Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

On 5/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, billiken_roy said:

same thing i thought last season with hargrove.   

I’m thinking Strickland might be like Jalen Johnson. He was a gem in the rough who was coming on but decided to transfer. Now with a  P5 in the SEC after a solid season with LATech. We could have used Johnson in the 18-19 season. I see Strickland as the same type. He likely won’t replace Javonte, but he’ll contribute. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I’m thinking Strickland might be like Jalen Johnson. He was a gem in the rough who was coming on but decided to transfer. Now with a  P5 in the SEC after a solid season with LATech. We could have used Johnson in the 18-19 season. I see Strickland as the same type. He likely won’t replace Javonte, but he’ll contribute. 

Strickland was more athletic at 15 than Jalen Johnson was at SLU. Games are so so so different.

Crewsorlose and gobillsgo like this

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Strickland was more athletic at 15 than Jalen Johnson was at SLU. Games are so so so different.

This. Could Jalen Johnson even dunk?  Definitely couldn’t dunk over a trash can, that’s for sure. 

No 2 players are exactly alike and I have not seen a lot of video of him and I am not confident in the statistics that I have seen on him.  But off hand, the player he reminds me the most of is Hargrove.  At first glance, he appears to be a quick and athletic player, ideally suited to play the wing.  We will have to see what his actual  height and weight are when he gets here. He looks like an excellent fast break kind of player, who will be able to  play a menacing defense.  Beyond that, I think we will have to wait and see.  

On 5/30/2020 at 7:56 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

This is unfortunate for BBE and all of the other teams involved.

We knew this was possible but it's still weird to see it become official. This year's recruiting calendar is evolving rapidly and I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We knew this was possible but it's still weird to see it become official. This year's recruiting calendar is evolving rapidly and I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

i am hoping it actually will assist the billikens in their pursuit of nesbitt and kern and the desmet bigs as they will obviously get less national exposure now this summer and maybe some of the blue bloods will pay them no attention.   fingers crossed as a recruiting class of the above would no doubt be a homerun imo. 

imo the most exciting thing about team blue is the fact that ford is no doubt setting up a roster that will have a very good chance of continuous excellence.   rickma had put together that excellent group of four, evans, jett, loe, and mccall, but there was no doubt that after that team graduated, the cupboard was approaching bare.   the same could be said about lisch and liddell, claggett, higmark and waldman, bonner, douglas, gray teams.   

the future is extremely bright and exciting imo.  

David King and cgeldmacher like this

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am hoping it actually will assist the billikens in their pursuit of nesbitt and kern and the desmet bigs as they will obviously get less national exposure now this summer and maybe some of the blue bloods will pay them no attention.   fingers crossed as a recruiting class of the above would no doubt be a homerun imo. 

imo the most exciting thing about team blue is the fact that ford is no doubt setting up a roster that will have a very good chance of continuous excellence.   rickma had put together that excellent group of four, evans, jett, loe, and mccall, but there was no doubt that after that team graduated, the cupboard was approaching bare.   the same could be said about lisch and liddell, claggett, higmark and waldman, bonner, douglas, gray teams.   

the future is extremely bright and exciting imo.  

Part of Nike's announcement was that they'd be creating an "access-only online portal of game footage for coaches, launching in June". The NCAA is considering a fall evaluation period, so like I said earlier in this thread, we could see some quickly organized showcase events get put together. So there might be big in-person events yet to come, just in a compressed timeline. Such events would give guys like Nesbitt or Kern a chance to blow up in a very short period of time. It might not be the level or duration of exposure that either players or coaches want, but I have to imagine there will still be a way for players to be seen. It'll be a mad scramble of a year.

Continuity has always been the challenge here, and you're right, we're finally seeing bridge classes be assembled. Instead of a huge class followed by 4 years of role players, we're seeing the talent get spread out. It's crucial for us.

Nisine "Wooga" Poplar - SG, 6-5, 190 - Philadelphia, PA (Math, Civics, & Sciences) - AAU: K-Low Elite (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @PoplarNisine
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, St. Joseph's, La Salle, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, St. John's, DePaul, Miami, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Penn State, Auburn, Georgia, Wichita State, Temple, Old Dominion, Drexel, Cal State-Bakersfield, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Central Connecticut, NJIT, Delaware State, Mississippi Valley State.

Interest: Richmond, Xavier, Creighton, Ohio State, Minnesota, Kentucky, Missouri, Connecticut, Murray State, Kent State, Saint Peter's, Quinnipiac, Rider, Niagara, Mount St. Mary's, Merrimack, Morgan State.

Latest News: Poplar received an offer from SLU. (6/2/20)

Scouting Report: Poplar is a rangy, tough, physical, athletic combo guard with the ability to get to the rim and score from distance. He has tremendous length and athleticism and is an explosive dunker. He is still developing a feel for the game and an understanding of his ability to impose his will. He handles the ball very well for his size and experience level. He's raw but his curve is off the charts. He averaged 22 points and 5 rebounds last season, leading MC&S to a Philly Public League title and being named Class AA POY. Poplar is a late bloomer, never having played organized basketball until he transferred from Vaux Big Picture to MC&S his sophomore year.

