Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

Is this a guy we had a high priority on? We should be hammering Clemson in recruiting if it's a high-value target to us. 

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Even after we've established ourselves as a top 50 programs, it will be tough to beat out high major programs for recruits in their own state. Just like we have an in-state recruiting advantage so does every high major program who is at least decent.

This. Also, we offered in early May so he's one of the more recent offers. He mentioned us to a recent interviewer as being involved but it's hard to say what level a priority he was.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

Is this a guy we had a high priority on? We should be hammering Clemson in recruiting if it's a high-value target to us. 

Beadle is going to an ACC school two hours from his home. It is hard for me to criticize anyone staying close to home.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, Aquinas said:

Power 5 schools and conferences are dominated by football.  2 of my daughters have graduated from the University of Florida. They attended shortly after the year UF, won national championships in football  and basketball.  There is no doubt UF liked winning a basketball title, but it LOVED winning football titles. Football stars like Tim Tebow are treated like God's, even after they graduate. There is no comparison of game day football to game day basketball.

No matter how good a power 5 basketball team is, it is the ugly step sister to football. The only exception to that is Kentucky, but only because their football team has a terrible history in the SEC. 

Yep. And even UK may be starting to change and improve in football - the problem for them, of course, is their conference rivals — Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia which remain at the top and other schools  which may be back on the uptick - Tennessee, Ole Miss, Florida, South Carolina, A&M and Mizzou.  Brutal.  

Pedulla has been on the interest list for several months. Stuen has been recruiting him. He broke out this weekend in Dallas at an event run by The Circuit League. SLU, VT, Minnesota, and Samford offered; Louisiana Tech and Tulsa offered the previous week. So even though we're one of a number of recent offers, at least we've been on him for a while. He's small but he can really play. He's got a ton of range and consistency with his shot, but he also facilitates like a high-level PG. The video above that @Franchise_08 shared is from this weekend. Updated bio:

Sean Pedulla - G, 6-1, 170 - Edmond, OK (Edmond Memorial) - AAU: Buddy Buckets (Nike Elite) - Twitter: @PedullaSean
Offers: Saint Louis, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Tulsa, Wofford, Samford, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Troy.

Interest: Dayton, Richmond, Xavier, Creighton, Florida State, Notre Dame, Illinois, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Baylor, Ole Miss, Stanford, California, Central Florida, Tulane, East Carolina, Colorado State, Boise State, Air Force, San Diego, Cornell, Columbia, Loyola-Chicago, SIU-Carbondale, Valparaiso, Belmont, Murray State, Morehead State, Southeast Missouri, Toledo, UAB, Marshall, Illinois-Chicago, Milwaukee, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas-Arlington, Arkansas State, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, South Alabama, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Iona, American, Lafayette, UC-Irvine, North Dakota, South Dakota State, Omaha, Denver, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, NJIT, Winthrop, UNC-Asheville, Charleston Southern, Merrimack, Bryant, Northern Colorado, Texas A&M-Rio Grande Valley, Stetson, Liberty, Coppin State, South Carolina State.

Latest News: Pedulla received offers from SLU and Virginia Tech. (7/9/20)

Scouting Report: Pedulla is a sharpshooting guard with serious range. He'll torch defenders if they give him space behind the three-point line, but he can put it on the deck and get to the basket or draw defenders and find an open man. He moves well off the ball, sets teammates up, and uses screens. He's smart, efficient, productive, patient, well-rounded, and plays with pace and control. He's an excellent ball handler, very good passer, and sees the floor well. He's got speed in the open court. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 158.

There was a girl's AAU tourney in Indy over the July 4th holiday.  More than 200 teams played 600 games at two sites during a four-day tourney.  While the state has a maximum of 250 people in a venue, IndyStar reporters counted nearly 400 at one venue.  The second venue reportedly had better crowd control.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/08/coronavirus-indiana-aau-scene-weighs-risk-and-reward/5393423002/

I got to say ..... I am disappointed not to be included on Duncan Powell's final list of ten but what a crappy list.  His ten include Tulsa, DePaul, Richmond and New Mexico as the only "major D1 programs" listed (and we can debate "major D1" until the cows come home).  The rest are not typical spots for a four-star recruit ..... Prairie View, Southern, Hampton, Old Dominion, Texas-San Antonio and NC A&T.  Is this part of the Makus Makur/HBCU push or what?  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I got to say ..... I am disappointed not to be included on Duncan Powell's final list of ten but what a crappy list.  His ten include Tulsa, DePaul, Richmond and New Mexico as the only "major D1 programs" listed (and we can debate "major D1" until the cows come home).  The rest are not typical spots for a four-star recruit ..... Prairie View, Southern, Hampton, Old Dominion, Texas-San Antonio and NC A&T.  Is this part of the Makus Makur/HBCU push or what?  

I’m just asking, not trying to make a particular point, do we have any idea how hard we were working Powell? Were we making him a priority? @Pistol?

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m just asking, not trying to make a particular point, do we have any idea how hard we were working Powell? Were we making him a priority? @Pistol?

Pistol would know better than me, but Ford said in an interview that they are really focusing on local recruits for this class. It’s even possible that the entire class could be from St. Louis. Frank has said for months that Nesbitt and Kern are the priorities for this recruiting class. I would assume he’s been told that by the coaching staff.

Local or not, I would welcome a four-star recruit from just about anywhere.  I see our program in a much better light than any of the ten Powell is down to.  Richmond will be done once the current year turns over and if it is successful, I could see Mooney bolting.

