Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have absolutely no concern about scoring as long as we have a legit point guard, multiple shooters on the floor and a legit big man.  The faces will change but the game will remain the same.

Then you, and I, are feeling pretty good when looking at the next 3 years.

Elite PG  :                                                                                                            Yuri  ----  Check;   Check;   Check;

Shooters :          Elite                                      A -  A+                                         JP              "

GJ             "             "               "

AL              "             "               "

Avg to hopefully avg +       C+   -   B+                                     JG              "

DJ              "              "        

TH Jr         "              "               "

MS             "              "                "

YC              "               "               "

FT Jr         "                "

Legit Big Man       :                                                                                              HF              "

FO                               "                "

ML              "                "

JB Jr           "                "                "

Looking at the roster for the next 3 years on the above chart you gotta say, "Great job TF and staff"  and the above, obviously, doesn't include the unknown future recruits.  But man, we have some skills and balance.  My only concern is how much we lose when Yuri is not on the floor.   I think someone said that Nesbitt could handle the point and if so that would make him even more important to sign for the year after this coming season.  I think this coming season we can fill minor minutes each game to rest Yuri, with JG and/or DJ.

Exciting times for Billiken basketball !

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Also keep in mind Lorentsson and Strickland will also be a year older and more experienced. Maybe we don’t replace Perkins’ scoring with just 1 player, but in the aggregate of all those players scoring a little bit more.

That was my point! 

Reinert310 likes this

This comment could go in a generic Billiken recruiting thread, I don't see one of those so here goes'

Every SLU local STL recruit should be shown the A Bonner Billiken Moment tweet.  Here is one of the all-time great Bills, at or near the top of a number of school records, who had success in 2 NIT's in NYC, and his career best memory of playing for Saint Louis U. is being able to have his family watch all his games!

Hello, Nesbitt, Kern, Martin, Hughes and Reed.

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

This comment could go in a generic Billiken recruiting thread, I don't see one of those so here goes'

Every SLU local STL recruit should be shown the A Bonner Billiken Moment tweet.  Here is one of the all-time great Bills, at or near the top of a number of school records, who had success in 2 NIT's in NYC, and his career best memory of playing for Saint Louis U. is being able to have his family watch all his games!

Hello, Nesbitt, Kern, Martin, Hughes and Reed.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. This would certainly resonate with me if I was a local recruit.

That is an awesome clip, and the man could play the game and will always be a hero in my eyes.

I still recall listening to the Loyola Chicago game where Bonner put the team on his back, set a Billiken single game scoring record of 45 points

Just for fun, I am pasting in an article form the Chicago Tribune about the game:

ST. LOUIS, BONNER BOMB LOYOLA IN OT

Bill JaussCHICAGO TRIBUNE

Quite simply, Anthony Bonner turned into Superman for 8 incredible minutes of action Thursday night at the Rosemont Horizon.

And after his school-record 45 points had triggered St. Louis to its 102-86 overtime victory over Loyola, the Billikens` 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound senior explained why his magical transformation had occurred.

''That`s what happens when you come to Michael Jordan`s town,'' said Bonner. ''You get the fever!''

It was white-hot fever. And Loyola had no Kryptonite to stop him.

Bonner hit 19 of 30 shots from the floor and all seven free throws he tried. He pulled down 20 rebounds. He made 5 assists and 4 steals. He scored 45 points and committed only one turnover in 45 minutes.

But those numbers only begin to explain Bonner`s performance in the final 7 minutes of regulation play and in the first minute of overtime. In that furious stretch, Bonner scored 24 consecutive Billiken points.

Starting when St. Louis trailed 75-65, Bonner hit his team`s last 19 points in regulation time, forcing overtime with a three-point play that tied it 84-84.

Then Bonner scored St. Louis` first five points in overtime, earning the Billikens` an 89-85 lead. Finally, he relaxed an watched his mates run up the score.

The victory gave St. Louis a 17-9 record overall, 9-4 in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference. Loyola is 6-20, 3-10.

''Never in 18 years of coaching have I seen a performance like that,''

said Loyola coach Will Rey. ''He`s the greatest competitor I`ve seen. He wanted the ball, and he got it. I`m his biggest fan.''

''Loyola knew we were going to Bonner,'' said St. Louis coach Rich Grawer. ''The crowd knew it. Loyola double-teamed him. Still he scored.''

Bonner popped jumpers from the key. He whirled left or right and drove for layups.

''I knew I wanted to take over,'' said Bonner. ''Keir Rogers and Keith Gailes were lighting it up for them. We were behind.''

