😉

slufanskip likes this

Tate said he's not worried about Yuri because he's just not a player you have to worry about. He's self motivated and works incredibly hard. Called him tough as nails, and both he and Frank raved about how good a defender he is already.