Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Husak didn't need shoes to be 7 feet. Husak grew while at SLU. He was at the very least 7'2 and maybe taller. Tallest Billiken player.

Tallest for sure, had him in a class.  Also retrieved balls for him during shooting warm ups and my estimate is he had about a 4 inch vertical jump... maybe 5"?  Just kidding -- sort of.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:32 AM, DoctorB said:

This debate about the "knowledge of the casual fan" seems rather quaint to me.. . .

Young people performed worst on the test. Out of all test-takers under the age of 45, only 19 percent passed.

Plus, there's, you know; stuff like this:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/02/14/277058739/1-in-4-americans-think-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2M2l82ZHzplBJI1P04IrgPLNdNQFx3QW4S0Acgw6K5JwAc3iHoQ2j1sF4

On 5/19/2020 at 12:51 PM, kshoe said:

If the majority of schools are in session and reasonable precautions are taken and someone gets sick from a virus and they have no real proof on how they got it (it could have come from their trip to the grocery store), how could any institution be held liable? People can sue for anything, but winning a lawsuit during a pandemic against an institution for doing what everyone else is doing seems far fetched.

School will get sued, I flat out guarantee it.  Presidents and admins are planning for the worst, legally speaking.  Winning a lawsuit vs. massive out of court settlements for wrongful death -- splitting haris? Well--inquiring minds want to know!  But we shall see.  Even Forbes is weighing in on this...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annaesakismith/2020/05/18/who-is-responsible-if-a-university-reopens-and-a-student-dies-from-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR2HiQYiCDTkNHozAVKWPGuPID_2QVHtgT58k2ANMNHrjr95s399fCKEcB8#457f198520a3

36 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

School will get sued, I flat out guarantee it.  Presidents and admins are planning for the worst, legally speaking.  Winning a lawsuit vs. massive out of court settlements for wrongful death -- splitting haris? Well--inquiring minds want to know!  But we shall see.  Even Forbes is weighing in on this...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annaesakismith/2020/05/18/who-is-responsible-if-a-university-reopens-and-a-student-dies-from-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR2HiQYiCDTkNHozAVKWPGuPID_2QVHtgT58k2ANMNHrjr95s399fCKEcB8#457f198520a3

You can say the same thing for any school (k-12).  

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Pretty sure the legal experts in the Forbes article say that schools shouldn’t expect to lose a lawsuit brought on by a sick student. Again, people can sue for anything these days but schools won’t need to settle for massive amounts of money out of court as you suggest.

19 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Pretty sure the legal experts in the Forbes article say that schools shouldn’t expect to lose a lawsuit brought on by a sick student. Again, people can sue for anything these days but schools won’t need to settle for massive amounts of money out of court as you suggest.

What I saw in the article was legal experts from Higher Education councils saying that a lawsuit is unreasonable.  I'm sure if you asked legal experts from the plaintiff side, it would be a much different opinion.  What you're not going to see is a bunch of high-ranking former judges weighing in and those are the people whose opinion hold the most weight.

With Ford saying on Frank’s radio show this week that they are really focusing on recruits in the St. Louis area and it’s possible that the entire 2021 class could be from the area, it got me thinking. What would your ideal class for 2021 be? I’m especially curious to hear from those who have seen a lot of these local players in action. I figure Nesbitt is a given from everyone or am I wrong?

3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I figured that was probably the consensus around here. Seems like that would be a great class, especially with Okoro becoming eligible the same season they join the team.

While I agree that Crews' three would be great, it does put all the pressure on Yuri for the PG minutes after this year-an injury to him  in 21-22 would not be able to be overcome.  Jacobs would be the only alternative.  Also, it make a PG recruit the following year (Yuri's senior yr) absolutely essential-I would love to get Martin from CBC at that point.

All this would change if we lose a player off this coming years' roster and we fill that spot with Russell.

From Rivals today on Nesbitt...

1. What prospects are you hearing the most about this spring?

Bossi: There are actually two: four-star small forward Jordan Nesbitt of St. Louis (Mo.) Christian and current three-star (but soon to be rising) shooting guard D’Marco Dunn of Fayetteville (N.C.) Westover. A big and physical wing who is an off-the-dribble playmaker, Nesbitt’s stock has exploded. There was a two-week or so stretch where I got as many calls for information about him as any prospect I’ve ever covered. Alabama, Creighton, Iowa, Mississippi, New Mexico, Seton Hall, Texas and others have offered, but if I had to guess, programs like DePaul, Illinois, Nebraska and St. Louis have put themselves in the best position so far.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-roundtable-stock-risers-transfer-rule-nba-draft-sleepers

BilliesBy40 and Bills_06 like this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

While I agree that Crews' three would be great, it does put all the pressure on Yuri for the PG minutes after this year-an injury to him  in 21-22 would not be able to be overcome.  Jacobs would be the only alternative.  Also, it make a PG recruit the following year (Yuri's senior yr) absolutely essential-I would love to get Martin from CBC at that point.

All this would change if we lose a player off this coming years' roster and we fill that spot with Russell.

I was under the impression that Nesbitt could be something of a point-forward in the mold of J-Good but more perimeter oriented. Jacobs can be a back up PG. Ford may want the successor to YC in the 2021 class, but whoever that is is going to be a lot better than Russell. 

11 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I was under the impression that Nesbitt could be something of a point-forward in the mold of J-Good but more perimeter oriented. Jacobs can be a back up PG. Ford may want the successor to YC in the 2021 class, but whoever that is is going to be a lot better than Russell. 

Exactly.   The staff has been targeting a combo guard in the 2021 class for months, with Nesbitt being the top priority.  He can play positions 1-3 at a high level.

20 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

From Rivals today on Nesbitt...

1. What prospects are you hearing the most about this spring?

Bossi: There are actually two: four-star small forward Jordan Nesbitt of St. Louis (Mo.) Christian and current three-star (but soon to be rising) shooting guard D’Marco Dunn of Fayetteville (N.C.) Westover. A big and physical wing who is an off-the-dribble playmaker, Nesbitt’s stock has exploded. There was a two-week or so stretch where I got as many calls for information about him as any prospect I’ve ever covered. Alabama, Creighton, Iowa, Mississippi, New Mexico, Seton Hall, Texas and others have offered, but if I had to guess, programs like DePaul, Illinois, Nebraska and St. Louis have put themselves in the best position so far.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-roundtable-stock-risers-transfer-rule-nba-draft-sleepers

Kind of surprising that Nesbitt is racking up all the interest  when there's been no AAU ball to highlight his game. Maybe all these coaches are reading Billikens.com for their scouting information. 

38 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Kind of surprising that Nesbitt is racking up all the interest  when there's been no AAU ball to highlight his game. Maybe all these coaches are reading Billikens.com for their scouting information. 

SLCA did a recorded showcase just a few weeks ago with some teams. It was done post quarantine. Footage got out and Nesbitt shined.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

SLCA did a recorded showcase just a few weeks ago with some teams. It was done post quarantine. Footage got out and Nesbitt shined.

There's tons of in-season footage that can be sent out to college coaches.  Players are still being evaluated, just not in person.

30 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

They reached out when he first entered the portal.  I didn't hear much after that.  

Thanks, @Coach314. I wasn’t sure if the interest was still there or not. 

I know you’ve said you don’t see Kern committing anytime soon. Have you heard anything about Nesbitt? I didn’t know if you had any connections to him or not.