Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i also worry that saint louis university is going to announce some jacked up fall semester opening b.s. that will send the two of them searching for the next leg of their life journey.   hopefully slu doesnt give them a reason to move on.  

That’s the only way I see them leaving and honestly I wouldn’t blame them one bit.

SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Who I think it hurts the most is a guy like Lorentsson. I know Sweden never really shut down, but not having any college basketball experience, he’s gonna be behind the 8-ball from a strength and conditioning standpoint. His shooting could be the great equalizer, but the sooner he’s able to get on campus, the better.

I think Jimerson is the apt comparison here. Shooting is shooting at any level. 

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i also worry that saint louis university is going to announce some jacked up fall semester opening b.s. that will send the two of them searching for the next leg of their life journey.   hopefully slu doesnt give them a reason to move on.  

If this happens it’s not going to be solely to blame on SLU or any one institution. As much as I don’t care for Freddy it’s not going to be on him. Schools have already announced they are cancelling fall break and ending their semesters at Thanksgiving as a precaution. 

1 hour ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

There was something I read earlier last week that talked about the NFL lockdown. The team knew who was dedicated when everyone came back. I don't see anyone on this team not determined though. We have one of the hardest working team I have ever seen

I agree we have a ton of hard workers on this team but this is unprecedented for a lot of these guys. They have lived for 18-21 years with weight rooms always open and courts they can always go to. I believe coaches around the country are quietly setting up OTR training sessions for their players and pickup games(you can’t tell me that Columbia Mo run wasn’t set up by just the players). 

25 minutes ago, dlarry said:

That’s the only way I see them leaving and honestly I wouldn’t blame them one bit.

-I agree and if Harris Stowe can announce they will have students on campus in the fall I would think we could, and should, too

cgeldmacher likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If this happens it’s not going to be solely to blame on SLU or any one institution. As much as I don’t care for Freddy it’s not going to be on him. Schools have already announced they are cancelling fall break and ending their semesters at Thanksgiving as a precaution.

I think that is California schools so far.  Alternatively, south Carolina and a few others are already saying they will be on campus. I'm guessing we will know more in 3-4 weeks by mid-June; or end of June by the latest. My guess:  I think we will be on campus @ SLU, more or less; from what I'm hearing there will be lots of options for students to go online.  It's extremely important to know all this ASAP, in terms of housing on campus, staffing, etc.  I was much more pessimistic a few weeks ago, but today they named the new interim Provost, Mike Lewis, whom I happen to know, and have had some dialogue with him about some of these things. There is also the liability issues making the rounds, for all you legal eagles out there.  Fred mentioned in his town hall last week that a class action lawsuit totaling $100 million would be -- let's just say for example -- a bit of a hurdle.  So in the fall, could all students be required to sign a liability agreement of some sort, in case of illness or death?  And what if students get the virus, and someone dies??  Yikes...

And thus, as for fans in the seats: I'm really not as optimistic, especially as round 2 and the next flu season descends upon us.  I'd guess the games will go on.  ps: you are right, it is not on Fred.  There are lots of cooks in the kitchen on these things...

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

so how does anyone know that everything is clear and safe until November 26th and the next day forward is dangerous?   more of the same b.s.  

not lashing out at you 05.   just the content.   

11 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I think that is California schools so far.  Alternatively, south Carolina and a few others are already saying they will be on campus. I'm guessing we will know more in 3-4 weeks by mid-June; or end of June by the latest. My guess:  I think we will be on campus @ SLU, more or less; from what I'm hearing there will be lots of options for students to go online.  It's extremely important to know all this ASAP, in terms of housing on campus, staffing, etc.  I was much more pessimistic a few weeks ago, but today they named the new interim Provost, Mike Lewis, whom I happen to know, and have had some dialogue with him about some of these things. There is also the liability issues making the rounds, for all you legal eagles out there.  Fred mentioned in his town hall last week that a class action lawsuit totaling $100 million would be -- let's just say for example -- a bit of a hurdle.  So in the fall, could all students be required to sign a liability agreement of some sort, in case of illness or death?  And what if students get the virus, and someone dies??  Yikes...

