Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SLURadioBoy said:

I hope Jamall Walker was the assistant recruiting Nesbitt for Illinois. I just saw he’s leaving Illinois to join Bryce Drew at Grand Canyon.

ha  wondering if was asked to leave.   grand canyon wouldnt seem like a step up from  a big ten team having a good run with young players.

BilliesBy40 likes this

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ha  wondering if was asked to leave.   grand canyon wouldnt seem like a step up from  a big ten team having a good run with young players.

Definitely a step down. Jamal Walker = most overrated coach in Billikens.com history. Dude was recruiting legend around here (myself included)

Walker got demoted prior to the season.  The main reason Underwood kept him on the staff after Groce was fired was for recruiting and he wasn't successful. Assistant coaches Ron Coleman and Orlando Antigua have been doing the heavy lifting on that front and Stephen Gentry took over Walker's position. 

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Brad-Underwood-shakes-up-staff-Stephen-Gentry-Jamall-Walker--134840099/

At least Underwood kept him in the mix long enough for Walker to land this position.  Maybe this is fresh start that both Bryce Drew and Walker need.

billiken_roy and Zink like this

Assistant coaches are essentially salesmen.  Selling an opportunity to play for their head coach.  And when you have a good product (head coach) to sell, you have more success and your reputation increases.  Imagine selling a product such as Travis Ford vs Jim Crews.  

29 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Assistant coaches are essentially salesmen.  Selling an opportunity to play for their head coach.  And when you have a good product (head coach) to sell, you have more success and your reputation increases.  Imagine selling a product such as Travis Ford vs Jim Crews.  

Travis Ford and Jim Crews are/were the salesmen and conductors of the product, not the product. Small but important distinction. 

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Travis Ford and Jim Crews are/were the salesmen and conductors of the product, not the product. Small but important distinction. 

Coaches are part of the package.  The bigger and more successful the coach, the bigger part of the package he is. 

Proof: Much better players are going to go commit to Iona this year, than last. Why... Patino. More proof. It is common for players to leave a program, when the head coach leaves.

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

True.  Ford and Crews sell the opportunity to be part of their program at their school - salesmen.

At the same time, the assistant coach sells a similar but different product - the opportunity to play for Crews at SLU or to play for Ford at Crews. Again, salesmen. 

Take 2 guys who are both proven good recruiting assistant coaches and see  how they do comparatively:  one recruiting for a good coach/program and the other for a bad coach/program. Who do u think will do better?  And does that mean the assistant with lesser recruiting success has turned into a bad recruiter?  I say no - still a good salesman- just a bad product to peddle. 

BilliesBy40 and Old guy like this

The best times of many a coach's life was as a 18-22 year old athlete.  Coaching is an extremely lucrative way to live vicariously through 18-22 year olds, even as an elderly man like Coach K or Boeheim.  We also live vicariously through the kids, but we don't get a dime for it.  Guess that's what makes us morons.

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The best times of many a coach's life was as a 18-22 year old athlete.  Coaching is an extremely lucrative way to live vicariously through 18-22 year olds, even as an elderly man like Coach K or Boeheim.  We also live vicariously through the kids, but we don't get a dime for it.  Guess that's what makes us morons.

Well stated. We’re idiots but can’t be fired. 

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

You certainly have to change the ways in which you derive satisfaction and happiness as you get older and less physically capable. For example, I gave up scuba diving when I realized I was not going to be able to swim against moderate currents. This was not a happy decision for me. Everyone has to  come to grips with issues like these sooner or later, preferably later. 3 star, we are not morons if we get a lot of satisfaction from seeing French and Goodwin advance towards their dream, just as we will share some of their pain if they are not able to get where they want to  go.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

You certainly have to change the ways in which you derive satisfaction and happiness as you get older and less physically capable. For example, I gave up scuba diving when I realized I was not going to be able to swim against moderate currents. This was not a happy decision for me. Everyone has to  come to grips with issues like these sooner or later, preferably later. 3 star, we are not morons if we get a lot of satisfaction from seeing French and Goodwin advance towards their dream, just as we will share some of their pain if they are not able to get where they want to  go.

MBM = Message Board Moron. Hence 3 star's use of moron

Originally started to make fun of ourselves for all thinking we know more than coaches, ex players, analysts. officials, etc ... And it still fits. At least I know there are many instances where it fits like a glove for me.