Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good post I just have a little difference of opinion on Illinois.

With Illinois being successful  in the B10 is a threat to local recruits.  If Illinois can continue top 4 finishes in the B10 that will equate to higher NCAA tournament seedings.  The TV exposure is big they are seen on the B10 network, CBS, and ESPN.  The annual bragging rights game is exposure to the local recruits.

Missouri is a mess and you can count on coach Martin calling Okoro to see how strong his commitment to SLU is.   The coach and fan base is a mess.  Go on Tiger bore and read the boring posts of the clueless fan base.  One example on the Okoro thread is, “No big deal.  No player at SLU is worthy of being on Cuonzo’s practice squad.  This is the SEC and Mizzou”.  When Yuri committed to SLU Tiger bore read good pickup for SLU.  Correction Yuri would be a good pickup for all 350 D1 schools.  The 2 local recruits that committed to KSU Tiger bore read that those recruits were not good enough. Another gem from Tiger bore was no more St. Louis recruits.  The MIZZOU fans in my opinion have alienated the local recruits and I want to thank them for that.

Local relationships built by coach Ford and staff are special.  Kids that did not sign with SLU are attending games and watching some fun basketball and talking to their peers about being at the Billiken game.  These types of relationships and the high level of play gives local recruits a good option to play high level basketball in front of parents and friends now.

I am greedy, continue the local flow of kids and get invited to the Big East.

I believe the post you're referring to was tongue-in-cheek.  The pitchforks are coming out over on Tiger bore.

marshdylan and CBFan like this

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Hey 72, love your list. This is probably nitpicking, but if Hargrove isn’t starting in ‘21-‘22, I’ll be shocked. Although, I’m not sure who I would remove from your starter list either. Lol what a time to be a Billikens fan!

We are going to have players coming off the bench that would start on almost if not every Billiken team I've ever seen. 

We've had teams where I knew we were sure Tourney teams but I never felt like we had a great chance to make the sweet 16 without a great draw or an upset in our bracket. The Majerus teams were good and so fundamentally sound but I wasn't shocked when we lost. If Has and Goodwin are back any loss will be a huge disappointment to me (yes, I know we will have them) but we will go into every game with me believing we can win and in the large majority that we should win. If Has and JGood come back I'll feel like anything less than a sweet 16 appearance next season is a let down. 

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe the post you're referring to was tongue-in-cheek.  The pitchforks are coming out over on Tiger bore.

The pitchforks have been out for a while.

I am not sure they would have been patient with coach Ford either.

Programs need time to build and grow and get the recruiting pipeline going when the program builds momentum.

I think coach Ford understands a mid major that pays well in a good town is better than taking a job in a power 5 conference.

I like SLU’s chances in 2020 & 2021 recruits, the pipeline has been established.

Be well

Old guy and Slowry like this

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

Why go see a train wreck?  Same thing.

Hell no, the train wreck is a lot more interesting with all the mangled equipment and the surrounding field destruction. At Tiger board you just have self entitled prissy people showing their perceived superiority. A train wreck has real substance, Tiger board has the substance of a bean fart, ethereal and stinky at the same time.

bleedtheblue and AGB91 like this

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Broy gets a pass. Whatever he decides is fine by me. 

As for balance, we’ll return the Swede, Strickland, Jimerson (if he gets a medical) and the 3 unnamed FR will all be local 4 stars or above. Good building blocks. Plus any transfers Coach Wizard lands to round things out a little. Oh, ye of little faith. 

Not sure where you would get your "Oh ye, of little faith" comment?  If you would check at least the last year of my posts, I think you will find that I am as positive about the team and its coaches as any poster.  I know you and Bilikin Ray are buddies, but as a SLU grad, I would hope you spell better than him!

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

Why waste time checking Tiger bore?

I popped over there for the first (and last) time yesterday.

HUGE shout out to the Bilikens.com mods for this functional and efficient format. What the hell is that over at Tiger Board? Headers upon headers melding into disjointed lists. It's worse than a 1995 AOL chatroom. 

meerkat likes this

14 hours ago, Old guy said:

Why waste time checking Tiger bore?

As you said in your post it’s a train wreck and I do this with political sites.

I like confirmation that future local recruits will pick SLU over MU I did not like losing out on Watson and Tilmon to MU.  Even though those players have never reached their potential they might have on team blue.

Other posters have stated KSU is the biggest recruiting rival I think that will change when SLU becomes a strong mid major program similar to Butler.

Big East or bust.

35 minutes ago, CBFan said:

As you said in your post it’s a train wreck and I do this with political sites.

I like confirmation that future local recruits will pick SLU over MU I did not like losing out on Watson and Tilmon to MU.  Even though those players have never reached their potential they might have on team blue.

Other posters have stated KSU is the biggest recruiting rival I think that will change when SLU becomes a strong mid major program similar to Butler.

Big East or bust.

Good thoughts.  A few more.

First, Mizzou certainly had its fair share of bad luck/injuries/unexpected negative happenings. Odd near season ending injury Michael Porter and recently Tilmon.   But who had excelled and thrived in Columbia under Martin? Who on their team never quits?  Who elevates the play of guys around them? Who is their unselfish defensive stopper?  Sure, Tilmon has been good/solid when healthy but who is lining up to have the career he has had?  Mario McKinney quit.  Torrence Watson regressed his Soph year and could not average 5 ppg.  Mark Smith has been good but not great. Javon Pickett averageed 6 ppg. Losing conference seasons.  No chance for NCAA Tourney.  Nowhere close to being a bubble team.  Where is the talk/hype of playing for Mizzou in the SEC?  Are things better under Martin than they were under Haith?  Seems more like the same.