-He's been playing organized basketball for two years. He won a state title his first year and had his team on its way this season before it was cut short. He was the state POY for his class level. Just a ridiculous rise in almost no time. He's visited the Philly schools on his offer list along with St. John's and has done some Zoom visits, including Miami.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Nisine "Wooga" Poplar - SG, 6-5, 190 - Philadelphia, PA (Math, Civics, & Sciences) - AAU: K-Low Elite (Adidas Gauntlet) - Twitter: @PoplarNisine
Offers: Saint Louis, VCU, St. Joseph's, La Salle, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, St. John's, DePaul, Miami, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Penn State, Auburn, Georgia, Wichita State, Temple, Old Dominion, Drexel, Cal State-Bakersfield, Robert Morris, St. Francis (PA), Central Connecticut, NJIT, Delaware State, Mississippi Valley State.

Interest: Richmond, Xavier, Creighton, Ohio State, Minnesota, Kentucky, Missouri, Connecticut, Murray State, Kent State, Saint Peter's, Quinnipiac, Rider, Niagara, Mount St. Mary's, Merrimack, Morgan State.

Latest News: Poplar received an offer from SLU. (6/2/20)

Scouting Report: Poplar is a rangy, tough, physical, athletic combo guard with the ability to get to the rim and score from distance. He has tremendous length and athleticism and is an explosive dunker. He is still developing a feel for the game and an understanding of his ability to impose his will. He handles the ball very well for his size and experience level. He's raw but his curve is off the charts. He averaged 22 points and 5 rebounds last season, leading MC&S to a Philly Public League title and being named Class AA POY. Poplar is a late bloomer, never having played organized basketball until he transferred from Vaux Big Picture to MC&S his sophomore year.

-He's been playing organized basketball for two years. He won a state title his first year and had his team on its way this season before it was cut short. He was the state POY for his class level. Just a ridiculous rise in almost no time. He's visited the Philly schools on his offer list along with St. John's and has done some Zoom visits, including Miami.

-wow, what a story, playing for two years and this level of recruiting

-is "Wooga" the sound the car horn made in The Walton's?

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-wow, what a story, playing for two years and this level of recruiting

-is "Wooga" the sound the car horn made in The Walton's?

200.gif

it’s the sound cartoon characters make when they see a hot female cartoon character.

On 5/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, 3star_recruit said:

We're lucky to have a man of this caliber to hold so many Billiken records.  Class personified.

Yes.   Total class on and off the court.  My favorite Billiken. 

And yet, Anthony himself has said he basketball career did not get off to such a great start.   Anthony himself credits his then high school coach - the first Floyd Irons - for cutting him from the team as a Freshman in high school.  Others may recall more but Coach Irons apparently said he showed up late to the tryout...   Even though only 14 years old, many guys would have gone in the wrong direction after that.  Anthony did not.  Makes you wonder how a guy like Carte'Are Gordon would have turned out if he had received some discipline instead of coddling and cover ups.    

9 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Nesbitt is now up to #59 in the latest Rivals 150 rankings.

Keita (DeSmet) at 147 and our recent offer, Poplar is at 108, although I think our Poplar offer is more of a get-our-name- out-there offer than one we expect to be accepted.  No Kern at this point.

Frank had Earl on his radio show today to talk about the passing of Wes Unseld (his uncle) and next year's Bills team. Frank also brought up Nesbitt and mentioned that he talked to Nesbitt the other day. Jordan told him that SLU is recruiting him harder than any school right now. Earl said that he's a special player and would be another excellent addition to the roster. He saw him at a lot of the games last season and if this season is as good as he hope it will be, it will only help with getting local talent. They want to play for winning programs, which we have become.

22 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank had Earl on his radio show today to talk about the passing of Wes Unseld (his uncle) and next year's Bills team. Frank also brought up Nesbitt and mentioned that he talked to Nesbitt the other day. Jordan told him that SLU is recruiting him harder than any school right now. Earl said that he's a special player and would be another excellent addition to the roster. He saw him at a lot of the games last season and if this season is as good as he hope it will be, it will only help with getting local talent. They want to play for winning programs, which we have become.

If only every sports media outlet in St Louis (101 ESPN-our flagship station, KMOV TV (Ch 4),and the Post Disgrace) gave us half the coverage Frank does it would be nice.  Martin on Fox 2 is 2nd to Frank on 590 and Ch 5.  The others are pitiful including the rest of the 590 crew.

As far as Nesbitt coming to lots of games, let's hope that fans will be allowed into the Fetz for games this season.  I would love a recruiting class of Nesbitt, Kern and Keita to add to the addition of Okoro for next year.  That would label SLU as a MBB PROGRAM behind only the Zags and Nova of teams outside the P5.  Go get 'em Travis and Corey!  Then add Hughes Jr.; Martin and Reed the following year and we are looking at a series of 2nd weekend NCAA appearances.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

If only every sports media outlet in St Louis (101 ESPN-our flagship station, KMOV TV (Ch 4),and the Post Disgrace) gave us half the coverage Frank does it would be nice.  Martin on Fox 2 is 2nd to Frank on 590 and Ch 5.  The others are pitiful including the rest of the 590 crew.

As far as Nesbitt coming to lots of games, let's hope that fans will be allowed into the Fetz for games this season.  I would love a recruiting class of Nesbitt, Kern and Keita to add to the addition of Okoro for next year.  That would label SLU as a MBB PROGRAM behind only the Zags and Nova of teams outside the P5.  Go get 'em Travis and Corey!  Then add Hughes Jr.; Martin and Reed the following year and we are looking at a series of 2nd weekend NCAA appearances.

Nobody in STL really talks cbb. Frank is really the only one who talks about it for any long period of time.

Also, Rammer is at 590

PS - What in the world do you mean with the bolded part? Do you not consider the Big East a power conference? Even with that assumption, even I think that is some crazy homerism