And thus, as for fans in the seats: I'm really not as optimistic, especially as round 2 and the next flu season descends upon us.  I'd guess the games will go on.  ps: you are right, it is not on Fred.  There are lots of cooks in the kitchen on these things...

Fred's no visionary but he's competent.  That's always a valuable resource in times of adversity.

10 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

If the majority of schools are in session and reasonable precautions are taken and someone gets sick from a virus and they have no real proof on how they got it (it could have come from their trip to the grocery store), how could any institution be held liable? People can sue for anything, but winning a lawsuit during a pandemic against an institution for doing what everyone else is doing seems far fetched.

kmbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Corey Frazier was just one Frank's show to talk about finally getting his degree from SLU and the Bradley Beal Elite. Frank asked him about Kern and Nesbitt specifically.

I'm paraphrasing, but Corey said that Kern is pretty much just being recruited by in-state schools at this point and he hopes that he gets a season where he can show people what he can really do with Fletcher and last year's seniors gone.

He said that Nesbitt is a special player. He's a big guard who plays relentless defense and rebounds. He has a body like Goodwin, except he's taller and better with the ball. He said SLU has done a great job recruiting him and is one of Nesbitt's top teams.

I've been dreading the season that we have to regroup without Goodwin and French, which has always made the class of 2021 huge in my mind.

Landing Okoro helps me get over the looming absence of French. Getting Nesbitt would help fill the void left by Goodwin.

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

Who I think it hurts the most is a guy like Lorentsson. I know Sweden never really shut down, but not having any college basketball experience, he’s gonna be behind the 8-ball from a strength and conditioning standpoint. His shooting could be the great equalizer, but the sooner he’s able to get on campus, the better.

I'd bet that SLU's strength coach has sent him some instructions on what he should be working on in the gym. The real problem is he's not going to get open gyms with the team to get used to the speed of play in D1. All FR struggle with that for awhile until the game slows down for them. 

Reinert310 likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I've been dreading the season that we have to regroup without Goodwin and French, which has always made the class of 2021 huge in my mind.

Landing Okoro helps me get over the looming absence of French. Getting Nesbitt would help fill the void left by Goodwin.

So true. Okoro will prevent a big drop off from French graduating and Nesbitt would help fill the void left by Goodwin (as would a healthy Thatch). That leaves Perkins and I think we have some guys on the roster who can help with that one.

Congratulations to Corey Frazier for getting his degree, that is really cool to see and likely opens some doors for him (having no clue what his career aspirations are).

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

If the majority of schools are in session and reasonable precautions are taken and someone gets sick from a virus and they have no real proof on how they got it (it could have come from their trip to the grocery store), how could any institution be held liable? People can sue for anything, but winning a lawsuit during a pandemic against an institution for doing what everyone else is doing seems far fetched.

Not to get too political, but McConnell and the Republicans want legislation to hold companies, businesses, etc free from liability in the event someone gets the disease. I'm sure school districts and colleges would be included in this legislation as well. 

As for the 21 season, I think our inside game will be better than the upcoming season. Okoro, Jimmy's a Jr, and Linnsen. That's pretty solid. JGood will be harder to replace, but Thatch, if he's back would be a good plug in. And you have Jacobs plus Jimerson. Different look but pretty potent in any event. Also, let's see what Strickland brings to the party. I guess, from what I've read on here, I'm not holding out much hope for Nesbitt. He seems to have P5 written all over him, ie they want him and he wants them. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not to get too political, but McConnell and the Republicans want legislation to hold companies, businesses, etc free from liability in the event someone gets the disease. I'm sure school districts and colleges would be included in this legislation as well. 

I don't see this happening unless they give the Dems something they desperately want in a trade off. 

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The Missouri legislature is debating immunity from lawsuits on the state level as well.  Any lawsuit over contracting COVID-19 would be a state claim, not a federal claim anyway.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The Missouri legislature is debating immunity from lawsuits on the state level as well.  Any lawsuit over contracting COVID-19 would be a state claim, not a federal claim anyway.