Who said that?  Stars do matter HOWEVER they are a part of the equation and not the end-all, be-all.  I think Jermaine Harris at Rhode Island is a bust of a four-star recruit.  Dion Wiley was a four-star entering UMd.  Tre Mitchell at Umass.  Not all liveuptothe billing or show development warranting such a rating but I'll take the promise of a four-star over Anthony Mitchell, Aaron Hines or Davell Roby any day.  

We have three open spots right now.  If the focus is St. Louis, I assume that means Nesbitt, Kern and who, one of the the bigs from DeSmet?

I’ve been monitoring Illinois’ recruiting because it seems like they will be the stiffest competition for Nesbitt (My assumption, I have not been told this by anyone). They already have a commitment from SG Luke Goode and lot of their insiders are anticipating a verbal from SG/SF David “Deivi” Jones very soon. If Jones commits, I would think that would take them out of the Nesbitt sweepstakes. Plus, Illinois has been pursuing in-state SG/SF Brandon Weston as well, whose high school teammate Adam Miller is joining the team this season.

29 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I’ve been monitoring Illinois’ recruiting because it seems like they will be the stiffest competition for Nesbitt (My assumption, I have not been told this by anyone). They already have a commitment from SG Luke Goode and lot of their insiders are anticipating a verbal from SG/SF David “Deivi” Jones very soon. If Jones commits, I would think that would take them out of the Nesbitt sweepstakes. Plus, Illinois has been pursuing in-state SG/SF Brandon Weston as well, whose high school teammate Adam Miller is joining the team this season.

Nesbitt is an oversized lead guard who can play 3 positions.  Jones is a swingman akin to former Illini Malcolm Hill.  I don't see a recruiting conflict for the Illini.  They are still stiff competition for Nesbitt.

I just want to say how much I enjoy these recruiting threads, on a personal level. I don’t know how you guys acquire all this information, but it’s always so thorough and fantastic. I always get a little jolt of excitement when I see there’s a new post in 1 of the recruiting threads. @Pistol @Coach314 @3star_recruit @SLURadioBoy and everyone else, much appreciated. 

36 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nesbitt is an oversized lead guard who can play 3 positions.  Jones is a swingman akin to former Illini Malcolm Hill.  I don't see a recruiting conflict for the Illini.  They are still stiff competition for Nesbitt.

Dang, I knew that was too easy. Do you view them as the toughest competition for Nesbitt?

30 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I just want to say how much I enjoy these recruiting threads, on a personal level. I don’t know how you guys acquire all this information, but it’s always so thorough and fantastic. I always get a little jolt of excitement when I see there’s a new post in 1 of the recruiting threads. @Pistol @Coach314 @3star_recruit @SLURadioBoy and everyone else, much appreciated. 

Appreciate it, @Reinert310. The other three you mentioned are much better sources than me. I just stalk people on Twitter.

Reinert310 likes this

Powell's top 10: DePaul, Richmond, New Mexico, Tulsa, Texas-San Antonio, Old Dominion, Southern, NC A&T, Hampton, and Prairie View A&M.

He mentioned us as one of four schools he wanted to visit shortly after decommitting from Arkansas in April, and it was clear SLU had reached back out. Then in subsequent updates, I didn't see SLU mentioned with other favorites/potential visits. I'm not sure if the disconnect was from our end or his. I would've assumed we'd make his top 10 if you had asked me, but maybe not top 5 because of how things cooled off again sometime after April.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:36 AM, Taj79 said:

Who said that?  Stars do matter HOWEVER they are a part of the equation and not the end-all, be-all.  I think Jermaine Harris at Rhode Island is a bust of a four-star recruit.  Dion Wiley was a four-star entering UMd.  Tre Mitchell at Umass.  Not all liveuptothe billing or show development warranting such a rating but I'll take the promise of a four-star over Anthony Mitchell, Aaron Hines or Davell Roby any day.  

We have three open spots right now.  If the focus is St. Louis, I assume that means Nesbitt, Kern and who, one of the the bigs from DeSmet?

The De Smet bigs are named Yaya Keita and Sekou Gassama. Keita probably has the edge as a prospect right now because I see a little more all-around athleticism in him. He also put up better numbers than Gassama this season, although Gassama was dealing with injuries for a big chunk of the season. Gassama is a better shot blocker and all-around post defender; he's typically going to guard a 5 while Keita has the 4. They put up virtually identical slashlines this season, both a little over 50% from both the field and the FT line. Neither took a big step this past HS season and would've benefited immensely from having an AAU season, especially because De Smet doesn't run its offense through them at all. 

Nesbitt and Kern are the top two in the local class.

We have an offer out to K.J. Lee of Fort Zumwalt North, former Spoon assistant Kelvin Lee's son. Zeke Moore is a good recent local comp for him. Lanky shooter, still seeing how he develops.

I'm not sure what interest we might have in anyone else locally. Cole Farrell (Hazelwood Central) has been eye opening in recent Twitter/Instagram highlights. He can jump out of the gym. Has offers from SIUE, SEMO, Louisiana-Monroe. Jonathan Dunn, his teammate, is one of the better local 2021 players and has offers from SIUE and ULM. Mario Fleming was one of the better scorers in the area and led a very good Ritter team this past season. He has a 6-9 teammate named Josh Robinson who would've been playing for BBE this AAU season and has a ULM offer. Omarion Henry, a forward from Normandy, also has a ULM offer. (Louisiana-Monroe has an assistant, Ronnie Dean, with STL ties.) Priory has a 6-8 PF named Harrison Wilmsen; I don't think he has any offers yet. You always have to keep an eye on STL Christian, as D-I level players come and go. I'll keep an eye on who is running alongside Jaden Jones and Jordan Nesbitt there, but it's a more fluid situation than other schools have.

SLU has a lot of interest in the 2022 local class, as well.