His Jordanesque splurge, Bonner explained, was a matter of taking advantage of mismatches.

''Rogers (6-4, 180) is a great defensive man, but a lot shorter and smaller,'' said Bonner. ''I could shoot the jumper over him, or if he favored me left or right, I was confident I could go the other way. When they put a bigger man on me, he was a lot slower. It was really no contest. I`d take it to the basket.''

Bonner`s show spoiled noteworthy performances by several Ramblers. Rogers hit 8 of 11 shots, three from three-point range, and scored 30 before he fouled out. Gailes had three three-pointers among his 23 points. Freshman Brian Wolf scored 16 and knocked down two of his three three-pointers in a run that gave Loyola a 71-58 lead.

Rob Mizera, 6-6 walk-on, battled Bonner as tough as he could. And 5-9 Donny Sobczak went 9 for 10 from the foul line and hit a season-high 11 points.

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're lucky to have a man of this caliber to hold so many Billiken records.  Class personified.

So true and great to have him around the program! Is it sad that my primary memory of Bonner is from commercials with him selling fireworks haha.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. This would certainly resonate with me if I was a local recruit.

Thank you for sharing.

Great for selling SLU to recruits and new fans.

I hope the season can be played with fans attending it is going to be special and will probably be the reason Ford will get the recruits he wants for 2021.

Happy Friday 

59 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

That is an awesome clip, and the man could play the game and will always be a hero in my eyes.

I still recall listening to the Loyola Chicago game where Bonner put the team on his back, set a Billiken single game scoring record of 45 points

I too remember listening to the call on radio.  Was it Rammer and Claiborne?  I think that was before Earl's time.

In addition to the 45, Bonner had 20 boards and only 1 TO.  And he played all 45 minutes.  It will be extremely difficult for any future Billiken to top that overall effort.

I never got to see AB play. I got here Feb 20, 1990.  A guy a worked with listened to all the SLU games on the radio so I listened to the last couple of games and then the NIT games I believe. I need to watch some more video's. From that video he looks like he could really run the floor better than what I would have thought. 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I never got to see AB play. I got here Feb 20, 1990.  A guy a worked with listened to all the SLU games on the radio so I listened to the last couple of games and then the NIT games I believe. I need to watch some more video's. From that video he looks like he could really run the floor better than what I would have thought. 

I'm a bit too young to really remember Bonner.  I'm always amazed to see his weight listed at 215 lbs while he was at SLU.  I'm not sure if that is accurate or not, but I've seen it multiple places.  I had it in my head that Bonner was this massive guy because he grabbed so many rebounds and he's pretty jacked now even in his 40s.  He was really pretty skinny during his SLU days.

15 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm a bit too young to really remember Bonner.  I'm always amazed to see his weight listed at 215 lbs while he was at SLU.  I'm not sure if that is accurate or not, but I've seen it multiple places.  I had it in my head that Bonner was this massive guy because he grabbed so many rebounds and he's pretty jacked now even in his 40s.  He was really pretty skinny during his SLU days.

Um, I "hate" to tell you this, but A-B is actually in his 50s!

Reinert310 likes this

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Um, I "hate" to tell you this, but A-B is actually in his 50s!

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

No, Bonner was like French, a muscled athlete.  Stud.  Was at many games.

billiken_roy likes this

The first SLU basketball game I ever attended was at the old Kiel and I watched Bonner playing against Oral Roberts.

No sure but I beleive it was his freshman year.

28 minutes ago, courtside said:

Keshon Gilbert, 2021 point guard out of Las Vegas, (Durango) a UNLV commit, said he is transferring to Vashon for next season. He was born in St. Louis, lived in Peoria until high school before moving to Las Vegas. Runs with Las Vegas Knicks. 

59 minutes ago, courtside said:

Keshon Gilbert, 2021 point guard out of Las Vegas, (Durango) a UNLV commit, said he is transferring to Vashon for next season. He was born in St. Louis, lived in Peoria until high school before moving to Las Vegas. Runs with Las Vegas Knicks. 

T.J. Otzelberger should be concerned...

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Yeah.  His brother was Koray Gilbert who graduated in 2017 from Vashon.  

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

@Coach314, do you know if Kern hears from the coaching staff often? Frank always says he and Nesbitt are the staff’s priorities for 2021.

They visited pretty regularly during the year.  Not sure about phone contact.  His recruitment will be very interesting.  If things return to normal his offers will start piling up in the fall during open gym.  

SLURadioBoy and SLU_Lax like this