Unless they call a special session this won't help the start of a new year. 

56 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The White House has been in talks with university presidents and such, about this liability issue.  It's a real issue, believe me, and widely reported upon. Pence and Devos are spearheading the talks, evidently. Some sort of protection against liability would help insure more schools open, to be honest.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/15/colleges-seek-protection-lawsuits-if-they-reopen

2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Corey Frazier was just one Frank's show to talk about finally getting his degree from SLU and the Bradley Beal Elite. Frank asked him about Kern and Nesbitt specifically.

I'm paraphrasing, but Corey said that Kern is pretty much just being recruited by in-state schools at this point and he hopes that he gets a season where he can show people what he can really do with Fletcher and last year's seniors gone.

He said that Nesbitt is a special player. He's a big guard who plays relentless defense and rebounds. He has a body like Goodwin, except he's taller and better with the ball. He said SLU has done a great job recruiting him and is one of Nesbitt's top teams.

Here is the segment. Frazier starts talking about Nesbitt around 7 minutes in and Kern right after that. The more I learn about Nesbitt, the more I think he would be perfect for this team.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/11374414/051920-2pb

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

So I guess some rando made this graphic, and it wasnt a request from Jordan?

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I can't explain the graphic. According to Verbal Commits, some of these schools haven't even offered Nesbitt yet (Maryland, Ohio State, Memphis, etc.). I'm guessing this was a graphic to show the high majors that have offered or shown interest recently. I don't know why SLU wasn't on here, but Frazier seems to think SLU has a chance and is still working very hard to recruit him. I've heard the same from another source as well.

throughout the years there have been plenty of potential recruits that slu has talked to and had interest and were not being reported by recruiting services and such.  i have always assumed it was a matter of disrespect by the service/media source on slu.   no reason that isnt the case here as well.  

4 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here is the segment. Frazier starts talking about Nesbitt around 7 minutes in and Kern right after that. The more I learn about Nesbitt, the more I think he would be perfect for this team.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/11374414/051920-2pb

Heights are always suspicious.  Every recruiting site I have seen lists Nesbitt as being about an inch taller than Kern.  But this interview says Kern is taller.  For those who have seen these guys ..... what do you think their actual heights are, say compared to current Billiken players.  Taller than Hargrove or Jimerson or as tall as Perkins???

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

throughout the years there have been plenty of potential recruits that slu has talked to and had interest and were not being reported by recruiting services and such.  i have always assumed it was a matter of disrespect by the service/media source on slu.   no reason that isnt the case here as well.  

Well Nesbitt himself was the one who posted those logos of teams. So I don't think this can be a case of recruiting services not reporting anything.

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

Several posters figured out that this was not a list of finalists but a list of new offers and interest. He put a fire emoji on the post to indicate that his recruitment is heating up. This is not a finalist list.

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Heights are always suspicious.  Every recruiting site I have seen lists Nesbitt as being about an inch taller than Kern.  But this interview says Kern is taller.  For those who have seen these guys ..... what do you think their actual heights are, say compared to current Billiken players.  Taller than Hargrove or Jimerson or as tall as Perkins???

They are taller than Hargrove. Nesbitt is 6'5, no taller. Kern is slightly taller just barely 6'6. Neither of them are 6'7 or 8. Not close.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

They are taller than Hargrove. Nesbitt is 6'5, no taller. Kern is slightly taller just barely 6'6. Neither of them are 6'7 or 8. Not close.

I don't think guys — throughout all of basketball — listed at 6-7 or 6-8 are actually those heights; I think they're all an inch or two shorter.  Maybe it's their height including shoes and hair!

After standing next to Bryce Husak, one day after a visit to West Pine Gym to watch Soderberg's guys scrimmage, I "bumped into" Melvin Robinson.  Mentally I compared my memory of standing next to Husak to standing next to Big Chill, and I felt that Melvin couldn't be 7'.  I asked him if he were really seven feet tall, and he said that he is, but I didn't (and don't) believe it.

Anthony Bonner was listed at 6-8, but he's probably really 6-6.