Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

7 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Power 5 is a football distinction and needs to stop being used for basketball. The Big East is a better basketball conference than the SEC and regularly better than the Big 12 and Pac 12. The Big East is a major basketball conference. The WCC and A-10 are not. 

I find it funny that the PAC 12 is still considered a power conference since the league is about as good as the American in both football and basketball lol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Power 5 is a football distinction and needs to stop being used for basketball. The Big East is a better basketball conference than the SEC and regularly better than the Big 12 and Pac 12. The Big East is a major basketball conference. The WCC and A-10 are not. 

If you can issue that edict to all members of the Media, good for you.  Let us know how that works out.  I agree it is an identifier of 5 conferences whose members all have football and that is how and why those conferences are grouped when discussing college sports.  But the point is, you and all other college sports fans know who those conferences are and therefore your request that they stop being used for basketball just ain't goin happen unless you are declared the Czar of MCBB media outlets.

I think most CBB fans would likely agree that the Big East is of similar quality as the P5 schools which is the reason you will often see the identifier P6,  grouping the Beast into a discussion along with the P5. 

Just for grins, I looked at the final NET ranking from last year and used the top 75 as a cutoff point since that is a key number in the NET formula  You brought up 3 P5 conferences in your comparison to the Big East.  Pretty interesting results on the limited sample size of one year.  Big East--9;  SEC --9;  PAC 12 --8;  Big 12 --7.  If I was a B12 supporter I would hang my hat on the additional fact of 2 of the top 5 overall were in that conference.   Not a tremendous difference in the 4 and I suspect the results would be different from year to year.

Some activity in Springfield, MO......2021 guard Isaac Haney, two time Missouri Class 1 Player of the Year at Dora, and Missouri St. Commit, is transferring to Kickapoo, which already has Mizzou commit Anton Brookshire.

Greenwood (Boo Williams) has 2021 uncommitted 5 star guard/wing Aminu Mohammed who is wide open with a long list of high major suitors. He is targeting a possible November commitment somewhere.

Both schools will be playing in Tourney of Champions next season. 

42 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Do Illini fans and media ever think that Illinois isn’t a recruit’s top choice? Apparently Prince works for Rivals.

All these P5 programs that had decades of success before falling into a rut have the same problem.  Their fans refuse to live in the present.  Lou Henson and Bill Self are not walking through that door.  Team bloggers like Prince could lower the collective blood pressure of their fanbases by managing expectations but that wouldn't get clicks.

SLURadioBoy, brianstl and Pistol like this

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

All these P5 programs that had decades of success before falling into a rut have the same problem.  Their fans refuse to live in the present.  Lou Henson and Bill Self are not walking through that door.  Team bloggers like Prince could lower the collective blood pressure of their fanbases by managing expectations but that wouldn't get clicks.

Or sell subscriptions.

BilliesBy40 likes this

On 6/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, BilliesBy40 said:

A few NCAA tournament trips in a row will not bring us to #3 on that list in the immediate future. As you alluded to in your post, those other schools have been stacking success for decades.

I agree with this. We also have to go on quite the streak of not missing NCAAs for any reason. That is what builds a program. 

Yes, there is also the issue of advancement, but a team needs to get there first. It will take a long run of tournaments and a couple 2nd weekend runs or greater before SLU gets mentioned among the elite of non-football schools. 

10 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I agree with this. We also have to go on quite the streak of not missing NCAAs for any reason. That is what builds a program. 

Yes, there is also the issue of advancement, but a team needs to get there first. It will take a long run of tournaments and a couple 2nd weekend runs or greater before SLU gets mentioned among the elite of non-football schools. 

Agreed.  Dayton is clearly the more accomplished program based on the last 10 years of results. And one bad off-season doesn't stop Wichita State from being Wichita State.  And that's just the midwest.  We have to get it done over an extended period of time.  There are no shortcuts.

Yes.  P5 is a football term.  No, P5 does not mean a program is great or even good team.    No, the use of P5 still DOES have relevance with men's basketball.