In contrast, we lost 4 guys due to S2, then lost Santos, followed by our top rated recruit in Gordon after half a season, lost 1 of our Big 3 for nearly the whole season, lost out best outside shooter for the season on a perimeter shooting challeneged team -  and yet guys stepped up, never quit, personally improved, somehow learned to play defense, somehow learned to play together, put the team avoided dissension and went to the NCAA Tourney last year - and were on our way to the Dance again this year - certainly a bubble team - with all the new faces in our rebuilding year.  Next year, we are poised to take a further leap.

And K-State?  Again, bottom dweller of the Big 12.  Yawn.   Few coaches are better salemen than Bruce Weber who has deep St. Louis contacts/ties along with Chris Lowery.   But how much did Stockard improve and excel under them?   How many NCAA Tournaments have they made?   Who is lining up at Vashon to be the next Stockard?  Davion Bradford looks like a good player - though we already had Bell and Diarra.  Luke Kasubke looks like a good pick up - though Jimerson was already at SLU.

BuiltFordBills likes this

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

First, Mizzou certainly had its fair share of bad luck/injuries/unexpected negative happenings. Odd near season ending injury Michael Porter and recently Tilmon.   But who had excelled and thrived in Columbia under Martin? Who on their team never quits?  Who elevates the play of guys around them? Who is their unselfish defensive stopper?  Sure, Tilmon has been good/solid when healthy but who is lining up to have the career he has had?  Mario McKinney quit.  Torrence Watson regressed his Soph year and could not average 5 ppg.  Mark Smith has been good but not great. Javon Pickett averageed 6 ppg. Losing conference seasons.  No chance for NCAA Tourney.  Nowhere close to being a bubble team.  Where is the talk/hype of playing for Mizzou in the SEC?  Are things better under Martin than they were under Haith?  Seems more like the same.

In contrast, we lost 4 guys due to S2, then lost Santos, followed by our top rated recruit in Gordon after half a season, lost 1 of our Big 3 for nearly the whole season, lost out best outside shooter for the season on a perimeter shooting challeneged team -  and yet guys stepped up, never quit, personally improved, somehow learned to play defense, somehow learned to play together, put the team avoided dissension and went to the NCAA Tourney last year - and were on our way to the Dance again this year - certainly a bubble team - with all the new faces in our rebuilding year.  Next year, we are poised to take a further leap.

And K-State?  Again, bottom dweller of the Big 12.  Yawn.   Few coaches are better salemen than Bruce Weber who has deep St. Louis contacts/ties along with Chris Lowery.   But how much did Stockard improve and excel under them?   How many NCAA Tournaments have they made?   Who is lining up at Vashon to be the next Stockard?  Davion Bradford looks like a good player - though we already had Bell and Diarra.  Luke Kasubke looks like a good pick up - though Jimerson was already at SLU.

Great points well said.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:48 AM, Clock_Tower said:

Good Observations!

On 4/26/2020 at 8:48 AM, Clock_Tower said:

“How many NCAA Tournaments have they (K State) made”

A: They made the Elite Eight 2 season ago lol

I put this in the "Welcome Francis Okoro" thread, but this probably fits better here...

Frank was just talking about this (his recruiting teaser last week) on his show again. He said Okoro was the good news he was talking about for 2020. He said he can't go into details yet for 2021, but he will talk about it as soon as he can.

gobillsgo and billikentim like this

18 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

“How many NCAA Tournaments have they (K State) made”

A: They made the Elite Eight 2 season ago lol

Yeah that was crazy.  Under Weber they have gone to the NCAA tournament five times in eight seasons with one elite eight.  They and the Jayhawks are the only Big 12 teams to have won a share of the of the conference title multiple times in the last decade.  They have been good.  We are going to be better than them going forward and Manhattan, KS is an awful place, but Weber has had a nice little run a K State. 

TheChosenOne likes this

3 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I love reading Tiger Board, the variance between incredible denial and incredible despair is incredibly entertaining.  

I can’t figure out how tiger board works...like the format.  

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I can’t figure out how tiger board works...like the format.  

Its designed for clicks. As in, the more clicks my site gets the more advertising dollars I get. So therefore reading every post requires a click. Of course what you get is people trying to make their point in one sentence or less so people don't have to click (which has its pros and cons, but more cons than not). The worst part about the format is that a really popular thread just gets pushed down the board and has no way of coming back to the top when new threads are added. One game day with accompanying posts makes any previous conversation too far gone for posting.

28 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Its designed for clicks. As in, the more clicks my site gets the more advertising dollars I get. So therefore reading every post requires a click. Of course what you get is people trying to make their point in one sentence or less so people don't have to click (which has its pros and cons, but more cons than not). The worst part about the format is that a really popular thread just gets pushed down the board and has no way of coming back to the top when new threads are added. One game day with accompanying posts makes any previous conversation too far gone for posting.

nm means no message

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard that the staff is in pretty good shape with Nesbitt. I don’t know if that means that he’s ready to commit anytime soon. After all, it looks like he’s been having a lot of virtual meetings with SEC schools lately, but I would think we will be in it until the end with him.

TheDude likes this

26 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard that the staff is in pretty good shape with Nesbitt. I don’t know if that means that he’s ready to commit anytime soon. After all, it looks like he’s been having a lot of virtual meetings with SEC schools lately, but I would think we will be in it until the end with him.

Is Nesbitt from St. Louis or did he come to attend STL Christian Academy?

Here’s a duel interview with Nesbitt and Kern. It doesn’t really go into a ton of detail about recruiting but they discuss it around the 10:00 mark. Sounds like they’re friends with each other. Hopefully they would be interested in playing college ball together.