In short, the only way for SLU to gain real revenue and real exposure for the University is through men's basketball.    Maybe if SLU women's team wins the NCAA Tourney each year like UConn, or if the men's soccer team can win the NCAA Tourney again, then there will be exposure and, and if so, revenue will be earned.  And yes, revenue is realized with butts in the seats so SLU soccer does raise some revenue and should not be in the same category as the cross country teams.   But with that said, conference affiliation revenues, TV revenues (both through the airing of games/corporate sponsors) as well as butts in the seats/concessions revenue is mostly all through men's basketball. 

Basketball programs which are in the P5 (whether or not they good, have won recently -- Mizzou, Alabama, LSU... come to mind) benefit having two (2) such revenues streams -- football and men's basketball.    And with these football revenues, which dwarf basketball revenues, they can and do use these monies to hire/retain good basketball head coaches, assistance coaches, travel expenses, athlete housing and basketball recruiting budgets.   Mizzou, Alabama and LSU have this money from football whereas Seton Hall... and even the good non P5/Big East schools like Gonzaga, Xavier, Georgetown, Villanova, etc. do not.   So even when they are bad/mediocre, P5 basketball programs have a huge advantage.   Now, whether or not they take advantage of this is another issue.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

On 6/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.  P5 is a football term.  No, P5 does not mean a program is great or even good team.    No, the use of P5 still DOES have relevance with men's basketball.

In short, the only way for SLU to gain real revenue and real exposure for the University is through men's basketball.    Maybe if SLU women's team wins the NCAA Tourney each year like UConn, or if the men's soccer team can win the NCAA Tourney again, then there will be exposure and, and if so, revenue will be earned.  And yes, revenue is realized with butts in the seats so SLU soccer does raise some revenue and should not be in the same category as the cross country teams.   But with that said, conference affiliation revenues, TV revenues (both through the airing of games/corporate sponsors) as well as butts in the seats/concessions revenue is mostly all through men's basketball. 

Basketball programs which are in the P5 (whether or not they good, have won recently -- Mizzou, Alabama, LSU... come to mind) benefit having two (2) such revenues streams -- football and men's basketball.    And with these football revenues, which dwarf basketball revenues, they can and do use these monies to hire/retain good basketball head coaches, assistance coaches, travel expenses, athlete housing and basketball recruiting budgets.   Mizzou, Alabama and LSU have this money from football whereas Seton Hall... and even the good non P5/Big East schools like Gonzaga, Xavier, Georgetown, Villanova, etc. do not.   So even when they are bad/mediocre, P5 basketball programs have a huge advantage.   Now, whether or not they take advantage of this is another issue.

The SEC a couple of seasons ago sent each conf member a check for $49mil. That’s shared revenue from TV deals. Add to that what each school earns from apparel and misc license sales. I’m not sure how they handle ticket revenues, ie is it included in the shared pot or does each school get this money directly. I believe it’s the latter, but don’t know for sure. In any event FB gives these schools tremendous financial advantages. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The SEC a couple of seasons ago sent each conf member a check for $49mil. That’s shared revenue from TV deals. Add to that what each school earns from apparel and misc license sales. I’m not sure how they handle ticket revenues, ie is it included in the shared pot or does each school get this money directly. I believe it’s the latter, but don’t know for sure. In any event FB gives these schools tremendous financial advantages. 

Yep.   Which is why Mizzou has far more resources than Gonzaga and Villanova.  Mizzou is P5 and Gozaga and Villanova are not.  Big East (Villanova) and other really good basketball programs (Gonzaga) are not P5. 

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah Barnes committed to Michigan yesterday.

SLU was one of many to offer in a short span. I'm surprised to see him commit this early as he was still rising quickly.

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Isaiah Barnes committed to Michigan yesterday.

SLU was one of many to offer in a short span. I'm surprised to see him commit this early as he was still rising quickly.

Michigan’s not exactly chopped liver, Pistol. Other than Duke, UK, UNC, or KU, UofM’s a pretty big time program. 

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Michigan’s not exactly chopped liver, Pistol. Other than Duke, UK, UNC, or KU, UofM’s a pretty big time program. 

That wasn't my point. Just that given how quickly his stock was rising and how fast offers are rolling in, it's unusual to commit at that stage instead of letting the dust settle, reviewing all the options, and then choosing.

There are also guys committing now without visiting anywhere. I wonder if the 2021 class just assumes they won't be able to take visits this year, or at least not until spring or something.

AGB91 and Reinert310 like this

48 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There are also guys committing now without visiting anywhere. I wonder if the 2021 class just assumes they won't be able to take visits this year, or at least not until spring or something.

I saw an interview where a coach mentioned more guys committing "early" and that it will be interesting to see whether that leads to more de-commitments down the road. Especially if there is a point where recruits can again visit schools prior to signing day since as you said some kids are committing to schools they have never even visited. Thinking about all of is, definitely makes it nice having an experienced and well balanced roster and a number of quality prospects locally in the next few classes.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I saw an interview where a coach mentioned more guys committing "early" and that it will be interesting to see whether that leads to more de-commitments down the road. Especially if there is a point where recruits can again visit schools prior to signing day since as you said some kids are committing to schools they have never even visited. Thinking about all of is, definitely makes it nice having an experienced and well balanced roster and a number of quality prospects locally in the next few classes.

I'm expecting a ton of decommitments, whether or not guys are able to take all their visits. There's only so much you can do virtually. Then you get on campus and get a feel for the place, the coaches, and players, and maybe it's not what you thought it was. Or you aren't the player they thought you were, as they're missing out on an extended AAU season and even if the NCAA/AAU are able to host some fall events, there won't be as many to get a longer-term evaluation of a player.

On 5/7/2020 at 4:49 PM, Pistol said:

Joshua Beadle - PG, 6-4, 170 - Columbia, SC (Cardinal Newman) - AAU: Upward Stars SE - Twitter: @joshuabeadle23
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, Wake Forest, East Tennessee State, Furman, Wofford, Charleston, Elon, UNC-Wilmington, Charleston Southern, Presbyterian, South Carolina Upstate, North Carolina A&T.

Interest: Butler, St. John's, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Iowa State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina, Air Force, Penn, Loyola-Chicago, Belmont, Morehead State, Toledo, Charlotte, Marshall, Western Carolina, Chattanooga, Louisiana, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Holy Cross, William & Mary, Winthrop, Florida Gulf Coast, Stetson, Liberty, Utah Valley, South Carolina State.

Latest News: Beadle received offers from SLU and VCU. (5/7/20)

Scouting Report: Beadle is a smooth, unselfish, playmaking lefty PG. He has a high basketball IQ and great vision and passing ability, finding his teammates in transition and the half court. He's speedy with the ball in his hands and can finish with either hand. He scores on all three levels, too, and therefore projects at either guard position. He plays with good awareness at both ends and is tough and hard working.

-Being a local kid, he's on South Carolina's radar and has been on campus and to Clemson, Western Carolina, East Carolina, and a few other places. He missed about five weeks this season due to an ankle injury but came back and helped Cardinal Newman to a second straight state title. He got a Wake Forest offer from the new staff there and said he wants to visit when campuses reopen; it's his highest profile offer to date. Kid's a winner. I like the offer.

Beadle committed to Clemson.

Power 5 schools and conferences are dominated by football.  2 of my daughters have graduated from the University of Florida. They attended shortly after the year UF, won national championships in football  and basketball.  There is no doubt UF liked winning a basketball title, but it LOVED winning football titles. Football stars like Tim Tebow are treated like God's, even after they graduate. There is no comparison of game day football to game day basketball.

No matter how good a power 5 basketball team is, it is the ugly step sister to football. The only exception to that is Kentucky, but only because their football team has a terrible history in the SEC. 

50 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Is this a guy we had a high priority on? We should be hammering Clemson in recruiting if it's a high-value target to us. 

Even after we've established ourselves as a top 50 program, it will be tough to beat out high major programs for recruits in their own state. Just like we have an in-state recruiting advantage so does every high major program who is at least decent.

bauman and BilliesBy40 like this